Difference b/w Combinations of random variables and transforms of rv's.

Watch
Sidhant Shivram
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey there (:

Can someone briefly explain to me the difference b/w combinations of random variables and transforms of random variables (as far as I know, only "combinations of rv's" is included interest Edexcel's A Level Math S4 module but I'm just curious).

Also, the topic is explained as : "distribution of linear combinations of independent normal random variables". So I was wondering, why is "linear" mentioned there? What is 'linear' about the distribution of the said combinations of independent normal rv's?

Thank you very much! (:

PS : I haven't given this much thought & I won't be able to research about it either since I'm running out of time (will be travelling soon) and I need to clarify my doubts faster. Hence, the post here, on TSR. Under normal circumstances, I'd have tried to find out for myself by researching about it online and post on TSR only if I wasn't able to get answers even then)
Farhan.Hanif93
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sidhant Shivram)
Hey there (:

Can someone briefly explain to me the difference b/w combinations of random variables and transforms of random variables (as far as I know, only "combinations of rv's" is included interest Edexcel's A Level Math S4 module but I'm just curious).
Roughly speaking, a transformation of random variables is given by some function of the random variables, such as \sin (X+Y) or 2|X|+\dfrac{1}{Y} +\sqrt{5Z} etc etc, where X,Y,Z are suitable R.V.s.

I've never heard the phrase "combination of r.v.s" but I'd say it's reasonable to assume that it is the same thing as a transformation. A linear combination, on the other hand, is a more specific type of transformation.

Also, the topic is explained as : "distribution of linear combinations of independent normal random variables". So I was wondering, why is "linear" mentioned there? What is 'linear' about the distribution of the said combinations of independent normal rv's?
"Linear" is used to describe the type of transformation that yields a "linear combination" of R.V.s, as opposed to "linearity" of it's distribution (whatever that means).

A transformation X of random variables X_1, …, X_n is called linear if X = a_1X_1 + a_2 X_2 + … + a_nX_n, where a_i are suitably chosen constants, and we say that X is a linear combination of the X_i.

It's called linear because the random variables X_1, … , X_n appear in a linear fashion (in the same way that y=mx+c represents a straight line in the x-y plane - the X_i are not transformed themselves i.e. aX_1^2 + bX_2 is not a linear transformation because X_1 has been transformed in a non-linear fashion.)
Sidhant Shivram
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
Roughly speaking, a transformation of random variables is given by some function of the random variables, such as \sin (X+Y) or 2|X|+\dfrac{1}{Y} +\sqrt{5Z} etc etc, where X,Y,Z are suitable R.V.s.

I've never heard the phrase "combination of r.v.s" but I'd say it's reasonable to assume that it is the same thing as a transformation. A linear combination, on the other hand, is a more specific type of transformation.

"Linear" is used to describe the type of transformation that yields a "linear combination" of R.V.s, as opposed to "linearity" of it's distribution (whatever that means).

A transformation X of random variables X_1, …, X_n is called linear if X = a_1X_1 + a_2 X_2 + … + a_nX_n, where a_i are suitably chosen constants, and we say that X is a linear combination of the X_i.

It's called linear because the random variables X_1, … , X_n appear in a linear fashion (in the same way that y=mx+c represents a straight line in the x-y plane - the X_i are not transformed themselves i.e. aX_1^2 + bX_2 is not a linear transformation because X_1 has been transformed in a non-linear fashion.)
Oh okay! That makes sense! Thank you so much! (:

Sent from my iPhone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (169)
44.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.02%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.14%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (81)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.45%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.77%

Watched Threads