To resit or not to resit - That is the question... Watch

Enfalas
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I'll make this short...

I got AAAA at AS in French (266), German (262), Spanish (247) and Maths (280) but I got a C in module 2 of Spanish (54/90) and a B in the same module in German (65/90). I plan to apply to St John's, Camb, for German and ab initio Russian but I was wondering whether it would be worth it to resit these two modules next Jan? Having read the St John's website, it says that they do not accept retakes, but as this would be after my application, and they would already have seen all my scores, surely this would be OK (as a way of increasing my chances of getting As overall). Especially for the Spanish module, I want to have some extra marks because the A2 modules will probably be a lot harder.

Thoughts, anyone?
CamSPSer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Retakes are okwhilst your at school I think the JOhns thing is that you couldn;t take a gap year and retake so go for it if you want to get some extra marks. the CAF form asks you for all modules taken (ie if you take a module twice you have to list it twice).
I would imagine the majority of students who apply have done a retake, in fact many schools have a policy of forcing students to retake modules unless they got certain grades and they oculd hardly ban all these students
Enfalas
Rep:
?
Thanks for that. Someone else said that it meant "not taking a second yr 13" or along those lines and I wondered whether going for this retake might stop me getting in...

*fingers crossed for interview now*

Thanks for the help. *tries to find pos rep*
popop12345
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
retakes are always
good if you work a bit for them.
JHutcher
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I retook almost every module and am at the 'bridge so i wouldn't worry about its effect on your chances.
Jan
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
1) you will be asked to indicate which modules are you intending to retake, so provided you're honest, the college will know it
2) I don't see how could 1) adversely affect your chances though
3) in languages you are very likely to improve your score significantly even if you don't bother doing any work for it
4) unless you're very confident, it's worth it irrespective of cambridge because if you don't, next July you'll be moaning here about 'being stupid and not retaking them and thus not getting the extra margin of safety'.

good luck
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Will retaking a single module after my A2s affect my application? I already have AAA but want to get my C up to a B or an A. I had a terrible oral (D this year, A last year). Plus I'm spending my year out volunteering in South America and similar things. Obviously I won't have started much of that prior to my application.

I just wondered what there take would be on that. It's only one module, not a full retake, and they'd be able to see that it was an anomaly given my grade last year on the oral.
Enfalas
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot everyone. Seems the sensible thing to do really. How do you tell the uni that you're planning to retake? Is it on the UCAS or the CAF?
Lolalara
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm facing similar dilemmas to you, Enfalas. Pretty much exactly the same actually, although with Geography instead. I had a look on the CAF, seems to be a sort of tick-box situation for whether or not you plan to retake the unit as you list the scores. I wasn't sure whether to bother retaking, but now it looks like it'd be worth it.
Jigglypuff
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Enfalas)
Thanks a lot everyone. Seems the sensible thing to do really. How do you tell the uni that you're planning to retake? Is it on the UCAS or the CAF?
Neither. I think it comes on the additional forms you get sent after sending the CAF off.

Edit: I just looked at the above post...maybe the forms have changed this year then.
Ronove
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Brotherhood)
Will retaking a single module after my A2s affect my application? I already have AAA but want to get my C up to a B or an A. I had a terrible oral (D this year, A last year). Plus I'm spending my year out volunteering in South America and similar things. Obviously I won't have started much of that prior to my application.

I just wondered what there take would be on that. It's only one module, not a full retake, and they'd be able to see that it was an anomaly given my grade last year on the oral.
I'm in a similar situation, I have 3 As in languages (which I'd hope they'd be happy enough with anyway :p:) and I missed an A in English Lit by 4 marks. Obviously they'll see this when I list all my units on the SAQ so it shouldn't be a problem and isn't really the same as your issue, but I just thought I'd say hi, as I'm retaking a single unit in January (and hopefully going to South America in my gap too ).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)