OCR GCSE Chemistry C7 A173/02 Exam - Thurs 19th June '14 - Discussion Thread

Watch
JasonBrown2K14
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How are we feeling about the C7 exam?

I've found C7 to be the toughest thing I have done at GCSE and I don't feel very prepared for this exam yet but I still have a few days to revise it.

I remember we did some 2008 or 2009 papers in class and we were all shocked when the grade boundaries were like 26/55 for an A*, but looking at the grade boundaries for the C7 June 2013 paper they are much more like the other chemistry exams - 37/60 for an A* and 32/60 for an A: http://www.wealdgs.org/user/74/161200.pdf

Any tips on revision? I have the CGP Chemistry GCSE revision guide which has C7 in it which I'll use and some past papers at my disposable. It's been working for my other exams (which I have completed 22 of!) but since I'm new here I wondered if anybody else had some good revision techniques they could share.

Good luck guys!
lucysnell
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I always stick post it notes next to my bed and look at them before I sleep every night, seems to really get everything in my head. I am not really nervous for the exam but I really want an A* so pressure's on
Scim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JasonBrown2K14)
How are we feeling about the C7 exam?

I've found C7 to be the toughest thing I have done at GCSE and I don't feel very prepared for this exam yet but I still have a few days to revise it.

I remember we did some 2008 or 2009 papers in class and we were all shocked when the grade boundaries were like 26/55 for an A*, but looking at the grade boundaries for the C7 June 2013 paper they are much more like the other chemistry exams - 37/60 for an A* and 32/60 for an A: http://www.wealdgs.org/user/74/161200.pdf

Any tips on revision? I have the CGP Chemistry GCSE revision guide which has C7 in it which I'll use and some past papers at my disposable. It's been working for my other exams (which I have completed 22 of!) but since I'm new here I wondered if anybody else had some good revision techniques they could share.

Good luck guys!
The reason why the old OCR C7 boundaries are low are because half of their paper is on ideas in context which means they were given a pre release article to research upon beforehand and the rest of the questions were on C7. We don't have this luxury and all of our third paper is on C7 which is better in some ways. Apparently the ideas in context part was hard which could explain the low grade boundaries.

I recommend you do the legacy past papers, the old legacy papers on C7 disregarding the ideas in context section as it is helpful as the specification for C7 didn't change for us so the questions are the same. Make sure to remember most of the content, it isn't hard and split things up like for remembering Alkanes use monkeys(meth-) eat(eth-) peeled(prop-) bannanas(but-). Good luck for the exam.
JasonBrown2K14
Rep:
?
Cheers. Currently sitting here revising C7 - activation energy at the moment. I have some old past papers to do and two specimens for the new spec.
katiemckkk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Link for June 2013 past paper pleaseeee.
JasonBrown2K14
Rep:
?
(Original post by katiemckkk)
Link for June 2013 past paper pleaseeee.
Can't find it. All I can find are the specimens:

Here's one: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80682-u...accredited.pdf

Here's the other: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137265-...-c7-higher.pdf

Markschemes at the bottom of the document.

Just did a June 2011 past paper to test myself (ignored Q1 since that's no longer in our spec). Thought it was quite easy. But that might be because I have been revising for like 2 days solid...
katiemckkk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't find it. All I can find are the specimens:

Here's one: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80682-u...accredited.pdf

Here's the other: http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137265-...-c7-higher.pdf

Markschemes at the bottom of the document.

Just did a June 2011 past paper to test myself (ignored Q1 since that's no longer in our spec). Thought it was quite easy. But that might be because I have been revising for like 2 days solid...
Thanks hope I feel the same haha just want these exams to be over with they've lasted forever, and everyone else has finished except from us triplers
JasonBrown2K14
Rep:
?
Thanks hope I feel the same haha just want these exams to be over with they've lasted forever, and everyone else has finished except from us triplers
Exactly. Me too!

This time tomorrow - no more chemistry in my life! (NOT taking it for A level!)

By the way you can still revise from the legacy papers which you can download from the OCR website. Just ignore question 1 which is the 'Ideas in context' question because we won't have that. The rest of the papers are still relevant to what we have learned.

Obviously A173/02 has only been sat once before us, and I can't get my hands on an electronic copy of the June 2013 paper, so if you want to see an A173/02 paper the specimens are the best thing you can get.

And I think we are possibly the last people to ever sit these type of science exams. Seems daft writing a new spec when only two year groups are going to sit it, but there's OCR for you!
katiemckkk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Exactly. Me too!

This time tomorrow - no more chemistry in my life! (NOT taking it for A level!)
would you mind sending me the link for the 2011 one because I've done the specimen one already thanks
JasonBrown2K14
Rep:
?
would you mind sending me the link for the 2011 one because I've done the specimen one already thanks
These are all of the C7 past papers and markschemes I have. You can download them from OCR but they're in ZIP files with about a zillion other papers, so for convenience's sake I've uploaded them here for you.

Ignore Q1 - no point looking at those questions.

I've done a lot of June 2011 papers now and it seems that 2011 was an 'easy year'. A lot easier than 2012 and 2013 which is I think when they decided to make them a bit harder.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (74)
15.13%
Uncertainty around my education (81)
16.56%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.2%
Isolating with family (31)
6.34%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.29%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.18%
Loneliness (47)
9.61%
Financial worries (18)
3.68%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
10.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.95%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (49)
10.02%

Watched Threads