English Language Watch

JohnnyBGoode
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I just graduated from Sussex in English Language, but i'll still be around next year so who's joining this wonderful department in September??
sleepy_person!
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I'll be doing English literature in 2007, but I'm hoping to do most of my electives in English language (assuming they don't require an A at A-level for you to do it).
The English language results at my school were awful this year, I think it was: 1 A, 3 Bs, 14 Cs and 11 Ds. The department was not happy!
JohnnyBGoode
Rep:
?
You should definitely do the electives. If I remember correctly they were mostly sociolinguistics, which is without doubt the easiest section in the Linguistics arena.
Cinders
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm starting English Language and Linguistics this year
JohnnyBGoode
Rep:
?
Great well good luck Cinders! You'll enjoy it for sure.
s2fi
Report 12 years ago
I'm gonna be doing english anad cultural studies in septemeber. I'm really looking forward to it, except being the absolute dufus that I am I managed to find out just now that it's good to read some stuff ahead of time, and me living in sweden seems to make it hard to find some of the stuff...oh well, i'll just have to skim through the stuff i can get my hands on...better late than never!:p:
dogtanian
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm already in the department, because I'm cool.
rachielanglit
Report 12 years ago
I am doing english language! and Literature, Have only met one other person doing Lit aswell though. Uni didn't even mention it on the open day....does it exist? Is eng lang as scarely research heavy as it sounds?

Rachxx
JohnnyBGoode
Rep:
?
(Original post by rachielanglit)
I am doing english language! and Literature, Have only met one other person doing Lit aswell though. Uni didn't even mention it on the open day....does it exist? Is eng lang as scarely research heavy as it sounds?

Rachxx
They push you to do a lot of reading, but I never did any. I only ever read what was relevant to the assignments, and got a 1st so no worries. The main shock though I think was learning to reference the work of other people, which is something you don't really do at A-level. So basically when writing an essay you're expected to read up on relevant academic papers and include anything good they had to say in your essay (though not simply by quoting it, they don't like that).

They'll love it if you head down into the basement of the library and reference the journals down there, something which you aren't expected to do until the 3rd year really, but if you do it early they'll single you out as a great student from the start.
JohnnyBGoode
Rep:
?
(Original post by s2fi)
I'm gonna be doing english anad cultural studies in septemeber. I'm really looking forward to it, except being the absolute dufus that I am I managed to find out just now that it's good to read some stuff ahead of time, and me living in sweden seems to make it hard to find some of the stuff...oh well, i'll just have to skim through the stuff i can get my hands on...better late than never!:p:
I didn't read anything ahead of time. Don't worry!
ladyportacabin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Really? You didn't have to do that at A-level? I spent a whole day in the Women's library in London looking through massive dusty books at the end of my Access course.
JohnnyBGoode
Rep:
?
(Original post by ladyportacabin)
Really? You didn't have to do that at A-level? I spent a whole day in the Women's library in London looking through massive dusty books at the end of my Access course.
From what I've seen, graduates of access courses are far better equipped to do a degree than A-level graduates.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (78)
30%
No - I got the required grades (149)
57.31%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (33)
12.69%

Watched Threads