The Student Room Group

How do you draw [Co(H2NCH2CH2NH2)3]2+?

A question requires me to draw it, but the markscheme just uses words rather than a diagram so I'm a bit confused. Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Magenta96
A question requires me to draw it, but the markscheme just uses words rather than a diagram so I'm a bit confused. Thank you. :smile:

The 1,2-diaminoethane H2NCH2CH2NH2 ligand is also known as ethylenediamine or (en) for short.

You can draw the complex showing three 'en' groups datively bonded using the nitrogen lone pair in two places (bidentate) to the central metal ion ...
Reply 2
Original post by charco
The 1,2-diaminoethane H2NCH2CH2NH2 ligand is also known as ethylenediamine or (en) for short.

You can draw the complex showing three 'en' groups datively bonded using the nitrogen lone pair in two places (bidentate) to the central metal ion ...

It's just the markscheme says I should do '---' between the nitrogen atoms too and I get what that is, it's 8bii on this link:

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-CHEM5-W-MS-JUN13.PDF
Photo on 15-06-2014 at 23.50.jpg

really dodgy C-N bonding plus it looks disgusting because i had to press really hard on the sharpie to make it go through the paper (computer camera reverses the image)

but thats basically how it should sort of look - I'm sure yours will be neater!
Reply 4
Which statements are true about it?
1. It has cis and trans isomers
2. It has optical isomers
3. It is six fold coordination
Original post by AliceCaroline
Photo on 15-06-2014 at 23.50.jpg

really dodgy C-N bonding plus it looks disgusting because i had to press really hard on the sharpie to make it go through the paper (computer camera reverses the image)

but thats basically how it should sort of look - I'm sure yours will be neater!

are their suppose to be arrows pointing towards the Co to show they are dative (coordinate) covalent bonds?
Original post by helpwithchem
are their suppose to be arrows pointing towards the Co to show they are dative (coordinate) covalent bonds?

No

Quick Reply

Latest