The Student Room Group

Why is this reaction NOT feasible at lower temperatures?

Just a quick question, on 3biii, why is the reaction 'not feasible at lower temperatures' when the free energy change on the graph shows it's <= zero, it SHOULD be feasible shouldn't it?

Link:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-QP-JUN13.PDF
Reply 1
At T lower than 500 K, delta G is positive (the Y axis has zero at the bottom) and hence not feasible. At 500 K delta G is zero and hence feasible.
Original post by ChemistryBud
I hate the how they teach the word 'feasible' at A-level, its better to say the reaction will not occur spontaneously when delta G is positive.

Feasible is a reasonable word, as actual reaction also depends on the activation energy (kinetic control). Thermodynamically feasible (spontaneous) processes do not actually have to happen.
Original post by charco
Feasible is a reasonable word, as actual reaction also depends on the activation energy (kinetic control). Thermodynamically feasible (spontaneous) processes do not actually have to happen.

Thanks charco you are correct as usual :biggrin: , i always see 'not feasible' as 'not possible'- which isn't the case as you pointed out.
Original post by ChemistryBud
Thanks charco you are correct as usual :biggrin: , i always see 'not feasible' as 'not possible'- which isn't the case as you pointed out.

actually you will find that I'm usually wrong ...

... I have it on good authority from Mrs Charco.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest