Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    At uni? I really like it alot but im worried ill just be rubbish at it because i only like pure maths and i come across as being a bit erm....scatty(??lol) and not particularly academic and if its just going to be one big horrible experience then ill do chemistry instead lol. but i do REALLY like maths and even though i like all my subjects i thought that it was the one that i would miss the most and its the only one that i like to do during the holidays!

ReputationRep:
    If you like maths then go for it. Depending on what uni you choose, you might be able to just do pure modules.

ReputationRep:
    The scattier the better .

ReputationRep:
    I thought all mathematitions were scatty, isn't it like a requirement or something!

ReputationRep:
    I'm scatty. I'll tell you how I get on. I bet somewhere near the bootom of my year, not due to scattiness though, I just think Durham maybe a bit too difficult for me.

ReputationRep:
    To answer the OP's question, well, maths at Uni is very different to A-level.

Most importantly, pure maths takes on an entirely different meaning. What was called 'pure maths' at college is now 'methods.' So, although you can find degrees in just pure maths at some unis, I'd advise against signing up for one as it won't be what you'd imagine.

The websites of the Unis you're considering should have maths syllabuses up so check them out and you'll see what I mean.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2006

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.