Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've stopped being ecstatic about getting in (I've gone down to 'extremely happy'), and I'm starting to think about some of the praticalities of University life.

Other than finances (which are pretty daunting at the moment!), I wanted to know about security.

I'm likely to be bringing a notebook computer, a camera, a mobile phone, wallet, etc., etc. - plenty of expensive things that I don't particuarly want to be stolen, anyway. What I'm wondering is...what security precautions is it advisable to take? Presumably just locking your room isn't enough? Do the cupboards come with locks? Etc., etc..

I'm going to be at St. John's, and I've requested a bedsit (cheaper) room (though feel free to hijack this thread to ask about your own college and room type if you want to).

Regards,

Sammy.

ReputationRep:
    Lock your room, close your window and get insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Crime is very very low in Cambridge. That is not to say that one should not be wary, but I think that in general locking your room and having insurance will be enough. Maybe I'm not secure enough with my stuff, but then I'm used to living in central(ish) London which is rather more threatening than Cambridge, and I've only heard of one person having had stuff (a laptop and a wallet) being stolen from his room, and he has a room just off Market Square.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Varsity did a big thing o nthis last term and managed to get into loads of unlocked rooms. genreally though at Johns you will be very safe as all accomdoation is inside the college and there are porters to keep an eye on undesirables. I don't know anyone who uses locks on their cupboards except during holdiays where are room are occasioanlly used but we are still allowed to use bits of storage space

ReputationRep:
    I know that at my college there hasn't been a break-in to a student's room within student memory (about four years) -- the handful of thefts that have taken place have been due to windows and doors being left open or unlocked. So if you're careful, your possessions should be safe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ditting Suck)
    I'm going to be at St. John's, and I've requested a bedsit (cheaper) room (though feel free to hijack this thread to ask about your own college and room type if you want to).
    Cheers, don't mind if I do. So the way a bedsit was described was your own room split by a screen into a "bedroom" and a "study area"... or is it TWO rooms of two different people split by a screen? (Oh dear).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intelligentsia)
    Cheers, don't mind if I do. So the way a bedsit was described was your own room split by a screen into a "bedroom" and a "study area"... or is it TWO rooms of two different people split by a screen? (Oh dear).
    Presuming the descriptions haven't changed from when I started at John's, you've described a 'set', with one person getting a room to themselves split by a (sliding) screen. A 'bedsit' (which is what I ended up with, despite asking for a set) is a single room, without any dividing screen. At John's, most 1st year rooms are 'sets', with the Cripps building having about 3 sets for every bedsit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Intelligentsia)
    It's a room for one person split by a screen.

In terms of security at John's, I would imagine that in Cripps the main risk would be leaving your door unlocked. The staircases are open access (no codes/swipecards or anything) so it's only your door lock protecting your stuff from any opportunistic wanderers-in. However, on the other hand, as Cripps is a raised building, it would take a very very cheeky thief to swing themselves up on to the 1st floor (or higher) to try and get in through windows!

Obviously keep any valuables out of site as much as possible (I don't know if a laptop lock is worth the money?) I'm not sure I remember anything about lockable cupboards, and taking lockable valuables boxes are a mixed blessing, as thieves will often just see the box, assume it's valuable and take the whole thing, worrying about breaking into it later.

Stuff does get stolen occasionally, but it's rare provided you follow basic precautions.

ReputationRep:
    You would intuitively think thefts would be relatively higher because of all of the laxed security for tourists?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any scallies in Cambridge..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogery)
    Are there any scallies in Cambridge..
    Yes, but they don't usually live in the city centre. Cambridge is a lot safer than a lot of university towns - I wouldn't recommend walking home alone at night, but I've done it a few times without incident (apart from being followed by the nasty fake big issue man). The main problem with room security is, as svridrigailov says, opportunistic thefts. There was a guy who walked round the outside of Mem Court at Clare and just reached in through open ground floor windows to grab laptops etc. Provided you don't make schoolboy errors like that, you'd have to be quite unlucky to be burgled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yes, but they don't usually live in the city centre. Cambridge is a lot safer than a lot of university towns - I wouldn't recommend walking home alone at night, but I've done it a few times without incident (apart from being followed by the nasty fake big issue man). The main problem with room security is, as svridrigailov says, opportunistic thefts. There was a guy who walked round the outside of Mem Court at Clare and just reached in through open ground floor windows to grab laptops etc. Provided you don't make schoolboy errors like that, you'd have to be quite unlucky to be burgled.
    Crap...(Dream of living in a scally-free land is instantly shattered )
    I've lived with scallies for 13 years and don't want to see any more of them :'(. All scallies should be strangled at birth......

ReputationRep:
    sort of on topic . . . i presume that most students have student insurance, is this a fair presumption? and what companies would you recommend? i know that endsleigh is kind of the traditional student insurance company but are there any other decent ones? or ones to avoid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogery)
    Crap...(Dream of living in a scally-free land is instantly shattered )
    I've lived with scallies for 13 years and don't want to see any more of them :'(. All scallies should be strangled at birth......
    Perhaps so, but they exist in most places in the country. You may encounter them in the town centre, but they don't tend to run around the colleges or anything.

(Original post by bob_54321)
    sort of on topic . . . i presume that most students have student insurance, is this a fair presumption? and what companies would you recommend? i know that endsleigh is kind of the traditional student insurance company but are there any other decent ones? or ones to avoid?
    I'm covered in some way by my parents' home content insurance, so I don't have separate insurance of my own. Might be worth checking this out with yours before buying a separate policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob_54321)
    Almost everyone who has insurance has endsleigh. Quite a lot of people have no insurance.

MB

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.