The Student Room Group

First dates - The good, the bad and the ugly

One of the best starts to a date was when I texted a girl to say I would be a few minutes late. She texted back asking me what I wanted to drink and had a pint ready for me when I arrived. We got on famously, went out for dinner afterwards and still keep in contact!

Before I met my current girlfriend I went on a date with a friend of a friend. We agreed to meet for coffee at a nice place in the Brighton lanes. I awkwardly greeted her with "welcome to the date" and then proposed an itinerary of how we would be spending the next hour or so. She wasn't impressed.

If anyone else has any cute/funny/embarrassing stories of dates that they went on then please share!

Scroll to see replies

One time, I went out with a girl I knew through a friend. Our first date happened to be after a dance rehearsal she had the previous night and in the morning. So she was already exhausted. She didn't want to cancel, but suggested we do something not too strenuous. So we took a walk through the park and along the river side, then stopped for ice cream. We started chatting on a bench by the river, and she rested her head on my shoulders, which I thought was kinda cute. However, few minutes later I realised she had fallen asleep! I wasn't sure whether to wake her or let her rest or what to do with the ice cream in her hand! If she hadn't told me she was tired, I would have assumed it's because I bored her to sleep!
Original post by Samduthie
One of the best starts to a date was when I texted a girl to say I would be a few minutes late. She texted back asking me what I wanted to drink and had a pint ready for me when I arrived. We got on famously, went out for dinner afterwards and still keep in contact!

Before I met my current girlfriend I went on a date with a friend of a friend. We agreed to meet for coffee at a nice place in the Brighton lanes. I awkwardly greeted her with "welcome to the date" and then proposed an itinerary of how we would be spending the next hour or so. She wasn't impressed.

If anyone else has any cute/funny/embarrassing stories of dates that they went on then please share!

I have strange! In May, I went on a date with a girl I'd met on an academic trip to Berlin.

We went on a 'Guinness date' to this Irish bar in Brighton, I'd apparently promised following an extremely drink-fuelled deadline day celebration at the Union bar.

When I arrived, the drinks flowed, and we ended up talking a lot, having a laugh, and things seemed to be going well.

Three Arsenal fans sat at the table with us, they had just won the FA Cup that day. While my date powdered her nose, the jubilant (and perhaps over-excited) Arsenal fans gave me an inspired pep talk. Everything, thus far, was going well.

Unfortunately, the rest is a bit of a blur. Next thing I know, it's 7am and we're lying next to each other on my double bed.

I look at her. She looks at me. We both look at each other, terribly embarrassed, and she left the house gingerly. I don't think anything intimate happened, and we haven't mentioned it since!

To this day, I don't know whether the date was good, bad, or ugly - probably all three.
We played Dead Rising 2 and had sex. Not at the same time. Is it possible to do both at the same time? :curious: That was with current boyfriend. We never really had a first date. I hate going on dates. They seem so pointless to me.
Reply 4
Original post by superduper9
One time, I went out with a girl I knew through a friend. Our first date happened to be after a dance rehearsal she had the previous night and in the morning. So she was already exhausted. She didn't want to cancel, but suggested we do something not too strenuous. So we took a walk through the park and along the river side, then stopped for ice cream. We started chatting on a bench by the river, and she rested her head on my shoulders, which I thought was kinda cute. However, few minutes later I realised she had fallen asleep! I wasn't sure whether to wake her or let her rest or what to do with the ice cream in her hand! If she hadn't told me she was tired, I would have assumed it's because I bored her to sleep!

I think you missed an opportunity for some free ice cream here!
Original post by Samduthie
I think you missed an opportunity for some free ice cream here!

Nicking a bit of her ice cream did cross my mind! But I didn't think it would go down very well if she had woken up to find her ice cream gone :biggrin:
My first two dates with the same guy are hilarious.

Date one: I was so nervous that I drank half a bottle of wine before he arrived, and we had some more when he got to my house. I was bladdered by the time we got the gig we were going to, and I don't even remember seeing the band, although I did corner one of the guitarists and gush about how amazing he was for about half an hour. Then we went to McDonalds and I was unceremoniously sick everywhere, so he bundled me into a taxi,paying £40 to get us home, while I stuck my head out of the window like a dog on the motorway.

Date two: We tried to make a proper go of the date this time, so we went to the cinema and then to the pub - only on the way to the pub he tripped over a bag of rubbish on the street and dislocated his shoulder. He was so embarrassed that he suggested we just go to the pub anyway...with his shoulder hanging out. So we spent that evening walking miles to the nearest A&E and waiting for him to get it shoved back in again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AwkwardLemur
he went on a second date with you after that?

are you sure you didn't give him gushy gushy wet wet that you're not writing about?

Well obviously we ****ed.

Yeah, he's a lovely guy, we're still together nearly three years later. Luckily for me I'm a top gal (usually).
and the nonexistent? :holmes:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Well obviously we ****ed.

Yeah, he's a lovely guy, we're still together nearly three years later. Luckily for me I'm a top gal (usually).

*** provides gushy gushy wet wet on first date crew ***
Original post by Arithmeticae
and the nonexistent? :holmes:

same here 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
*** provides gushy gushy wet wet on first date crew ***

Calling it "gushy gushy wet wet" makes me want to do a sick in my mouth.
Reply 12

Date two: We tried to make a proper go of the date this time, so we went to the cinema and then to the pub - only on the way to the pub he tripped over a bag of rubbish on the street and dislocated his shoulder. He was so embarrassed that he suggested we just go to the pub anyway...with his shoulder hanging out. So we spent that evening walking miles to the nearest A&E and waiting for him to get it shoved back in again.

Sounds like a keeper, Viva.

:laugh:
Original post by bookworm246love

you want uggs and an ipad bbe?

Calling it "gushy gushy wet wet" makes me want to do a sick in my mouth.

frothing
Reply 14
That awkward moment when you haven't ever been on any dates :tongue:
you want uggs and an ipad bbe?

frothing

why.....?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leftee
Sounds like a keeper, Viva.

:laugh:

Well, it's always...interesting.
First date with a guy - srsly awkward lmaooo, when I had to go he just waved and said bye, I didn't even get a hug, *sidechick status* :sad:

:rofl:

Being inconvenienced by some trash could well prove to be brilliant foreshadowing.
Original post by Dark Horse
Being inconvenienced by some trash could well prove to be brilliant foreshadowing.

As it turns out, it did.

You're very smart, did you know that?

Quick Reply

Latest