The Student Room Group

losing out on a university award unfairly

Hi there all, I have a question:

I study at a university that awards a substantial prize for the best grade in all sciences. The entire time myself and another student have been very close in grades, with the other student being just a few percent above myself.

But then the other student took a study abroad placement, where they get letter grades, resulting in a grade cap of 80% when they come back.

I have found the paperwork, and the student knew that they would be capped and signed off on it anyway.

This capping resulted in me having the highest grade, but at the last minute the department/ university decided to uncap their grade as it was deemed "unfair", they have not uncapped anyone else's grade, and there are many students who are affected by this but they must accept it.

To top it off, the decision was so last minute that I was on the top of the grades list, and of course thought I had won, then I was told I hadn't and to be honest I'm angry, the prize is £10000.

I honestly don't think it is fair that they have changed the rules circumstancially.

I am going to try to overturn this but I would like advice and opinions on the matter.

I thank you all for your time.
I guess it depends on their reason, but it seems rather odd. They should uncap everyone's grade, or nobody's grade. I think you should go and complain, and try to find out why they have uncapped it. Maybe they do have a legit reason for it, but it can't hurt to make sure that they do.
Reply 2
Original post by EXTREMEninja
I guess it depends on their reason, but it seems rather odd. They should uncap everyone's grade, or nobody's grade. I think you should go and complain, and try to find out why they have uncapped it. Maybe they do have a legit reason for it, but it can't hurt to make sure that they do.

I was informed that it would be "unfair" for them to cap the grade, that was the only justification, but this seems unfair to me, I'm sure there are other students who have felt the sting of being capped, and nothing has changed for them.
Original post by flapnuble
I was informed that it would be "unfair" for them to cap the grade, that was the only justification, but this seems unfair to me, I'm sure there are other students who have felt the sting of being capped, and nothing has changed for them.

Well, if the rules say that the grade gets capped, then they should stick to the rules. Either that, all they change the rule for all students affected, so everyone gets their grade uncapped. Doing it for one student is a bit strange. You should definitely press the matter, and determine exactly why they have done it, and why they have not uncapped everyone's grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending