The Student Room Group
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Not much lol. I only just started. I sent an email asking what we'd have to do to start it and I've just started writing out what the society would do and stuff.
Students relaxing outside, University of Chester
University of Chester
Chester
Visit website
productions, trips. we'd have to do some advertising to get members. I assume we'd get quite a few people from the drama degrees etc.

We could still join the Chester Theatre Club, too. I was thinking about starting Line Dancing Classes, too, or at least finding a class for me to attend in Chester. We'd need a lot of members to stage productions. and somewhere to do it. does Chester site have a stage, does anyone know?
Yeah, I was still going to join the Chester Theatre club. And I'm gonna find a good martial arts place somewhere. We can start advertising on here lol.
Yep. Lets start now.

Who wants to join a BRAND NEW Theatre and Drama Society at Chester University?
Reply 84
charm -if you want to do martial arts, theres a guy on TSR called NathanL who goes to Chester Uni who does karate and is thinking of taking up another martial arts in chester, so you could go to the same place as him! Im sure he wouldnt mind givin u info :smile:
Thanks :smile: Sounds good. Do you know what other martial arts that place does?
Reply 86
hmmm im not sure... il ask him next time i talk to him and let you know :biggrin:
I'm really confused. In the societies part of the guide it says there is no drama society. But I was flipping through last night and in the back there is brief mention of a drama society. So is there one or not? :confused:
Reply 89
charm, nathan says that the place he goes to does loads, it does lao chi, taekwondo, tai chi and kickboxing, amongst others aswell! other places in chester, such as the judo dojo in hoole, do both judo and aikido :biggrin:
Reply 90
Charm, have you a particular martial art you're interested in, and within that, a particular style? When I started practising karate about half a year ago, I did some research around the area and as far as I'm aware, Shotokon seems to be the style that is dominant - no wado ryu or anything like that as far as the eye can see!

Might be wrong though, but my search was pretty extensive...

The place where I do Shotokan at is Northgate Leisure centre, on Victoria Road just off the ring road (multimap will help you there) - from Parkgate and cheney road, the roads on which the uni is centered, it's about a 5 minute walk.

Like sarah said, I'm thinking about trying out Aikido in Hoole, and from the uni that's about 10-15 minute walk.

If you need any information, websites etc, give me an e-mail. Alternatively, join the Martial Arts soc and see if anyone local and more experienced can give you help.

I may know where stuff is, but I'm still a newbie :rolleyes:

Nathan :smile:
I don't really have anything in particular in mind. Just something new. I'd probably have to try a few things. I've already tried Shotokon, but I don't know. Kinda lost interest in that after a few months.

Sarah said your place does kickboxing? I'm definitely interested in that. I'll have to take a look.
Reply 92
Ahh ok. Well, if it means anything, the club is really good - really helpful and friendly faces.

But as for new stuff, as Sarah noted, there is aikido, judo, taekwondo, kung fu, tai chi, kickboxing, etc.

Nathan :smile:
It's been a great help. Thanks. Now I know where to go. It's actually really near to me too, looking at the map. I'm on Liverpool road.
Reply 94
Is anyone going to join hockey or swimming??mel xx
Reply 95
I think it'd be cool if you drama people started a society and put on a production or something!

Flyer it well, make it good and you'll get loads of people turning up!
That's what we plan to do. Be a lot of work, but it's always worth it.
I used to do Wado Ryu but would love to try Kickboxing (no contact though...get abused enough with horses :P)
I've been dying to do kickboxing for ages. Best not tell my parents for now lol They keep saying I'll break my nose.
yep, timmah that is the plan. flyers, programmes etc will all need designing, but we need members first! onstage, backstage, all sorts. phew there'll be a lot of work but it'll be well worth it if we pull it off!!!

charm, i know it says in the flyer/brochure/booklet thing about a drama club thing but if there was one there'd be one on the list on the su pages, wouldnt there. so I'm assuming not. At the moment. Soon to be one.

Latest