Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by blissy)
    If she can come up, I'll give her a tour and of course I won't cramp her style. She was not at all keen to come to Cambridge to begin with but she is so clever and my mum's friend has been making me send photos of me and friends at formal halls etc.

Personally, I like Churchill a lot- has a nice bar and is fairly close to the Sidg and they have the "pav" every Friday night (and I think a good student social life would be very important to her).

I'm at New Hall and from what I've experienced it IS the nicest college in the university! (yes, I know everyone says that but this time it's actually true... )
    O come off it, lets really analyse Churchill
    1) Its a monstrosity
    2) The pav bites
    3) Its no way near the sidg (assuming you mean sidgerick site)
    4) It's sole role frankly is to provide blokes for new hall, just like selwyn does for newhnam. Therefore its good for guys, less so for girls.

Sure its nice, like fat girls are bubbly
    J

ReputationRep:
    The lovely water feature outside it really attracted me to the college too. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MentallyIll)
    How much money are we talking? Are you an overseas student?
    No, not an overseas student. It would have cost too much for my family to afford, and that's all it takes. See, even small things like this really affect your university choices - I got it into my head to apply to Cambridge this time two years ago and I was told by my mum "we can't afford it" and "it's so far away". I don't think opportunities ARE the same for everyone - it was only my sheer determination to apply and to find out and send off for material to prove to my parents that living costs would be teh same. Even so, my dad has to take 6 days off a year to drive me up and down (and of course, petrol is included - as it is he drives 12 hours a day rather than stay over night because it's too expensive). Little practical things really make the difference between applying and not applying, that is why when people say that everyone has the same opporunities it upsets me just a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    No, not an overseas student. It would have cost too much for my family to afford, and that's all it takes. See, even small things like this really affect your university choices - I got it into my head to apply to Cambridge this time two years ago and I was told by my mum "we can't afford it" and "it's so far away". I don't think opportunities ARE the same for everyone - it was only my sheer determination to apply and to find out and send off for material to prove to my parents that living costs would be teh same. Even so, my dad has to take 6 days off a year to drive me up and down (and of course, petrol is included - as it is he drives 12 hours a day rather than stay over night because it's too expensive). Little practical things really make the difference between applying and not applying, that is why when people say that everyone has the same opporunities it upsets me just a little bit.
    Um, well you're there now. So you did manage it. And congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    1) Its a monstrosity
    2) The pav bites
    3) Its no way near the sidg (assuming you mean sidgerick site)
    4) It's sole role frankly is to provide blokes for new hall, just like selwyn does for newhnam. Therefore its good for guys, less so for girls.

Sure its nice, like fat girls are bubbly
    J
    I've seen worse buildings in some of the "nice" looking colleges.
    The pave is good and I know she would like it.
    It is very close to the Sidgwick site - I have found people in Cambridge can't bear walking.
    Not true in the slightest! That's what Fitz is for...

ReputationRep:
    undefined

Who would be stupid enough to suggest that eveyone has the same opportunities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    Um, well you're there now. So you did manage it. And congratulations.
    I know, but it was an uphill struggle and I know that the same things must apply to plenty of other perfectly able pupils who HAVE been put off and didn't bother to apply.

ReputationRep:
    undefined

Sorry didnt mean to make it big, but now I cant edit it back down

ReputationRep:
    undefined

Well, I've seen a lot of debating about the distinction between public schools and state schools and a lot of people (on both sides) don't take practicalities into account.

(Please don't shout at me.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)

J

hmmm........I know some girls that would disagree..........

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've seen a lot of debating about the distinction between public schools and state schools and a lot of people (on both sides) don't take practicalities into account.

(Please don't shout it me.)

I would imagine that the distinction is far too obvious than to start bringing practicalities into it...........

Didn't mean to shout

ReputationRep:
    I would imagine that the distinction is far too obvious than to start bringing practicalities into it...........

Didn't mean to shout
    no no no no ! Don't start it off again!

A lot of people who have had privileged lives (ones who went to public school and paid for it) had parents who obviously could afford that expense and so sending a child to University would not be any extra expense (perhaps even less expensive?) I'm not blaming them for not realising that money comes into going backwards and forwards to university, but I think they should be more aware that some people's parents struggle to find the money to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Even so, my dad has to take 6 days off a year to drive me up and down (and of course, petrol is included - as it is he drives 12 hours a day rather than stay over night because it's too expensive).
    Does your dad work weekends?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Does your dad work weekends?
    Saturdays. It wouldn't be possible for him to drive 12 hours in one day and work the next day (he has a very bad back that tends to give way) and so he needs to drive up on Sunday and take the Monday off to recover. (Or Saturday off and Sunday to recover)

p.s. I can see lots of BOYS sitting on the grass outside my window "revising". Imposters! Using our grass!

ReputationRep:
    no no no no ! Don't start it off again!

A lot of people who have had privileged lives (ones who went to public school and paid for it) had parents who obviously could afford that expense and so sending a child to University would not be any extra expense (perhaps even less expensive?) I'm not blaming them for not realising that money comes into going backwards and forwards to university, but I think they should be more aware that some people's parents struggle to find the money to do so.
    Yes, of course. I totally agree. Although, with all fairness, I think they do appreciate this point.

ReputationRep:

p.s. I can see lots of BOYS sitting on the grass outside my window "revising". Imposters! Using our grass!

Are they on the pull? Do you find that boys just lurk in the grounds just to find a girl to chill with?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course. I totally agree. Although, with all fairness, I think they do appreciate this point.
    I haven't got that impression generally (sorry guys!). I think a lot of them are "sheltered" (in a nice way) from the practicalities of being poor (especially in conjunction with education - it doesn't JUST mean that you tend to go to a state school).

P.s. I don't think a lot of other colleges let you sit on the grass and our garden bits are quite sweet with benches and pretty flowers. A lot of girls are, like me, hiding away revising - perhaps they are just wishing and hoping, eh?

ReputationRep:
    Saturdays. It wouldn't be possible for him to drive 12 hours in one day and work the next day (he has a very bad back that tends to give way) and so he needs to drive up on Sunday and take the Monday off to recover. (Or Saturday off and Sunday to recover)

OK, I get where you are coming from - my dad worked on Saturdays too.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of girls are, like me, hiding away revising - perhaps they are just wishing and hoping, eh?
    You're hardly revising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tek)
    You're hardly revising.
    We can multi-task!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.