Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got 7 UMS off the 'A' i needed as part of my offer. OK, my course was oversubscribed so they were never going to let me in with less. However, the one module that brought me down was my A2 coursework (63/90). I felt that this was really good and was undermarked. So what do i do? Ask for an emergency remark. But no, turns out they can't remark coursework, only recheck the sample that was taken. It seems ludicrous that if a mistake was made in marking my coursework, I can't appeal it.

ReputationRep:
    If it's any consolation, I missed my firm offer by 4 UMS marks and was also undermarked in coursework in 2 subjects, so I know how frutrating it is. It seems like there has been some harsh/strange marking this year in certain subjects and modules, but I think you just have to be pleased that you got very good results and be happy that you're still going to a good university.

ReputationRep:
    Aww I feel really sorry for both of you, that is utterly harsh. Can neither of you get a remark at all? 7 and 4 marks is so close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo)
    Aww I feel really sorry for both of you, that is utterly harsh. Can neither of you get a remark at all? 7 and 4 marks is so close.
    I was initially offered by my school to get a priority remark, but in the end we decided against it because it probably wouldn't go up and I'm happy with my insurance now Still annoying for using my A-level results in the future though. I want to say I got 2 As, a nearly A and a C lol! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Would Cambridge not take you still knowing how close you were to your offer? From reading your posts I was really hoping you'd get in! But it's good you're happy with your insurance You would think when it's so close though the examiners'd be nice and push the grade up just a weeny bit! Good luck for uni btw!

ReputationRep:
    Oh! I'm really sorry to hear about that, worldwide and Kellywood_5. That seems so tight really - only one or two percent away . At least Exeter and Sheffield are great places, and I'm not just saying that. I've got friends at/going to each of them and they are having great fun and love it, particularly Exeter's campus which at least one friend is in love with! Despite the hill!

Coursework marking is very strange, even within our school we had a huge difference between teachers, which wasn't picked up in our internal moderation or the sampling by the exam board. I guess there's luck involved in who marks your work which seems so unfair.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.