The Student Room Group

Maths A-level

What is the difference between A-level maths and A2-maths i know one is done in Y12 and the other in Y13 but if you just do A2 maths will you still get a full qualification from it or half because you haven't done A-level .......... asking this because not sure i want to do maths this year but maybe next year
Reply 1
I don't think you can just do A2. I think you have to start of with AS.
So for example if you decided to do Maths next year you would pick up AS maths
No
The AS is 50% of the whole A level
Just like any other subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure, but I don't think you can do A2 maths on its own, same as the poster above said. However, you could do both AS and A2 maths in one year, which would give you a lot of work, but it is doable.
Year 12 = AS maths.

Year 13 = A2 maths.

AS+A2= full alevel maths
Reply 5
Original post by deeqa
What is the difference between A-level maths and A2-maths i know one is done in Y12 and the other in Y13 but if you just do A2 maths will you still get a full qualification from it or half because you haven't done A-level .......... asking this because not sure i want to do maths this year but maybe next year

As others have said, you cannot do the second year without doing the first. You either do the AS (one year) or you do the full A level (two years; AS + A2). A2 cannot be done on it's own, as with all subjects. If you pick it up next year, this will still only be the AS; you must start from the beginning of the course.
Reply 6
Original post by Kay_n
I don't think you can just do A2. I think you have to start of with AS.
So for example if you decided to do Maths next year you would pick up AS maths

oh okay thanks alot for your help ! C: my school failed to give my year the full details about A-levels
Reply 7
Original post by deeqa
oh okay thanks alot for your help ! C: my school failed to give my year the full details about A-levels

no problem :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by deeqa

The first half of A level Maths is AS maths, you can top it up to the full A level by taking A2 Maths afterwards but you can't go straight to A2 maths.

If you want to study Maths inY13 but not Y12 you could probably do AS maths in Y13.

Quick Reply

Latest