Turn on thread page Beta

LEA loan information (for current students) watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone received the loan form already? Or is it avalible online?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)

Thanks!
    I don't think you can apply on line yet but if you go on the DfES website and click on 'How do i apply' in the Student section, you'll be able to find the phone number for your local education authority. My forms came a couple of days after ringing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    I don't think you can apply on line yet but if you go on the DfES website and click on 'How do i apply' in the Student section, you'll be able to find the phone number for your local education authority. My forms came a couple of days after ringing.
    hey, i started filling in the form today.....and i'm stuck on one of the questions as its slightly ambiguous.
    on the last bit...'support request form', where it asks the amount of loan you would like........is it for the year or per term???
    and r u applying for maximum?? i'm only thinking i want about £500 per term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    hey, i started filling in the form today.....and i'm stuck on one of the questions as its slightly ambiguous.
    on the last bit...'support request form', where it asks the amount of loan you would like........is it for the year or per term???
    It's for the year.

ReputationRep:
    I read recently that the SLC website is in such dire straits that they are worried that students won't get their loans in time for September!

ReputationRep:
    Cheapes money you'll ever borrow! I take the whole amount and leave anything I don't use to earn interest in a savings account.

ReputationRep:
    It's for the year. House Badger's right though- you may as well borrow the full amount. All my friends at uni did and they're just putting any money they don't spend (which isn't much tbh!) into their ISA's to earn the interest on it.

ReputationRep:
    I got mine a couple of weeks ago there different this year - PN1s rather than the HE1, though I think some LEAs used PN1s last year. I though i might try applying on line this year, thogh I have to wait for a password to be posted or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    It's for the year. House Badger's right though- you may as well borrow the full amount. All my friends at uni did and they're just putting any money they don't spend (which isn't much tbh!) into their ISA's to earn the interest on it.
    how much is the full amount roughly?? i don't want to be too in debt tho, cos if i know i have more money i'll spend it......

ReputationRep:
    how much is the full amount roughly?? i don't want to be too in debt tho, cos if i know i have more money i'll spend it......
    I think the amount is £3000 a year but you may be eligible for more if you qualify for funding (i.e. parents earn less than £20k a year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by house badger)
    Cheapes money you'll ever borrow! I take the whole amount and leave anything I don't use to earn interest in a savings account.
    That only works if you are earning more interest than the interest accumulating on the loan.

ReputationRep:
    the form we're filling in is only for the 1st year.....so i can choose to have the maximum this year, and nothing in the 2nd and 3rd year?? or at least a lot less, right?!

ReputationRep:
    the form we're filling in is only for the 1st year.....so i can choose to have the maximum this year, and nothing in the 2nd and 3rd year?? or at least a lot less, right?!
    correct!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suz19)
    I think the amount is £3000 a year but you may be eligible for more if you qualify for funding (i.e. parents earn less than £20k a year)
    not sure how on earth they work it out.. but mine was just over £4,000 for this year - & i'm not in london & don't qualify for 'funding' in terms of having all of my fees paid but apparently i do 'extra days' study, so get more money for that.. pff..makes no sense to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fairydust)

Thanks!
    I got mine this morning, I got a PN1 this year wheras last year I got a HE1 or something. It came with a huge wad of leaflets and stuff as well. I hate filling out forms

ReputationRep:
    The handbook is total crap. Question 1... it asks for your date of birth. Look at the handbook "please write down your place of birth as written on your passport or birth certificate" but there is no space for writing place of birth. What a ****-up! It's like that all the way through. I look at the notes thinking "what;s an ART number" and there is no guidance. Load of rubbish.

If you're going for income assessed you won't be able to send it off until your parents have got their P60s.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone

see my friend got hers but she will be a new student and i was told that as im a current student i have to have mine in before she does.

Also does anyone know if you have to put both parents income on it if your parents are divorced?

My LEA is rubbish you phone and they just put you on hold all the time I will get it online. thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    I got mine a few weeks ago...didn't even know we had to reapply!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.