AS Classics? Should I take it?

Watch
HarryAlexander
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So, I'm thinking of taking a gap-year next year - don't think I did so well in my A2 exams this year, I'll probably re-take next year. I wanted to pick up a couple AS levels, though I don't want to burden myself, if three A2s were difficult enough! I got ABB in AS.

I was thinking of doing the Classics? I don't know how to go about it, though. As in, what is the AS qualification actually called? (Classics or classical civilisation or classical studies) and which board should I follow? AQA or OCR? I want the easiest board. Furthermore, which topics should I go for? I really don't want anything difficult, I love the classics, but I want to ensure my place at university.

Really appreciate it!
exornatus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I do AQA Classical Civilisation, which is a great board, good modules. I took Life and Times of Cicero and The Odyssey as my AS modules, which were really interesting (although I am going to do Classics at uni, so it's my thing!). The names are confusing, but unless you want to do Latin or Ancient Greek, just stick to Classical Civilisation, though I don't know what OCR call this...?

However, I wouldn't personally pick it up as an extra along with your A2 subjects. It is a great subject, but it is more work than you'll expect! There is quite a lot of reading - I had one text for each module as compulsory reading, then about 4 more for each as recommended. You'll have an exam in each module too, which just piles on the stress in June! I think your best bet is to pick an area of Classics you're interested in, and take an Extended Project focusing on that area, if you really want to look at Classics. That way you've finished everything by Easter and Unis love it. They'll probably be more interested in an EPQ than another extra AS level, at least that is what I was told.
HarryAlexander
Rep:
?
(Original post by exornatus)
I do AQA Classical Civilisation, which is a great board, good modules. I took Life and Times of Cicero and The Odyssey as my AS modules, which were really interesting (although I am going to do Classics at uni, so it's my thing!). The names are confusing, but unless you want to do Latin or Ancient Greek, just stick to Classical Civilisation, though I don't know what OCR call this...?

However, I wouldn't personally pick it up as an extra along with your A2 subjects. It is a great subject, but it is more work than you'll expect! There is quite a lot of reading - I had one text for each module as compulsory reading, then about 4 more for each as recommended. You'll have an exam in each module too, which just piles on the stress in June! I think your best bet is to pick an area of Classics you're interested in, and take an Extended Project focusing on that area, if you really want to look at Classics. That way you've finished everything by Easter and Unis love it. They'll probably be more interested in an EPQ than another extra AS level, at least that is what I was told.
Thanks for the answer! It's just, I was not able to originally do a fourth AS in lower sixth, I got stuck with three - already putting me at a disadvantage. And, I've looked in to the EPQ and it looks incredibly hard to formulate. Plus, I'll be an external candidate, so it'll be quite expensive to do an EPQ. Is AQA classical civilisation that hard? Are there 'easier' modules?
exornatus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by HarryAlexander)
Thanks for the answer! It's just, I was not able to originally do a fourth AS in lower sixth, I got stuck with three - already putting me at a disadvantage. And, I've looked in to the EPQ and it looks incredibly hard to formulate. Plus, I'll be an external candidate, so it'll be quite expensive to do an EPQ. Is AQA classical civilisation that hard? Are there 'easier' modules?
Ah no! That's so irritating. Well I know people who have dropped two subjects after their first year and taken ClassCiv A2 and AS in a year, so it certainly would be possible. Would you be teaching yourself?

I don't know about which modules are easier, I think it depends whether you're better at History or Literature. With the OCR qualification, they have one giant A Level syllabus entitled Classics, and you pick modules from a range incorporating ancient languages, history, archaeology etc. I don't know much about it, but whenever I've looked at it, it seems very complicated! At least with AQA, you have a straightforward syllabus: you take an option 1 module and an option 2 module.

I took EPQ - it is reasonably simple to formulate, but I imagine as an external candidate certain parts, such as presentation might be tricky, and if it is expensive then you're right; an AS would be a better bet.
HarryAlexander
Rep:
?
I'd be teaching myself, if that's at all possible? Also, the AS year does not have coursework, right? I hope not anyway, as an external candidate, I can't do coursework.

Honestly, I think I'm better at literature than history, because my memory isn't the best, ha.
HarryAlexander
Rep:
?
Also, for Unit 1, I was thinking of taking either Athenian Democracy or The Life and Times of Cicero, and for Unit 2, Athenian Imperialism.

I'll call up AQA in September and inquire about the resources I'll need, so textbooks etc. How do you study it, exactly?
rubyp97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm thinking of taking Classics as well along with Geography, Biology and History - However i think this is going to be an enormous work loads , do you think its worth it?
HarryAlexander
Rep:
?
Is this your AS year? Four AS levels are the generic amount taken - plus, you drop one by A2, thus alleviating the work load even further.
rubyp97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yep planning on starting with 4 at AS
exornatus
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rubyp97)
I'm thinking of taking Classics as well along with Geography, Biology and History - However i think this is going to be an enormous work loads , do you think its worth it?
Definately worth it, and won't be too much work. I did four, mixing science and humanities (Latin, Classics, English Lit and Chemistry) and it worked out really well. Four is better, because if you screw up one unexpectedly you've got a better chance at A2 - you can drop the one you did worst in.
rubyp97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by exornatus)
Definately worth it, and won't be too much work. I did four, mixing science and humanities (Latin, Classics, English Lit and Chemistry) and it worked out really well. Four is better, because if you screw up one unexpectedly you've got a better chance at A2 - you can drop the one you did worst in.
Yeah that's what i thought better to start with more and end up with the normal amount than start off with less - I love those subjects so I will probably do better if I enjoy them
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (196)
57.65%
I don't have everything I need (144)
42.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed