Turn on thread page Beta

What do your parents think of GCSEs/ALevels... watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents are going on about how exams are getting easier, and how an A grade means nothing compared to what it did 30 years ago... When I talk to some adults they seem to think that everyone who puts in a bit of work gets 3 or 4 As at A level. What do your parents think of the exams and the grades awarded??

ReputationRep:
    My parents know I worked like a Trojan and that they are NOT easy at all. My parents have friends who live in France and they despair about the bacs and, having just had one child go through them, dread the fact that the other 3 have them coming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    My parents are going on about how exams are getting easier, and how an A grade means nothing compared to what it did 30 years ago... When I talk to some adults they seem to think that everyone who puts in a bit of work gets 3 or 4 As at A level. What do your parents think of the exams and the grades awarded??
    i think thats really unfair, your parents should support you & be happy for you when you get good results. mine make me do the work, but at the same time say things like 'you can only do your best' just before exams, which is nice. saying that, i think they automatically expect me to get a's although they dont tell me that.
    they wouldnt dare mention exams getting easier, every time it comes on the news in the summer i have a little rant at the tv!

ReputationRep:
    *******s. Sorry, but what is your parents problem? We all work hard (and if we don't, we don't get good results, simple).

My parents don't really understand the education system. Well they do but they don't see the importance as much as I do, like I think my life is ruined if I got a C/B. They aren't bothered what I do and what I get. They tell me as long as I'm happy, it doesn't matter to them if I'm a roadsweeper or the PM. Which is so annoying because I have so little motivation, I want some pressure!

I think my mum thinks it is easier to get straight As than it really is. But whether I get straight As in my exams, straight Bs, or Cs and Ds my parents will be proud of me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    *******s. Sorry, but what is your parents problem? We all work hard (and if we don't, we don't get good results, simple).

My parents don't really understand the education system. Well they do but they don't see the importance as much as I do, like I think my life is ruined if I got a C/B. They aren't bothered what I do and what I get. They tell me as long as I'm happy, it doesn't matter to them if I'm a roadsweeper or the PM. Which is so annoying because I have so little motivation, I want some pressure!

I think my mum thinks it is easier to get straight As than it really is. But whether I get straight As in my exams, straight Bs, or Cs and Ds my parents will be proud of me.
    If you do your best, surely there is no need to complain??? After all that's all you can do whether its a D or an A. Plus, if you do your best you're satisfied with your results too.

ReputationRep:
    I think my parents just see the headlines about all Ox+Cam applicants getting 3 As and think that it is ridiculous that people can get 3 As. I think they are in favour of an impossible exam where only the top 2% get an A!! They also go through my practice paper books and say how easy they are, not understanding that the first questions are quite easy so that atleast everyone can get some marks... it does piss me off, there is a lot of pressure to get all As, and I think that as a result people do work hard.

ReputationRep:
    The thing I've noticed about my parents is that if I bring the word module into it, they'll instantly assume it's some small internal test to measure my progress, but if I say I've got an 'exam', then they'll think it's the be all and end all and I need all the support in the world. Rather peeves me when I say "I have all 3 economics modules this morning," and all I get is a "ok.what time is it?" But if I say "I'll probably have a mock exam in a few weeks" I get a "really? better start going to bed earlier! what have your teachers said? let's get an extra alarm clock, you don't want to be late!"

Similarly, it annoys me that they assume I'm going to do well, that's my old fault really. Many a time I've come out of an exam and said "that was awful, not a chance" and I've ended up with an A or something. But with the A2 modules, and the STEP exams, there's a real chance they won't go well, and if I'm in a state of self pityI don't want the people around me saying "oh you'll be fine, you'll be in cambridge before you know it!"

ReputationRep:
    What do your parents think of the exams and the grades awarded??
    As long as I get top grades they are happy.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I got AAAA in January with 90/90 UMS in the 3rd Unit..when i told my parents they were like..'oh well done, so where do you want to go for dinner?'. lol..i spose me doing well still gets the reward of eating out lol. Again though, as long as I try my best whatever I get my parents are always proud of me.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.