Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do u think that Newcastle is now a better Uni than durham?
    I think over the pas few years Newcastle has risen to become THE university of the North East. Plus if you lok at the research funding Newcastle gets over twice as much as Durham off the HEFCE.

What do you think?

(Original post by doowop)
    Do u think that Newcastle is now a better Uni than durham?
    I think over the pas few years Newcastle has risen to become THE university of the North East. Plus if you lok at the research funding Newcastle gets over twice as much as Durham off the HEFCE.

What do you think?
    what do you mean 'better'? what measures would you use? how big is newcastle univeristy in terms of students? compare that to durham etc etc

who cares would be a better answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    who cares would be a better answer.
    I'm assuming people who are thinking of applying to Newcastle or Durham would care. Dont you?

I'm guessing for the all round university experience, Newcastle wins hands-down. However, on reputation alone, Durham would win (thats overall reputation however, I dont know about individual subjects).

ReputationRep:
    I probably depends on the individual subject, - what have you applied for (or thinking of apply for)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I think I'll be putting Newcastle as my insurance choice, so would also like to hear opinions, for chemical engineering if it matters.
    I'm not sure about chemical engineering in particular, but I have a friend that does Economics at Newcastle and absolutely loves it. He says the teaching staff are excellent, really like the degree and the student life is great. It depends what you're looking for really. Durham is the one that's thought to be traditionally mre reputable, and if nightlife etc is that important, you could easily go to out to Newcastle. Newcastle uni shouldn't be discounted though, it's certainly growing in prestige and the offers for some subjects are very high. Don't know if that helps, but I just thought I'd tell you what I know about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumc)
    I think I'll be putting Newcastle as my insurance choice, so would also like to hear opinions, for chemical engineering if it matters.
    you cant really compare in that area, durham doesnt do chemical engineering, but for chemistry it is much better than durham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    you cant really compare in that area, durham doesnt do chemical engineering, but for chemistry it is much better than durham
    According to whom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    According to whom?
    my personal opinion, the times university league table

ReputationRep:
    my personal opinion, the times university league table
    Fair enough. The general consensus is that Durham is better than Newcastle however.

ReputationRep:
    the times university league table
    Are you sure about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Are you sure about that?
    in the chemistry specific one yes

ReputationRep:
    in the chemistry specific one yes
    Durham is number three, behind Oxford and Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    i live in newcastle and i wud say that durham is definately got a better rep than newcastle.Saying that though newcastle is right in the centre of town and it is v. near to top nightlife so for an all round experience i'd probs say newcastle. Only problem with newcastle and northumbria for that matter is that it doesn't have the feel of a uni - it almost feels like school and i personally wudn't like 2 go there.

ReputationRep:
    out of the 2 i'd definately say i prefer durham. when i went to the newcastle open day for psychology i thought it was really badly organised and they made the course sound incredibly boring. all the other open days i went to made me excited about doing my degree, but that open day was awful. i think newcastle as a city is great for nightlife and things to do, but it just wasn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    From a medical point of view it gets quite complicated - Newcastle runs the courses at Durham and Newcastle, applications to Durham go through Newcastle only with a different campus code. Also, medical students at Durham have to study in Queens Campus, Stockton, which has a pretty high crime rate and crap night life compared to Newcastle. So from a medical point of view, Newcastle wins in my opinion.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.