Recommended Books for A Level English Literature Watch

WanderLost225
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey guys! I'm thinking about taking English Literature for A Level (currently Year 10), and want to get a flavour of what it's like, what kind of books you study etc before I make my final decisions.

I'd really love to have a read of some of the A Level texts over the summer, but I can't find out what they are? My school website doesn't say anything... so any basic A Level standard texts would be really helpful- and general recommendations would be great as well.

Thanks
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nomes24)
Hey guys! I'm thinking about taking English Literature for A Level (currently Year 10), and want to get a flavour of what it's like, what kind of books you study etc before I make my final decisions.

I'd really love to have a read of some of the A Level texts over the summer, but I can't find out what they are? My school website doesn't say anything... so any basic A Level standard texts would be really helpful- and general recommendations would be great as well.

Thanks
I don't suppose you know which exam board you'd be studying it with? (I'm guessing not as you said the website doesn't say anything, but thought I'd ask anyway ). Texts can vary a lot depending on exam board, you see.

However, just to give you a flavour (or for anyone else reading), I've just finished the A level with AQA Specification B. At AS, for the exam, I studied:

-The Great Gatsby
-The Kite Runner
-Rime of the Ancient Mariner
-3 poems by John Keats

For the coursework it was Educating Rita and A Midsummer Night's Dream.

At A2 I studied:

-Macbeth
-Wuthering Heights
-The Bloody Chamber

I chose my own texts for the coursework

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks
It really depends on the exam board - I'll be studying AQA A in September (though AQA B seems to be a more popular option) therefore I'll be reading any remotely Victorian poems, stories or texts. If your school website has an exam timetable on it (including exam codes), then it may be worth googling the exam code for one of the English Literature exams, which will reveal which specification you're studying and therefore which texts you should look at.
Aysha97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This year (AS) I studied:

The Great Gatsby
The Road
Rime of the Ancient Mariner
3x Keats poems (Lamia, La Belle Sans Dame Merci & The Eve of St Agnes)

Coursework:
Teechers
Twelfth Night

I was on Spec B :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
WanderLost225
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
It really depends on the exam board - I'll be studying AQA A in September (though AQA B seems to be a more popular option) therefore I'll be reading any remotely Victorian poems, stories or texts. If your school website has an exam timetable on it (including exam codes), then it may be worth googling the exam code for one of the English Literature exams, which will reveal which specification you're studying and therefore which texts you should look at.
That idea is genius!! Checking exam timetable now

Edit: Ugh, realised they only gave dates of exams for GCSEs, as they were the most relevant to my year. I have however, found out that we do AQA, although I'm not sure whether A or B.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thanks
Sorry to disappoint you and everyone else, but by the time you shall be in Year 12 (September 2015), the A-level Specs will actually have changed, therefore prescribed texts will have changed on each exam board.

Your English teacher (providing they teach English Lit at A-level) will know about this. You can ask your teacher what exam board do they follow for A-level. The AQA board are releasing their draft 2015 Spec for their A-levels in English this week Thursday, so you could have a check on what will be on theirs. Most likely days after, all the other exam boards will follow suit.

Also, your school should be doing a Sixth Form/College Open Evening in Oct/November and by then you school/English Department should have decided what exam board to go with.

Generally, a lot "classic literature" are normally studied at A-level. Such as Pride and Prejudice, The Great Gatsby, Frankenstein, Wuthering Heights, etc.

A-level Literature is quite open in texts. For instance, I know both Pride and Prejudice, Wuthering Heights and Frankenstein are on the new GCSE 2015 English Lit specs, so it can vary quite a lot.

Texts generally you can go for are as mentioned above but others like Birdsong, Atonement, Enduring Love, Oranges Are Not the Only Fruit, A Handful of Dust, Judas Kiss, Death of a Salesman, A Woman of No Importance, A Streetcar Named Desire. These are just some of the drama texts and novels that are on some of the A-level specs.

You could always just check other exam boards like AQA, Edexcel, WJEC and OCR and see what they have on their A-level Lit reading List. AQA English Lit A and B is really good because they have huge lists of texts they considered to be A-level standard.
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
It's because it's considered "harder" than AQA A because of the focus it goes into, narrative aspects and etc... I did AQA A, did WW1 though!
bad_moose
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We looked at the following;

- The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald)
- The Catcher in the Rye (J. D. Salinger)
- The Whitsun Weddings (Philip Larkin)
- Welsh Retrospective (Dannie Abse)
- Broken Glass (Arthur Miller)
- 1984 (George Orwell) (this one was optional, we basically had to choose any text which we could use to inspire a piece of our own writing)

I only did AS English Literature, so obviously there'll be a greater range if you do a whole A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (11)
9.24%
Disagree (6)
5.04%
Neither agree or disagree (40)
33.61%
Agree (45)
37.82%
Strongly Agree (17)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise