Question for the "free market libertarians"

Watch
Ripper-Roo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Sometimes I feel as though free market libertarians are only after freedom for the rich. Someone born into poverty is less deserving of a good life than someone born to a better off family... all because their parents (who they didn't choose) works hard (wow)!

Now don't get me wrong I believe in freedom of the individual and choice of lifestyle, but I don't agree with social hierarchy or punishing people for things beyond their control.

What exactly are free market libertarians motivated by: all individuals or just protection from the state who won't "take" (redistribute) their money?

It just seems a bit inconsistent, how can someone poor make something of their lives without a system that enables them to?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
They have a martyr complex about "hard work", they're usually lucky working-class individuals who have broken into the middle classes, they're proud of slaving away all their lives for some shareholder's gain and they bloody well think everyone else should be subjected to the same treatment.

They also buy the "American dream" meritocracy propaganda. Should we take bets on how long until Alan Sugar and Richard Branson are mentioned?

Some of them who are in upper management or an even higher class are obsessed with keeping their taxes to themselves and removing human rights/health and safety regulation. This allows them to indulge their fevered dream of total control over their workers' lives and driving down their pay.
AwkwardLemur
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
too long did not read lol
Mother Teresa
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
What's a libetarian?
George00
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Its funny I have never met a self defining 'strong individual' who is very successful. It seems to me something middle set people try to buy into to delude themselves.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (674)
41.3%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.22%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.53%

Watched Threads