Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's going to be doing maths starting this Sept just thought we could have our own thread.... (probably we already have one and I just missed it! ) Might be good to know other people for when I get stuck....
    Katie, Newnham

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    There are lots of us mathmos around. I am going to Jesus, but not yet received any confirmation letters, slightly worried.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, im going off to girton. just starting to realise that i've done basically no maths since my step exams. am i the only one? i think i might need to start getting back into it soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hello hello, Trinitarian here.

I doubt many of us have done much maths since STEP, it was rather draining.

ReputationRep:
    *waves*

I have a BMO book I keep meaning to look at, and I got a letter from the college with some suggested reading that said it included some straightforward questions to show what kind of maths I needed to still be comfortable doing when I get there. Except it didn't, it included the same pages describing the course structure that I got when I went on the open day. :confused: Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't you get the "Mathematics Workbook"?

ReputationRep:
    I just did in the post

Oh, and I'm going to St John's College.

ReputationRep:
    The most I've had from Trinity so far is a letter saying "Yup, you're in" and a form for all my bloody UMS marks. I guess they're taking their time, in typical Trinity style...

ReputationRep:
    You're not missing much - the Workbook is ten pages of pure questions (on Algebra, Trigonometry, Complex Numbers, Hyperbolic functions, Conic sections, Matrices and vectors, Differentiation, Integration, and Differential equations), which seem to be about the level of A-level questions - perhaps a little more tricky in places, but they give quite a few 'Notes' to ensure everyone can do the questions.

Compared to STEP, it's a walk in the park.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, conic sections, either i've got a really bad memory or we didnt do those. might have to learn about them. i'll wait until i get this workbook thing. and yeah, all ive had is a confirmation letter and that UMS marks thing. says ill get a freshers pack before the start of september . . .

ReputationRep:
    Me as well. Robinson haven't sent anything yet other than the UMS marks thing and a letter confirming my place. They say they'll send more stuff Sept 4th onwards.

ReputationRep:
    Yay goodo more mathmos!

Oh god- dont even mention STEP I was so so shocked when I got my grades! I likewise haven't done any maths since then (oops...) but I guess I'll have to look at that mathematical workbook at some point. And I haven't done conic sections either so I'll have to try to figure those out too Arghh so much to do - just spent an hour filling in the many, many forms from Newnham (the UMS one and a tonne of others, but still none about accommodation )

By the way- has anyone read any books from the reading list yet? I haven't and have suddenly realised how soon we're actually off to Cambridge (woo!) and think maybe I should start.... *yawn*

ReputationRep:
    I remember reading that according to Cambridge, the STEP grades someone achieves has little correlation with first year examination results and absolutely no correlation with second year examination results, which is interesting. STEP is done and dusted, no need to think about it ever again

As for a reading list... yeah, well. I don't think it's compulsory in the least - just reading for when you're interested! (I'm assuming you're referring to that list we got pre-STEP.)

ReputationRep:
    Yeh thats the one- the immensely long one with a load of historical and recreational etc books on it... I guess I'll try and look at a couple, but the main thing is this damned maths workbook, right?? Ahh the joys of STEP- what did everyone get by the way?? I scraped in with a 1,2 (my offer) lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathschick)
    Yeh thats the one- the immensely long one with a load of historical and recreational etc books on it... I guess I'll try and look at a couple, but the main thing is this damned maths workbook, right?? Ahh the joys of STEP- what did everyone get by the way?? I scraped in with a 1,2 (my offer) lol!
    This reading list? I'd already got that at the Maths open day in Year 12, so I've already read a few of the books suggested.

If you're thinking of getting a few, may I suggest:

The Man Who Loved Only Numbers - a great biography of an amusingly strange Mathematician.
    Fermat's Last Theorem - a terrific book. One of the first recreational Maths books I read, and showed me that there was far more to Maths than just endlessly solving easy questions (as school Maths had conditioned me to believe).
    Euler : The Master of Us All - this book isn't on the reading list, but it's nonetheless brilliant. Most of the Maths should be within your grasp (ignore the first reviewer who claims it's for undergrads), so you'll be able to see what a genius can do.

As for the workbook - don't worry about it. The Maths isn't difficult compared to STEP, and it's just trying to ensure everyone who goes up to Cambridge has been reminded of some of the Maths they may have forgotten (and to ensure everyone has a knowledge of most/all of the A-level Maths and Further Maths pure content).

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, THAT reading list! hehe... I also got a copy last year from an open day, and besides being lazy, Cambridge still seemed like an unreachable dream so I wasn't really too bothered with it :rolleyes: More fool me I guess!

I actually have the first 2 books- god bless libraries!- so I'll brave a look through them at some point! Thanks for the recommendations

What college are you in by the way?

Oh!! And is anyone else really excited at the prospect of getting to wear uni gowns?!?! Thats just me, isnt it...??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathschick)
    What college are you in by the way?
    I'm going to Sidney Sussex, after getting a 1,1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fatuous_philomath)
    I'm going to Sidney Sussex,
    You'll probably meet Colin then, aka Dr Love

Oh and Katie, you'll probably meet Em, she's off to Newnham. You did STEP I yeah, going to the course starting 24th for people without A2 FM? I'll be in Cam by the 26th

I wanna wear a gown lol, I'd look soooooo wretchedly cool in one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    You'll probably meet Colin then, aka Dr Love
    Do you know this 'Dr Love' then? What's he like?

(Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
    I wanna wear a gown lol, I'd look soooooo wretchedly cool in one.
    As a Mathmo, I suspect that you, like all the other Mathmos at Cambridge, will be cool even without a gown.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.