What are you reading over the summer - *Summer 2014 Reading List*

Watch this thread
Armadillo
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have finished my 2nd year exams and my summer has officially begun. I've been given a reading list for one of my psychology modules next year. I added a few books that I wanted to finish as well.

Intuition Pumps and other tools for thinking - Dennett
The problem of the soul - Flanagan
The moral landscape - Harris
Understanding Psychology as a science - Dienes
Flow - Csikszentmihalyi
Kafka on the shore - Murakami
Love in the time of cholera - Marquez

If you have a similar list I'd love to hear it. Share your summer reading here!
greeneyedgirl
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Samduthie)
I have finished my 2nd year exams and my summer has officially begun. I've been given a reading list for one of my psychology modules next year. I added a few books that I wanted to finish as well.

Intuition Pumps and other tools for thinking - Dennett
The problem of the soul - Flanagan
The moral landscape - Harris
Understanding Psychology as a science - Dienes
Flow - Csikszentmihalyi
Kafka on the shore - Murakami
Love in the time of cholera - Marquez

If you have a similar list I'd love to hear it. Share your summer reading here!
I don't have a summer reading list as such, but might look and see what books are recommended for my masters course next year and get going on some of those!
Armadillo
Rep:
(Original post by greeneyedgirl)
I don't have a summer reading list as such, but might look and see what books are recommended for my masters course next year and get going on some of those!
Hey Greeneyed girl! What subject is your masters? It would be interesting to see what you have been assigned for your reading list!
Tom_green_day
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to town on American Lit for uni next year, so:
The Sound and the Fury- WIlliam Faulkner
A Farewell to Arms- Ernest Hemmingway
The Crucible- Arthur Miller
Grapes of Wrath- The guy who did of mice and men
The Human Stain- Philip Roth
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Samduthie)
Hey Greeneyed girl! What subject is your masters? It would be interesting to see what you have been assigned for your reading list!
Theoretical and Applied Linguistics

Here is my very long reading list

lots of books
(* denotes the most introductory text)

GENERAL
Crystal, D. (2003) The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language [2nd ed]. CUP.
Pinker, S. (2000) The Language Instinct [rev. ed.]. Harper Collins.
* Radford, A., Atkinson, M., Britain, D., Clahsen, H. & Spencer, A. (1999), Linguistics: an Introduction. CUP.

PHONETICS
Clark, J. and Yallop, C. (1995) An Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology [2nd ed.]. Blackwell.
*Ladefoged, P. (2005), A Course in Phonetics [5th ed.]. Heinle.
Ladefoged, P. & Maddieson, I. (1996) The Sounds of the World's Languages. Blackwell.
Laver, J. (1994) Principles of Phonetics. CUP.
Pickett, J. M. (1998) The Acoustics of Speech Communication: Fundamentals, Speech Perception Theory, and Technology. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

PHONOLOGY
*Carr, P. (1993) Phonology. Macmillan.
Kager, R. (1999) Optimality Theory. CUP.
Kenstowicz, M. (1994) Phonology in Generative Grammar. Blackwell.
McCarthy, J. (2002) A Thematic Guide to Optimality Theory. Blackwell.

MORPHOLOGY
*Bauer, L. (1989) Introducing Linguistic Morphology. Edinburgh UP.
Matthews, P.H. (1991) Morphology [2nd ed.]. CUP.
Spencer, A. (1991) Morphological Theory. Blackwell.

SYNTAX
Adger, D. (2003) Core Syntax: a Minimalist Approach. Oxford: Blackwell.
Carnie, A. (2002) Syntax. A Generative Introduction. Oxford: Blackwell.
Haegeman, L. (1994) Introduction to Government and Binding Theory [2nd ed.]. Blackwell.
Hornstein, Norbert, Nuñes, Jairo, and Grohmann, Kleanthes K. (2005) Understanding minimalism. CUP.
*Ouhalla, J. (1999) Introducing Transformational Grammar [2nd ed.]. Arnold.
Radford, A. (2004). Minimalist Syntax. Exploring the structure of English. CUP.
Radford, A. (1997) Syntactic Theory and the Structure of English. CUP.
Roberts, I. (1997) Comparative Syntax. London: Edward Arnold.

SEMANTICS
Allan, K. (2001) Natural Language Semantics. Blackwell.
de Swart, H. (1998) Introduction to Natural Language Semantics. CSLI Publications.
Jaszczolt, K.M.(2002) Semantics and Pragmatics: Meaning in Language and Discourse. London: Longman.
Kearns, K. (2000) Semantics. Macmillan Press.
Portner, P.H. (2005) What is Meaning? Fundamentals of Formal Semantics. Oxford: Blackwell.

PRAGMATICS
Jaszczolt, K.M. (2002) Semantics and Pragmatics: Meaning in Language and Discourse. London: Longman.
Levinson, S.C. (1983) Pragmatics. CUP.
Levinson, S.C. (2000) Presumptive Meanings: The Theory of Generalised Conversational Implicature. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.

HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS
Campbell, L. (1998) Historical Linguistics: An Introduction. Edinburgh University Press.
Crowley, Terry (1998) An Introduction to Historical Linguistics [3rd ed.]. OUP.
Harris, Alice C. and Lyle Campbell. (1995) Historical syntax in cross-linguistic perspective. CUP.
Hopper, Paul J. and Elizabeth Closs Traugott. (2003) [1993]. Grammaticalization. CUP. [use 2003 ed. if possible]
Lightfoot, David. (1999) The development of language: Acquisition, change and evolution. Oxford: Blackwell.
McMahon, A. M. S. (1994) Understanding Language Change. CUP.
*Trask, R. L. (1996) Historical Linguistics. Arnold.

STRUCTURE OF ENGLISH
Blake, N. ed. (1992) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume II, 1066-1476. CUP.
Giegerich, H. (1992) English Phonology: an Introduction. CUP.
Haegeman, L. & Gueron, J. (1998) English Grammar. Blackwell.
Hogg, R. ed. (1992) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume I, from the Beginnings to 1066. CUP.
*Huddleston, R. English Grammar: an Outline. CUP.
Huddleston, R. (1984) Introduction to the Grammar of English. CUP.
Huddleston, R. & Pullum, G. (2002) The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language. CUP.
Lass, R. ed. (1999) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume III, 1476-1700. CUP.
McCawley, J. (1988) The Syntactic Phenomena of English. University of Chicago Press.
Pyles, T. & J. Algeo (1993) The Origins and Development of the English Language. Harcourt Brace.
Romaine, S. ed (1997) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume IV, 1776-1997. CUP.
Decerto
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Tess of the D'urbevilles
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Middlemarch
The Fault in our Stars
The Redeember - Jo Nesbo
77 Shadow Street
The Great Gatsby
Hamlet+Macbeth and other Shakespeare plays

In addition to this, any other books I pick up whilst spending time in Waterstones.
Armadillo
Rep:
(Original post by Decerto)
Tess of the D'urbevilles
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Middlemarch
The Fault in our Stars
The Redeember - Jo Nesbo
77 Shadow Street
The Great Gatsby
Hamlet+Macbeth and other Shakespeare plays

In addition to this, any other books I pick up whilst spending time in Waterstones.
Are you doing a lit degree by any chance?

Theoretical and Applied Linguistics

Here is my very long reading list

lots of books
(* denotes the most introductory text)

GENERAL
Crystal, D. (2003) The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language [2nd ed]. CUP.
Pinker, S. (2000) The Language Instinct [rev. ed.]. Harper Collins.
* Radford, A., Atkinson, M., Britain, D., Clahsen, H. & Spencer, A. (1999), Linguistics: an Introduction. CUP.

PHONETICS
Clark, J. and Yallop, C. (1995) An Introduction to Phonetics and Phonology [2nd ed.]. Blackwell.
*Ladefoged, P. (2005), A Course in Phonetics [5th ed.]. Heinle.
Ladefoged, P. & Maddieson, I. (1996) The Sounds of the World's Languages. Blackwell.
Laver, J. (1994) Principles of Phonetics. CUP.
Pickett, J. M. (1998) The Acoustics of Speech Communication: Fundamentals, Speech Perception Theory, and Technology. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.

PHONOLOGY
*Carr, P. (1993) Phonology. Macmillan.
Kager, R. (1999) Optimality Theory. CUP.
Kenstowicz, M. (1994) Phonology in Generative Grammar. Blackwell.
McCarthy, J. (2002) A Thematic Guide to Optimality Theory. Blackwell.

MORPHOLOGY
*Bauer, L. (1989) Introducing Linguistic Morphology. Edinburgh UP.
Matthews, P.H. (1991) Morphology [2nd ed.]. CUP.
Spencer, A. (1991) Morphological Theory. Blackwell.

SYNTAX
Adger, D. (2003) Core Syntax: a Minimalist Approach. Oxford: Blackwell.
Carnie, A. (2002) Syntax. A Generative Introduction. Oxford: Blackwell.
Haegeman, L. (1994) Introduction to Government and Binding Theory [2nd ed.]. Blackwell.
Hornstein, Norbert, Nuñes, Jairo, and Grohmann, Kleanthes K. (2005) Understanding minimalism. CUP.
*Ouhalla, J. (1999) Introducing Transformational Grammar [2nd ed.]. Arnold.
Radford, A. (2004). Minimalist Syntax. Exploring the structure of English. CUP.
Roberts, I. (1997) Comparative Syntax. London: Edward Arnold.

SEMANTICS
Allan, K. (2001) Natural Language Semantics. Blackwell.
de Swart, H. (1998) Introduction to Natural Language Semantics. CSLI Publications.
Jaszczolt, K.M.(2002) Semantics and Pragmatics: Meaning in Language and Discourse. London: Longman.
Kearns, K. (2000) Semantics. Macmillan Press.
Portner, P.H. (2005) What is Meaning? Fundamentals of Formal Semantics. Oxford: Blackwell.

PRAGMATICS
Jaszczolt, K.M. (2002) Semantics and Pragmatics: Meaning in Language and Discourse. London: Longman.
Levinson, S.C. (1983) Pragmatics. CUP.
Levinson, S.C. (2000) Presumptive Meanings: The Theory of Generalised Conversational Implicature. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.

HISTORICAL LINGUISTICS
Campbell, L. (1998) Historical Linguistics: An Introduction. Edinburgh University Press.
Crowley, Terry (1998) An Introduction to Historical Linguistics [3rd ed.]. OUP.
Harris, Alice C. and Lyle Campbell. (1995) Historical syntax in cross-linguistic perspective. CUP.
Hopper, Paul J. and Elizabeth Closs Traugott. (2003) [1993]. Grammaticalization. CUP. [use 2003 ed. if possible]
Lightfoot, David. (1999) The development of language: Acquisition, change and evolution. Oxford: Blackwell.
McMahon, A. M. S. (1994) Understanding Language Change. CUP.
*Trask, R. L. (1996) Historical Linguistics. Arnold.

STRUCTURE OF ENGLISH
Blake, N. ed. (1992) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume II, 1066-1476. CUP.
Giegerich, H. (1992) English Phonology: an Introduction. CUP.
Haegeman, L. & Gueron, J. (1998) English Grammar. Blackwell.
Hogg, R. ed. (1992) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume I, from the Beginnings to 1066. CUP.
*Huddleston, R. English Grammar: an Outline. CUP.
Huddleston, R. (1984) Introduction to the Grammar of English. CUP.
Huddleston, R. & Pullum, G. (2002) The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language. CUP.
Lass, R. ed. (1999) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume III, 1476-1700. CUP.
McCawley, J. (1988) The Syntactic Phenomena of English. University of Chicago Press.
Pyles, T. & J. Algeo (1993) The Origins and Development of the English Language. Harcourt Brace.
Romaine, S. ed (1997) The Cambridge History of the English Language: Volume IV, 1776-1997. CUP.
That's a huge list, do you think you will be able to read all that before your course? Also what about etymology? No linguist should be without a dictionary of etymology!
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Armadillo)
That's a huge list, do you think you will be able to read all that before your course? Also what about etymology? No linguist should be without a dictionary of etymology!
Ha ha no way at all! Read two of them during my undergrad degree! Going to try and get through the starred ones and possibly a few of the other ones in areas I'm less confident on! Luckily I'm very ahead in syntax so that's all good!

Ahhh but for etymology you can just use etymonline (the online etymology dictionary!)
Decerto
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Are you doing a lit degree by any chance?

I still have 2 GCSE exams to go and I want to do Medicine. I would love to publish some of my work sometime however.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Me too! I've been holiday for a few weeks though, haven't read nearly as much as I had this time last year, but then last year I was on a lot of trains and we were in hostels a lot so no telly, this year I have Charmed :love:. Finished off Life after Life and Americanah, and just read Noble Conflict and most of Women in Love, which got on my nerves after a while so I haven't finished it yet. But at the moment my list is...

-Women in Love
-One Day
-Twelve Years a Slave
-The Princess Bride
-Clockwork Orange
-Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Going to start Sons and Lovers but if it's as irritating as Women in Love I'm going to pack it in trying to get along with D.H Lawrence. And once I've finished those I'll find something else.
emy-n
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Big reading list :P

I need to read (for college):

The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
Selected Poems - W.B. Yeats
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Homecoming - Harold Pinter
A Doll's House- Henrik Ibsen

After that, I can enjoy my Y.A guilty pleasures :P
I still have yet to read The Selection, Sweet Evil, The Bone Season, Mistborn, 5th Wave etc, etc
Armadillo
Rep:
Ha ha no way at all! Read two of them during my undergrad degree! Going to try and get through the starred ones and possibly a few of the other ones in areas I'm less confident on! Luckily I'm very ahead in syntax so that's all good!

Ahhh but for etymology you can just use etymonline (the online etymology dictionary!)
Best of luck for that then! Sad to say I've only read the language instinct on your list! Thanks for the website recommendation I'm an etymology junkie!

(Original post by Decerto)
I still have 2 GCSE exams to go and I want to do Medicine. I would love to publish some of my work sometime however.
Best of luck for your exams! Where are you hoping to study medicine?

(Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
Me too! I've been holiday for a few weeks though, haven't read nearly as much as I had this time last year, but then last year I was on a lot of trains and we were in hostels a lot so no telly, this year I have Charmed :love:. Finished off Life after Life and Americanah, and just read Noble Conflict and most of Women in Love, which got on my nerves after a while so I haven't finished it yet. But at the moment my list is...

-Women in Love
-One Day
-Twelve Years a Slave
-The Princess Bride
-Clockwork Orange
-Tenant of Wildfell Hall

Going to start Sons and Lovers but if it's as irritating as Women in Love I'm going to pack it in trying to get along with D.H Lawrence. And once I've finished those I'll find something else.
It's amazing how much reading you can get on with when you don't have a tv to distract you isn't it? You'll have to tell me if the princess bridge is worth reading!

(Original post by emy-n)
Big reading list :P

I need to read (for college):

The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
Selected Poems - W.B. Yeats
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale
The Hound of the Baskervilles - Arthur Conan Doyle
The Homecoming - Harold Pinter
A Doll's House- Henrik Ibsen

After that, I can enjoy my Y.A guilty pleasures :P
I still have yet to read The Selection, Sweet Evil, The Bone Season, Mistborn, 5th Wave etc, etc
Now surely, you're studying english lit? :P
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Best of luck for that then! Sad to say I've only read the language instinct on your list! Thanks for the website recommendation I'm an etymology junkie!
Etymology is amazing so I fully understand the addiction :five:
Armadillo
Rep:
Etymology is amazing so I fully understand the addiction :five:
Little etymology tidbit for everyone! The word 'armadillo' comes from the latin 'to arm', named after it's powerful armoured shell :P
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Little etymology tidbit for everyone! The word 'armadillo' comes from the latin 'to arm', named after it's powerful armoured shell :P
Ooo very nice!
Decerto
Rep:
Report 7 years ago

Best of luck for your exams! Where are you hoping to study medicine?

Thank you!

Nottingham, Manchester, Newcastle or a London University.
aspirinpharmacist
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's amazing how much reading you can get on with when you don't have a tv to distract you isn't it? You'll have to tell me if the princess bridge is worth reading!
It really is! Shall do I'll be haunting this thread looking for new stuff to read.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I am planning on rereading all of the game of thrones books this summer.

Also planning on rereading the Firesong series. (Think that's what they're called, i rememeber reading them when i was like 10 and loving them)

Oh and there's a new Peter James book out. He's awesome but it's only on hardback atm. Will look for a kindle version.
greeneyedgirl
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
While searching for holiday reads found this http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Etymolog...bs_341689031_9 and thought you might enjoy!

(Original post by Motorbiker)
I am planning on rereading all of the game of thrones books this summer.

Also planning on rereading the Firesong series. (Think that's what they're called, i rememeber reading them when i was like 10 and loving them)

Oh and there's a new Peter James book out. He's awesome but it's only on hardback atm. Will look for a kindle version.
D'you mean the wind on fire trilogy?
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
D'you mean the wind on fire trilogy?
YES!

Still have the physical versions at my parents house in DEvon but cba to go get them. Will see if there's a kindle version available...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (233)
42.13%
The paper was reasonable (234)
42.31%
Not feeling great about that exam... (51)
9.22%
It was TERRIBLE (35)
6.33%

Watched Threads