The Student Room Group

Could i still do A levels?

Ok so i have reccently finished my exams as my maths gcse was the last one(Friday) I am aware of how well i did on the maths exams but cant really tell as i dont know thw grade boundaries. I really wanted a B in maths but snice i looked at the markschemes i saw taht i did silly mistakes on the exams(calc paper and non calc paper) Hopefully i get what i want though.Can colleges allow someone to do A levels whilst resitting thier maths gcse?

Any comments?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by German123
Ok so i have reccently finished my exams as my maths gcse was the last one(Friday) I am aware of how well i did on the maths exams but cant really tell as i dont know thw grade boundaries. I really wanted a B in maths but snice i looked at the markschemes i saw taht i did silly mistakes on the exams(calc paper and non calc paper) Hopefully i get what i want though.Can colleges allow someone to do A levels whilst resitting thier maths gcse?

Any comments?

There's nothing in principle stopping you from resitting your Maths GCSE whilst at college, but you would have to check the individual college's policy since it will vary.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
There's nothing in principle stopping you from resitting your Maths GCSE whilst at college, but you would have to check the individual college's policy since it will vary.

Hi, i am not saying i will fail my maths gcse as i have not got my results but just predicted my marks using my common sense. Thanks for the reply.:smile:
Reply 3

thanks i get what you mean.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4

i get what you mean
Reply 5

Any comments?

If you feel you can cope doing a resit whilst covering your A level content, I doubt the college would have any problem with that. Most colleges will charge you to be able to resit the exam. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by 06shawm
If you feel you can cope doing a resit whilst covering your A level content, I doubt the college would have any problem with that. Most colleges will charge you to be able to resit the exam. :smile:

H

i hopefully i will not have to resit my maths as i want a B but dont really know what i will get. Thanks for the reply.
Reply 7
H

i hopefully i will not have to resit my maths as i want a B but dont really know what i will get. Thanks for the reply.

No problem mate, you are always going to be the hardest judge on your own performance in an exam so I am sure you have done well enough, good luck.
Reply 8
Original post by 06shawm
No problem mate, you are always going to be the hardest judge on your own performance in an exam so I am sure you have done well enough, good luck.

Yes what you are saying is absolutely true and hopefully my hard work will pay off. Even if i o get a good grade in maths i would still want to resit for a higher grade so when comes to uni aplication i will not be disadvantage because of my grade. Are the november resits scrapped? I know the jauary resits are but i am not sure of november resits?

:smile:
Reply 9
Yes what you are saying is absolutely true and hopefully my hard work will pay off. Even if i o get a good grade in maths i would still want to resit for a higher grade so when comes to uni aplication i will not be disadvantage because of my grade. Are the november resits scrapped? I know the jauary resits are but i am not sure of november resits?

Good logic that, I was the same as you, I resat some of my GCSE's whilst in Year 12 to get A*'s because i knew how competitive medicine was, I am not joking when I say this but the exams will appear so much easier compared to A-levels, its definitely worth it and you pretty much end up getting up full ums in the exam because they appear so simple! If I remember correctly you can only sit the exam in november if you have already sat that exam in the previous summer, which means it is aimed at resit applicants so I am pretty sure you would be eligible to do that, this also depends on the exam board and I would recommend speaking the exams officer about your options. :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 06shawm
Good logic that, I was the same as you, I resat some of my GCSE's whilst in Year 12 to get A*'s because i knew how competitive medicine was, I am not joking when I say this but the exams will appear so much easier compared to A-levels, its definitely worth it and you pretty much end up getting up full ums in the exam because they appear so simple! If I remember correctly you can only sit the exam in november if you have already sat that exam in the previous summer, which means it is aimed at resit applicants so I am pretty sure you would be eligible to do that, this also depends on the exam board and I would recommend speaking the exams officer about your options. :smile:

Thanks. My exam board for maths is edexcel. I am not sure yet whether to stay in my sixthform or go to college yet. If i was to go to college could i do A levels whilst resit maths or..?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11

Any comments?

Yeah don't worry about it you can stay in college and resit your maths whilst doing ur ALevels lots of people have done it don't stress about it i was terribly bad at maths lyk really really really bad yet my school had entered me for a higher paper whn i had finished the exam i thought i would actually fail but luckily i passed with a grade C hopefully you'll get the grade you want xxx
You can resit in November. Retakes for Maths and English GCSE are still available in November. :smile:
Thanks. My exam board for maths is edexcel. I am not sure yet whether to stay in my sixthform or go to college yet. If i was to go to college could i do A levels whilst resit maths or..?

I did edexcel GCSE maths aswell, I went to another schools sixth form but went back to my old high school and resat the my GCSE's there, that is probably the best thing to do as the exams officer at your high school will have all your details so it will be easier to enter you into the exam, so in terms of your situation if you went too college of course you can still do A level maths as long as the GCSE grade you get in your results now meets the requirements to study A level maths there. I was doing a-level biology and chemistry whilst resitting my GCSE's in those particular subjects and my teachers were fine with that, just don't let it affect your A-level studies i would say. Most teachers/colleges will understand your reasons for wanting to resit just because you yourself know you deserve and strive to achieve a higher grade in a particular subject.
Reply 14
Original post by Jerry
Yeah don't worry about it you can stay in college and resit your maths whilst doing ur ALevels lots of people have done it don't stress about it i was terribly bad at maths lyk really really really bad yet my school had entered me for a higher paper whn i had finished the exam i thought i would actually fail but luckily i passed with a grade C hopefully you'll get the grade you want xxx

yes hopefully i will get what i want as i have worked hard but say if i dont pass my maths and english then does that mean no A levels. I am not saying i may not get my A*-C in english and maths as i am yet to recceive my results on results day...........Its always good to have a back up though so i though if i dont get what i want does that mean no A levels? or the college could allow you to resit maths and english wilst doing your A levels? Hopefully i get good grades though but still would like to resit so when i apply to uni i will have a good chance into getting in.:smile:
Reply 15
yes hopefully i will get what i want as i have worked hard but say if i dont pass my maths and english then does that mean no A levels. I am not saying i may not get my A*-C in english and maths as i am yet to recceive my results on results day...........Its always good to have a back up though so i though if i dont get what i want does that mean no A levels? or the college could allow you to resit maths and english wilst doing your A levels? Hopefully i get good grades though but still would like to resit so when i apply to uni i will have a good chance into getting in.:smile:

Yeah don't worry you can still do A Levels and resit our maths/english possibly even your science as these are the main subjects you need to get into uni you'll find people in years 12 and 13 are still resitting these subjects one of my friends didn't pass her maths exams after 3 times it was so stressfull for her but yeah i'm pretty sure you'll be doing your ALevels !!

Quick Reply

Latest