Report Thread starter 7 years ago
so my question is
what came first the chicken or the egg?
AdamCee
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
in nature, living things evolve through changes in their DNA. In an animal like a chicken, DNA from a male sperm cell and a female ovum meet and combine to form a zygote -- the first cell of a new baby chicken. This first cell divides innumerable times to form all of the cells of the complete animal. In any animal, every cell contains exactly the same DNA, and that DNA comes from the zygote.
Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.
Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg. So, the egg must have come first.
RHyoudon'kno
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by AdamCee)
in nature, living things evolve through changes in their DNA. In an animal like a chicken, DNA from a male sperm cell and a female ovum meet and combine to form a zygote -- the first cell of a new baby chicken. This first cell divides innumerable times to form all of the cells of the complete animal. In any animal, every cell contains exactly the same DNA, and that DNA comes from the zygote.
Chickens evolved from non-chickens through small changes caused by the mixing of male and female DNA or by mutations to the DNA that produced the zygote. These changes and mutations only have an effect at the point where a new zygote is created. That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken. That one zygote cell divided to produce the first true chicken.
Prior to that first true chicken zygote, there were only non-chickens. The zygote cell is the only place where DNA mutations could produce a new animal, and the zygote cell is housed in the chicken's egg. So, the egg must have come first.
LOL. Don't think she was being serious.
MidnightDream
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The Chicken because God says so :yep:
louieee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
well seeings as 'chicken' and 'egg' are both defined by humans (e.g. is it still a dinosaur or can we call it chicken yet?) then you'd need to ask someone in charge of that sort of thing. Evolutionary speaking though, multi-cellullar orgasms would have came about by chance and then developed the means to reproduce via the use of gametes after a long period of time. So the chicken came before the egg, unless scientists decide to categorize 'chicken' as something completely irrational (although it's likely that chickens existed before we named them as "chickens".

And with the person above, they talk about mutations creating the first 'true chicken', but a true chicken doesn't exist. We can't be that precise about when one species evolves into a new one, so it's impossible to say "this isn't a chicken but the thing inside it's egg is" because "chicken" is just a name for that species, we define it.

That is, two non-chickens mated and the DNA in their new zygote contained the mutation(s) that produced the first true chicken.
AdamCee
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RHyoudon'kno)
LOL. Don't think she was being serious.
You think.

I'd love to think I am actually that good at science and understood what I just wrote
RHyoudon'kno
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You think.

I'd love to think I am actually that good at science and understood what I just wrote

You are good at science.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.84%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.05%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.29%
I'm really nervous (61)
20.82%

Watched Threads