Is there an easy way to update a program on debian

Watch
benplumley
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm running Bittorrent Sync on my Raspberry Pi, which is running a recent version of Raspbian (which is essentially Debian). Every time an update comes out for BTSync, the only way I can think of updating the program is to delete the binary, download a new one on my desktop from the Bittorrent site and send it to the Pi through my NAS drive. For some reason,
Code:
sudo apt-get update
doesn't get updates for BTSync. I lose all my indexes every time I delete the binary, and they take days to make. Is there any easier way of doing it?
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benplumley)
I'm running Bittorrent Sync on my Raspberry Pi, which is running a recent version of Raspbian (which is essentially Debian). Every time an update comes out for BTSync, the only way I can think of updating the program is to delete the binary, download a new one on my desktop from the Bittorrent site and send it to the Pi through my NAS drive. For some reason,
Code:
sudo apt-get update
doesn't get updates for BTSync. I lose all my indexes every time I delete the binary, and they take days to make. Is there any easier way of doing it?
Surely the package is apart of some repository somewhere which you can just add to your source list.
benplumley
Rep:
(Original post by AdampskiB)
Surely the package is apart of some repository somewhere which you can just add to your source list.
Words of less than one syllable please, I've probably logged in to a linux computer fewer than fifty times, and most of those were to reboot it. The binary is the ARM one on this page. Is it part of a repository? How would I tell?
benplumley
Rep:
There's a direct download here, if one of those is needed.
Old_Simon
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Check out and get upto speed on repositories. Your computer life will be much easier on linux from then on.
Old_Simon
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Here you go:

http://forum.bittorrent.com/topic/18...ttorrent-sync/
benplumley
Rep:
So installing this and uninstalling the binary I have now would mean I can update BTSync just by running sudo apt-get update?
AdampskiB
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
When you do apt-get update, the list of addresses you see coming up are repositories. The system checks those addresses for any packages that are newer than the ones on your system, by default you get the given the standard repo source list. When you install particular utilities you often have to add the associated repos to your source list, so apt-get update && upgrade impact your currently installed utilities, thus solving your problem.
Old_Simon
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by benplumley)
So installing this and uninstalling the binary I have now would mean I can update BTSync just by running sudo apt-get update?
apt-get can update from all repositories you have previously asked it too. By default in your case that is probably one repo ie Raspbian. So you can add another repo or as many as you like to your list. Normally in your gui package manager there is a tool to add an extra repo or you can add it from the command line.

The repo can be anywhere you choose which has what you want. (approved safe repos obviously recommended). Alternatively - but this is fiddly - you can update from a named repo manually each time you do it. Incidentally apt-get can run in a shell if you install it, so you get some tools but can still use the command line.

PS: The update command is not the correct one in isolation as explained above. You need update && upgrade
benplumley
Rep:
Okay, thanks. I found a python script that copies the newest binary onto the Pi but using repos definitely looks like the less hacky method. Hopefully it will also solve the issue of having to reindex each folder when an update is available, because indexing takes days on the Pi :rolleyes:
Old_Simon
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Incidentally bt synch is also on github I think.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (74)
21.96%
Note taking apps (6)
1.78%
Flashcards (72)
21.36%
Revision guides (18)
5.34%
Past papers (155)
45.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (12)
3.56%

Watched Threads