Can working in a post office give you financial experience?

Watch
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was looking for a job that will give me financial experience and i have a local post office that has 2 people working there and i was wondering if i should apply for a part time job there

But before i do, i want to know if i will get finance experience like handling cash/money and promoting financial products like savings account and stuff or will i just deal with the mail and packages etc...
M1011
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well first off, this is clearly a question for the person you are applying to. There's no way anyone here can telepathically tell you what the specific tasks are that they are hoping to find a candidate for. All the things you mentioned can happen at a post office... is there no job description?

Secondly, why are you looking for "financial experience"? This might help us to understand what experience might be useful. I don't think anyone would consider handling cash as finance experience.
Mr T 999
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by M1011)
Well first off, this is clearly a question for the person you are applying to. There's no way anyone here can telepathically tell you what the specific tasks are that they are hoping to find a candidate for. All the things you mentioned can happen at a post office... is there no job description?

Secondly, why are you looking for "financial experience"? This might help us to understand what experience might be useful. I don't think anyone would consider handling cash as finance experience.
What is finance experience then?
Tokyoround
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
How old are you? If this will be your first job, take it. My first job was a paper route, then I worked on a market stall and then M&S. eventually, clearly, i'll be a BSD PM managing a $100bn+ fund. My point is, your first few jobs don't matter too much. If you are young then take whatever you can get.
Runninground
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My first job was in Argos and I don't think that was a factor in my firms decision to employ me... the only financial thing I dealt with there was receiving my payslip.

You have to look at it this way: Would a potential employer be more interested that you had a job with no finance responsibilities, or no job because it didn't have any finance aspects?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.44%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads