Becoming a Judge Watch

FightNight
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Does anyone in here know the process that someone wold have to go through in order to become a judge? What exams would have to be taken and how hard is it? And does anyone know how much judges get paid compared with solicitors?
kidney thief
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Judges are usually Barristers (very occasionally solicitors, but i may be wrong about this) with several years standing- at least 10-15 i think, again may be wrong about this.

Also note, there is hierarchy of judges ranging from recorder to law lord and a judge works their way up. promotion is based on experience, performance, etc.

Perhaps Im just pessimistic, but i also think that there remains, even if it's just to a small extent, a whiff of the old boys network still prevalent. If i was being extremely cynical, I would say becoming a judge involves aspects other than legal competance- the right public school, Oxbridge, the right gentleman's club, connections in high places, etc.

R.E. salaries: they don't starve

NB. I assume you didn't mean magistrate in your question, they are a sort of quasi-judge- unpaid except for travel expenses.
Lewisy-boy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yea its mostly experienced barristers, most of the time QCs with probably far more than 10-15 yrs experience (might be wrong). They are recommended by the judicial select committee or something like that is the lord chancellor or whatever hes called still involved i dont know? anyway, sir colin campbell (vice-chancellor) of nottm is chair of that committee or something. then the govt makes them judges. its not true that you always work your way up from the lowest rank. they dont get paid as much as the top barristers so many barristers turn down the offer of being a judge when offered, although most will take it as they want something different and a judge is a very high profile position and is a mark of respect to be offered it, and they probably have enough money by then anyway!!

but still, its extremely hard ... and yea there probably is some element of that outlined in the above post i would imagine. in Singapore, in order to become a judge it is a legal requirement that one obtains a first class at undergrad level but that rule doesnt exist in england, indeed one of the law lords (cant remember which) famously only has a 2.2.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (173)
18.66%
No (561)
60.52%
Not really bothered about them (193)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise