Maintenance/Tuition fee LOAN interest? Watch

Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi,
I believe the general hype around these loans is that they are interest free? I seem to recall reading in the fine print that there is, in actual fact, interest payable on these loans!?! Something about interesting growing in line with inflation? Can someone confirm or explain what the deal is with interest on these loans? (Both maintenance and tuition fee). Thanks very much.

ps: tried searching TSR, but no luck so far.
sunscreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
it just means basically what you pay back will be relative to what you borrowed...

like in yeee olden days a penny was worth more than what a penny is worth now... so you'd have to pay MORE than a penny... lol if that makes sense...
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
No I'm afraid it doesn't.

I actually think it's extremely concerning that we're made to borrow so much without realizing the implications of inflation and what have you, and I swear I can quote various government sources claiming it's "interest free". Which is a rather misleading term for an average A level student having done nothing economics related with absolutely no experience... I think that's really very wrong. They even shove it all in the fine print without providing proper explanations. I know there's no excuses for ignorance, but they really should make it more transparent!!!!
Dez
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not interest free, however the interest rate is really, really low; lower than the base rate. It's hard to explain the concepts of inflation to the clueless (no offence), but you won't really be paying back any more than you borrowed.
Greenmile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The interest is in line with inflation - about 3%.

The interest applies from when you take the loan, not when you finish your course.

All the information should be in the blue book that came in the pack with your application for finance. I've forgotten what its called, but if you don't have one, you can contact your LEA for one, or may be able to view it in pdf format from the student finance direct website.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
Ah ok thanks, so is that the same infamous "inflation rate" that the BoE announces every quarter or whatever and the businesses make a huge fuss out of? Any idea what it is right now.. 3.x% I believe?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I think it's around 2.5% or something. Labour's target is 2%.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
So if I shove my extra unneeded loan into an ISA at 5.x% I can legally make profit on the loan? I keep reading its "illegal" and all that. Of course the loan would be paid into my regular student account, but once it's mine I can do whatever I want with it (or a portion of it anyway) right.
BovineBeast
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Intelligentsia)
No I'm afraid it doesn't.

I actually think it's extremely concerning that we're made to borrow so much without realizing the implications of inflation and what have you, and I swear I can quote various government sources claiming it's "interest free". Which is a rather misleading term for an average A level student having done nothing economics related with absolutely no experience... I think that's really very wrong. They even shove it all in the fine print without providing proper explanations. I know there's no excuses for ignorance, but they really should make it more transparent!!!!
Well, look at it this way - in terms of the actual number you pay back, it will be more (unless the economy deflates). But in terms of the value you pay back, it'll be the same, because prices and wages will change in the meantime.
sunscreen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BovineBeast)
Well, look at it this way - in terms of the actual number you pay back, it will be more (unless the economy deflates). But in terms of the value you pay back, it'll be the same, because prices and wages will change in the meantime.
lol like what i said...
Greenmile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Intelligentsia)
So if I shove my extra unneeded loan into an ISA at 5.x% I can legally make profit on the loan? I keep reading its "illegal" and all that. Of course the loan would be paid into my regular student account, but once it's mine I can do whatever I want with it (or a portion of it anyway) right.
I know loads of people that have done this.
None of them have been arrested yet!!

Even if it was illegal, how are they going to know?
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It is breaching the SLC's regulations, but as Greenmile said, you're unlikely to be caught for doing it.
Intelligentsia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dez)
It is breaching the SLC's regulations, but as Greenmile said, you're unlikely to be caught for doing it.
What regulation specifically... something obscure in the fine print? But yeah, I would definitely consider it.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeah, it's somewhere in the loan agreement that you'll only use it for your studies or something. I don't know the details, all I know is they technically forbid it.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (123)
18.44%
No (403)
60.42%
Not really bothered about them (141)
21.14%

Watched Threads