The Student Room Group

Better to do an apprenticeships after A levels?

Hey Guys,

I am currently in my AS year and I am planning to do Computer science & Mathematics at university. However, I am not very confident that I will do well in my AS year as I think I have done badly on some modules, especially in Further Maths, so it may reduce my chances of going to a good University.

I will promise myself to do better in the A2 Grades and resit some modules so I am thinking of doing a 1 year apprenticeship in Software Development and then applying to university so when I apply, I will have full and hopefully better A level grades plus some experience in software development, rather than just average AS Grades. Would this be a better option?

Let me know what you guys think :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
It sounds interesting. I didn't know there was an apprenticeship in software development.

TBH I'm not really convinced by the English apprenticeship frameworks. They seem kind of soft (I'm used to apprenticeships that are at least three years long and have proper exams at the end). It's not a problem for you, however, if you can get good experience this way it may be worth it. I don't think it is necessary though, so long as you get good A2 predictions. You may also do better in AS than you expect.

However, if you are really interested in apprenticeships, you should also look into a Higher Level Apprenticeship offered by MI5 or MI6 (forgot which) (not joking). They obviously have an interest in very high quality work, so I think that would be really interesting. IIRC it was two years and equivalent to a Foundation degree, so you could top it up to a BSc, maybe even get sponsored through it.

Here you go, found the link:
https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/technical-apprenticeships.aspx
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
thank you so much! appreciate it :smile:
Original post by llys
It sounds interesting. I didn't know there was an apprenticeship in software development.

TBH I'm not really convinced by the English apprenticeship frameworks. They seem kind of soft (I'm used to apprenticeships that are at least three years long and have proper exams at the end). It's not a problem for you, however, if you can get good experience this way it may be worth it. I don't think it is necessary though, so long as you get good A2 predictions. You may also do better in AS than you expect.

However, if you are really interested in apprenticeships, you should also look into a Higher Level Apprenticeship offered by MI5 or MI6 (forgot which) (not joking). They obviously have an interest in very high quality work, so I think that would be really interesting. IIRC it was two years and equivalent to a Foundation degree, so you could top it up to a BSc, maybe even get sponsored through it.

Here you go, found the link:
https://www.mi5.gov.uk/careers/technical-apprenticeships.aspx

There are a number of apprenticeships in software development with providers such as QA, Just IT, Agilysis Arch, Baltic and Remit. Capgemini do a very good software development apprenticeship and do a sponsored degree programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by It was written.
There are a number of apprenticeships in software development with providers such as QA, Just IT, Agilysis Arch, Baltic and Remit. Capgemini do a very good software development apprenticeship and do a sponsored degree programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest