The Student Room Group

Likelihood of a MOT failure due to EPS?

Am just trying to educate myself a bit here.

There is a car I sold some months back and it recently developed a fault that shows Steering Failure on the Multi Information Display and will illuminate a light on the dash to show a failure with the Electric Power Steering.

I had it connected to an OBD scanner and the thing that is causing it to fail is this thing called Torque Position Sensor. Usually comes on when you turn the wheel after driving it for a bit.

Took a drive in it, seems the only thing that happens when the light goes on is the steering either becomes a lot lighter to turn, sometimes nothing happens and every now and then there is no power steering at all but you can steer the car as per usual just requiring more of a physical effort to turn.

Wondering if this could be grounds for MOT failure?

Car in question is a Fiat Panda.
Probably yes.

I may be wrong but I think that any warning light will be grounds for MoT failure...

If (like on my car with the engine management light) it isn't actually a problem then I guess it's fine to drive, but with yours it sounds like it actually affects your driving 'experience' so is definitely get it sorted - if not for the MoT then for safety!
Reply 2
Original post by Alfissti
There is a car I sold some months back

... so why does it matter?
Reply 3
Original post by JC.
... so why does it matter?

Sold it with a "warranty" that I don't exactly feel like honouring if I don't have to.
Reply 4
Original post by Alfissti
Sold it with a "warranty" that I don't exactly feel like honouring if I don't have to.

LOL! Good one.

Seriously... what's the real reason?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes, it will fail. Reason for rejection 3a.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending