The Student Room Group
On campus at University of Worcester
University of Worcester
Worcester

Worcester Grading System

I'm currently studying at Worcester University and have noticed that our grading boundaries seems to be lot higher than the standard grading where:

70% = A/1st
60% = B/2.1
50% = C/2.2

Whereas at Worcester University we need:
82.5% = A/1st
67.5% = B/2.1
52.5% = C/2.2
The above grades are based upon how we need 16.5/20 marks for an A; 13.5/20 for a B and 10.5/20 for a C.

Surely this is unfair as it means we have to work harder to earn a 2.1 and a first?
Was wondering if anyone knew about this or could explain why these are out of line with every other university I know of?
Original post by Cazziy
X

Hi Cazziy,

We work on a bit of a different system at Worcester, which is entirely confusing when comparing to the rest of the universities in the UK.

I've previously been to the Univ. of Gloucestershire and we worked on the basis that 51% - 2:2 etc. My current course gives a table of criteria but working on letter grades doesn't help amazingly. The letter system probably doesn't correlate with your example, there'd be hell to raise if it was in fact harder to get a first at the uni.

The only thing I could find on the ILS information pages is http://www.worcester.ac.uk/registryservices/710.htm which is the makeup of your end grade.

I'd much prefer to be on a % system than letters. Still feels like I'm at school even though that was 4 years ago!

Sorry I can't answer all of your questions but I think it's just whoever sat down and worked out the grading system out in 2005 ballsed up!
On campus at University of Worcester
University of Worcester
Worcester
Reply 2
As someone who works at the University of Worcester, I'd like to reassure you that a first class grade (A- or higher; 70% and above) is just as easy - or just as difficult - to obtain as it would be at Keele, say, or any other university; our system of external examiners sees to this. I do not know anyone who grades student work using the 19 point scale. Instead, markers use the standard grades (from A+ down to H) or percentages and THEN convert to the 19 point scale for entry to the Registry system. I cannot recall the rationale for introducing the scale in ~1995, but I think it was to encourage staff to use the full range of grades at the top end. Have a word with your academic tutor about this; they will be more than happy to explain the system and, critically, reassure you that you are not at any disadvantage when it comes to grades and degree classifications. I hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by AlexMcD
As someone who works at the University of Worcester, I'd like to reassure you that a first class grade (A- or higher; 70% and above) is just as easy - or just as difficult - to obtain as it would be at Keele, say, or any other university; our system of external examiners sees to this. I do not know anyone who grades student work using the 19 point scale. Instead, markers use the standard grades (from A+ down to H) or percentages and THEN convert to the 19 point scale for entry to the Registry system. I cannot recall the rationale for introducing the scale in ~1995, but I think it was to encourage staff to use the full range of grades at the top end. Have a word with your academic tutor about this; they will be more than happy to explain the system and, critically, reassure you that you are not at any disadvantage when it comes to grades and degree classifications. I hope this helps.

Do Worcester allow for "bumping" of grades if you are very close to a first? I have 3 X A- 2 X B+
Original post by studentvl
Do Worcester allow for "bumping" of grades if you are very close to a first? I have 3 X A- 2 X B+

No.

See this page: http://www.worcester.ac.uk/registryservices/710.htm

Quick Reply

Latest