AQA Music A level Unit 4 18/06/14 Watch

SophieLisa96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey, i cant find any threads on this ... anyone taking this exam next wednesday? If so how do you feel about it? personally, i'm dreading it!!
cupcakemadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi i'm doing it! Which set piece are you doing and which genre? I'm doing the Shostakovich and Romantic Chamber Music.
KomalC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
hey, im doing Shostakovich and Chamber music too. Any predictions as to what might come up?
cupcakemadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi well, for shostakovich i'm hoping it'll be something to do with use of themes and motifs throughout, or harmony and tonality or melody in the 1st movement. Got no idea for chamber music, last years' questions were pretty broad! What do you think?
KomalC
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've thought of melody in the 1st movement, or throughout the symphony! Same for harmony and tonality. Chamber maybe structure and form, or it could be a really open question im guessing!
Vanessa Puccini
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would so love one of the Shostakovich questions to be on the first movement!

I'm dreading the listening because I find it really hard to identify modulations especially when it goes to the dominant minor! also identifying chords at A2 is almost impossible, haven't got the ear to hear augmented 6ths or secondary 7ths or dominant 7ths in 3rd inversions!
cupcakemadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, definitely hoping it's the 1st movement!
Just thought that nothing to do with rhythm has ever come up on the chamber music, so it could be rhythm and melody or something.
A few years ago, one of the chamber questions was comparing two pieces with piano but we've only done one with piano so I hope it's not like that! What chamber pieces are you doing? We're doing Debussy quartet in Gminor 2nd movement, Brahms piano quintet in F minor 3rd mov, and Mendelssohn quartet in A minor 3rd movement.

Yes, I find the listening pretty hard too
Vanessa Puccini
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fingers crossed! I'm doing the Shostakovich and Jazz and Blues from the 10's-40's Oooh thats sounds really hard! But to be honest I find Jazz and Blues really difficult but interesting, especially when we study classical music influenced by jazz! I'm the only one doing music a my school :L Its a shame that more people don't study music, its a very good subject to have and an enjoyable course!
cawoody96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing jazz and shostakovich, I'm really hoping that the 1st or 2nd movement comes up, asking about melody would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
nataliegharibo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm doing Shostakovich and Jazz. I really hope a context question about the fourth or first movement comes up. I'm so nervous! I need to do well in this because I'm taking music performance at Uni!
Vanessa Puccini
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Same, I'm sure It'll be fine I'm doing performance at Uni too, what Uni are you going to?
cupcakemadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Good luck everyone!
Yeah, I've really enjoyed the music a level course too
I'm going to conservatoire so don't need a particular grade, but i'm so desperate to do well in music a level anyway! Anyone else here going to conservatoire?
cawoody96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm going to York to do music

Posted from TSR Mobile
cupcakemadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did everyone find it? I think we're allowed to discuss it on here straight after for the aqa exams, right?
Vanessa Puccini
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm going to Leeds to study Music The paper was ok, loved it when YMCA came on! :P
cupcakemadness
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I really liked the essay questions and yeah I thought the ymca on the paper was hilarious!
DougMcDoug
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I seemed to struggle quite a lot more than normal on the listening questions, but the essay questions where great (at least for the Shostakovich and Jazz)
nataliegharibo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah YMCA was hilarious, I found it so hard not to dance xD
I thought the Shostakovich and Jazz questions were pretty good. I'm just hoping I did well enough to get into Uni! I put Brunel down as my firm and Westminster as my insurance
cawoody96
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How did everyone do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (50)
9.52%
I used to but I don't now (14)
2.67%
No, but I want to start (189)
36%
No, I am unable to (122)
23.24%
No, I chose not to (150)
28.57%