Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    On the motorway the other day I saw a copper with a speed gun. This outraged me. They should spend the resources catching criminals and not common motorists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    On the motorway the other day I saw a copper with a speed gun. This outraged me. They should spend the resources catching criminals and not common motorists.
    Surely "common criminals and not motorists"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riffraff)
    perhaps what should be used in the interests of safety, is a ban on cow bars- the grid things on the front of some 4 by 4s. They are increase the damage done to a body enormously- and serve no real purpose.
    Don't just ban bull-bars but ban 4x4s completely (except for the odd farmer in north wales/scotland) - there are far too many luxury 4x4s ie BMW X5, mercedes M class etc., they'll never go off road (and probably couldn't), they're just a menace to everyone else - pedestrians and other road users. Me in my little hatchback vs. a 4x4 would be no contest - their car would hardly be dented whilst mine (and probably me too) would be completely destroyed.

ReputationRep:
    But some people require 4x4's to transport large equipment regularly - hay bales (not just farmers, but people who own livestock through enjoyment), tack and saddles for horse-riders (it's a lot more difficult even in estate cars) etc... Also, for people with large decent sized dogs smaller cars are just not possible (ur telling me a great dane will fit in an estate :confused: !!!). 4x4's are also vital for towing - caravans, trailers, small boats, horse-trailers, cattle-trailers etc!!! Many larger trailers/caravans can not be pulled by even the most powerful of estates/cars not because they lack the power, but because the weight is wrong.

Also, I live in a village and have to travel 30mins+ to get to school every day. When we had the heavy snow normal cars were skidding everywhere, but thankfully my mum owns a 4x4 and we were able to grip the road a lot more safely and thankfully get to school (and her to work) without skidding. Additionally, later that same day my mum was trying to leave the office up a gentle slope. The car in front of her couldn't get the traction and was skidding about everywhere. After 10mins they gave up. My mum's 4x4 had the grip to get up the gentle slow despite the appalling conditions and she was able to leave the offices. As she left she saw a long queue of cars all trying to get up the slope and each one failing. She found out later, that most of the drivers abandoned them and walked to the main road and got picked up by friends/family.

4x4 aren't just designed as off-road vehicles, although that is their main priority. They designed to help certain people with their life styles. Most bull-bars are now specifically designed NOT to cause such injuries.

Finally, a point regarding speed bumps. Although that can be seen as highly beneficial in slowing down traffic immediately they do cause other problems. In some areas (somewhere in East Midlands I think) it has been proven that people drive irratically in between the bumps and will then suddenly break. This irratic driving is more dangerous with pedestrians and the sudden breakin dangerous with other traffic. Frequently people try and avoid the ones that only cover part of the lane and as they do so, narrowly miss causing an accident with oncoming vehicles. Additionally, other streets/roads are used as alternative routes instead and people often speed along these (faster than normal due to frustration with the system) and this is more hazardous.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, point taken about towing - I'll include people who need to tow heavy things in my list of exceptions! But your average mum in london (or any other big city) doing the school run has absolutely no need for a 4x4, not even for snow because they never get an appreciable amount of snow in big cities. Even in the country we get so little snow that it doesn't justify owning a 4x4 - a day off school never hurt anyone!
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Most bull-bars are now specifically designed NOT to cause such injuries.
    Although they may have been made safer, in a collision with a pedestrian a 4x4 is still much more dangerous. A normal car is designed so it hits you below the knee and you roll onto the bonnet, whereas a 4x4 will hit you about waist high and you'll just get run over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Although they may have been made safer, in a collision with a pedestrian a 4x4 is still much more dangerous. A normal car is designed so it hits you below the knee and you roll onto the bonnet, whereas a 4x4 will hit you about waist high and you'll just get run over.
    OK so we have the option of having a broken shin bone.

OR

Being paralysed/broken ribs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

OR

Phil, who's Richard Nixon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)

OR

The moral is - if you're gonna run into the road, make sure there's a car coming, not a 4x4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    The moral is - if you're gonna run into the road, make sure there's a car coming, not a 4x4
    I dunno, people who drive 4x4 are normanlly richer. You can squeeze more money out of them for damage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I dunno, people who drive 4x4 are normanlly richer. You can squeeze more money out of them for damage.
    Only people who drive a BMW X5, Mercedes M class, Porsche Cayenne or similar. It would be a shame to go to all that trouble just to find the driver of the rav4 has no money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    Only people who drive a BMW X5, Mercedes M class, Porsche Cayenne or similar. It would be a shame to go to all that trouble just to find the driver of the rav4 has no money.
    Or you can just ask for the 4x4 as compensation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amb1)
    People should be able to drive at the legal speed limit without the risk of damaging their car. Speed humps and bumps don't allow you to do this. Along a 30mph road with speed bumps you have to drive at about 20mph to avoid damage (this is if your car is high enough to get over them without scraping the bottom of course!). And cameras are a waste of time. More efforts should be made to catch people who are driving without a licence/insurance.
    the areas i drive through with speed bumps are 20mph areas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    the areas i drive through with speed bumps are 20mph areas...
    That's fine. But how annoying is it when it's a 30 zone with speed bumps and you can't drive at 30mph?! They should just make it a 20mph zone.

PS - I do actually think that people (including myself) are very very impatient and maybe we should just get over it and slow down. *but I still get annoyed for some reason

ReputationRep:
    Its your own fault if you are caught speeding! Dont try and shift the blame! Dont speed=dont pay fine.

Speed bumps are a pain in the ass though.

ReputationRep:
    i think that there are too many flash cars that can do 0 - 60 in x seconds and there is not much point as you are not likely to reach say 100. these cars are only good on the motor way i say and if you are just driving around in the city then a small standard car would be mroe better.
    i think that speed bumps actually stop people rather the camersa as people can get distracted by attempting to spot and avod getting caught on the cameras where as the cameras wont have affect until you get a ticket like if you run someone over then it wont make any difference as they will have got killed anyway buta speed hump will actually stop you speeding

have you read about those B*strd wardens who issue parking tickets man they are cruel has anyone heard of their money making techniques. one i heard was telling drivers that it was ok to park then issuing a tiucket as they lied to them what C**TS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)

have you read about those B*strd wardens who issue parking tickets man they are cruel has anyone heard of their money making techniques. one i heard was telling drivers that it was ok to park then issuing a tiucket as they lied to them what C**TS
    Its just a job man.

ReputationRep:
    what its just a job trying to trick people and fine them??? so telling some that they can park there then fining them while they buy the ticket is ok??? also they also fine some people after they have driven off. this happened to my dad as he put up a bit of an arguement!!!
    also i heard on LBC that a milkman was fined about 20 times in a month as he parked on the road for a few seconds to deliver the milk is is not right!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    what its just a job trying to trick people and fine them??? so telling some that they can park there then fining them while they buy the ticket is ok??? also they also fine some people after they have driven off. this happened to my dad as he put up a bit of an arguement!!!
    also i heard on LBC that a milkman was fined about 20 times in a month as he parked on the road for a few seconds to deliver the milk is is not right!!!
    You shouldnt be so worried about parking tickets, have fun, go get drunk! Go shopping! Dont park there, learn form other peoples mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    dont even know why i started the thread im 15 and dont even drive but just wondering what people though of it!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vmong)
    dont even know why i started the thread im 15 and dont even drive but just wondering what people though of it!!!
    see! Too young to be worried about that stuff!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.