The Student Room Group

AS Music Composition (Edexcel, Unit 2)

Anyone reckon the marking was a bit harsh this year?

I thought my comp and my composition paper exercises were pretty good...so did my teacher. I got a D (53/90).

Considering a re-mark...I just have a feeling that my mark is a little low considering what I submitted.

Anyone else have a similar experience this year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Edexcel is crazy about marking sometimes, especially in the arty subjects. I would definitely go for a re-mark.

(incidentally, I'm doing Music on OCR, but I'm submitting two of my Edexcel Drama modules for re-marks, and on asking around it seems that some of my friends and acquaintances have had similar problems with Edexcel Music/Drama).
Reply 2
I had problems with Edexcel RP GCSE last year.

I'm starting to think that their marking system is a bit of a shambles!
Reply 3
The marking for Music Unit 2 has always been poor at our school too. I took it last year and got an undeserved 62/90 . I didn't feel up to complaining to the board so I resat the module this year and got 90/90.

I lost almost 50 marks on unit 6 this year, and I'm not really sure where they went. Although I got an A overall I think it's really unfair for the marking to be so hit-and-miss and I'm ordering a photocopy of my script.
Reply 4
All 5 who took AS Music had pretty weird Unit 2 marks.

I think I'm going to request the paper(s) before submitting a re-mark request. Overall, I got a B...but tbh I was on track for an A, and Units 2/3 are the ones that are bringing me down.
Reply 5
i got 69/90 when my teacher said it was wonderful..............
Reply 6
i didnt have this problem with unit 2, but i did with unit one [performing].
this was what i expected the best mark in and what i consider myself best at.
my pieces were of grade 6/7 standard and bioth my teachers thought they were good.
but i got a C.
edexcel have loads of complaints about there marking. my teachers hate them!
so yeh. everyone has problems with there marking.
grrr :mad:
Reply 7
I got a C for unit 2, and admittedly composition is my worst part of music but I feel I did better than 59/90. I think I'm going to get the paper back and see where I went wrong, and then see if it's worth getting a remark.
definatly get remarks for your papers guys, the edexcel harsh marking continued on for A2 this year, you will need all the marks you can get or you might end up like my school - everyone did badly in our class and it totally messed up uni for anyone that needed a vaguley high mark to get in.
Reply 9
I dont get it, all you hear is that Edexcel are crap at marking ect.. but then why do schools choose them as their exam board?? there are like 5 other boards!!
Reply 10
mikeski
I dont get it, all you hear is that Edexcel are crap at marking ect.. but then why do schools choose them as their exam board?? there are like 5 other boards!!

Some teachers argue that Edexcel have the best syllabus, again that is subject to different opinions, but I would never teach the Edexcel syllabus when students are getting such unexpected low marks. Candidates will get C's,D's,E's etc, it's normal, but for people predicted and expecting A's, with university places at stake, and then getting E's and U's and lower marks than needed. I sometimes wonder why schools stick with Edexcel when all they do is complain about the marking. Schools know what Edexcel are like so to be honest it's their own fault for sticking with them.
Reply 11
I just happened to do Edexcel for GCSE so when I did AS the new teacher, who had previously taught AQA, chose to do Edexcel as that's what I'd done before. Can't say I thank him for that though, the anthology pieces I have to study for a whole year are just not interesting enough and don't really require a year's work imo.
Reply 12
We are getting all our AS composition remarked this year - the marks were ludicrously low. No-one got more than 50% and some were writing full orch film scores that I wouldn't be ashamed of myself. Some compo marks in A2 were also harsh and even in A2 Music Tech! There is a new Chair of Examiners who is from a very traditional Cathedral school background - don't know if that has had any influence. :confused:
Despite all our bitching about their marking, the Edexcel course is a well structured one which gives centres quite a lot of choice and statistically they produce better "value-added" results (which is what the league tables are based on) than the other boards. Of course for Music Tech. there is no alternative. All we can do is keep on their backs and hope the marking improves. :rolleyes:
Reply 13
ok.... for module 2 i got 100%... there must be a real range of examining abilities :s
Reply 14
HBB
ok.... for module 2 i got 100%... there must be a real range of examining abilities :s

That's brilliant (and rare) :adore:
Which genre did you do?
Reply 15
Variations, and got full marks in module 4 too

(am going to the northern to do composition, so it's kind of my forté, if any of you need any help!? :smile: )
Reply 16
Well all of my marks were a bit dodgy.
My best mark was the performance, which i (and also my teacher) consider to be my weakest point :eek:
He has already requested my unit 2 paper, cos well harmony is my stringest point, we're not quite sure what happened there.
and then unit 3!! well dont even go there!!! i shound NOT have got what i did have!
Im just gonna have to resit it, (apart from performing :rolleyes: )
Reply 17
hedwig
Well all of my marks were a bit dodgy.
My best mark was the performance, which i (and also my teacher) consider to be my weakest point :eek:
He has already requested my unit 2 paper, cos well harmony is my stringest point, we're not quite sure what happened there.
and then unit 3!! well dont even go there!!! i shound NOT have got what i did have!
Im just gonna have to resit it, (apart from performing :rolleyes: )

What areas of study did you do? I could post some notes that might help your resit. :redface:
Reply 18
Fletch
What areas of study did you do? I could post some notes that might help your resit. :redface:

Hey, i did large ensembles and small ensembles :rolleyes: Would have liked to have tried a more exciting one though, but they arent to bad now... after all i go around singing them after i listen to them! :eek:
Reply 19
Edexcel are crazy at marking... but I have it on good authority that OCR are (or were) just as bad. I suppose it is becuase music is not a precise tick the box style marking subject. Everyone at my college was undermarked for Unit 1, including one girl (gr8 Distinction) given 12/25 for one piece. Turns out she had her marks scaled down due to her submission being "too short" - the examiner had not listened to the whole of the mini disc he was sent!

I think Edexcel do have the best sylabus even if their marking can be a little crazy!

Latest

Trending

Trending