The Student Room Group

Phase out nationality; get rid of the borders?

All of us at some time find the need or the desire to travel, whether its 3rd worlders washing up plates in Coventry, the English trying to get a bit of sun, oil workers, sportsmen and the like. Shall we just end all this territorial/nationalistic nonsense and get rid of the borders? Surely thats the direction everything is moving towards anyway?

Local cultures will still survive and people will still identify with their particular region, but that is all it should be a region rather than a territory which restricts, alienates and creates false 'blood' allegiances between peoples.
Reply 1
Like most liberal dreams, it sounds nice but it wouldnt really work in reality.

In a borderless world, in my opinion, you would basically have the entire third world enter western countries. No priviledged westerner is going to want to swap somewhere like Norway for Somalia.
Reply 2
but how would tax work eh
Original post by veriv
Like most liberal dreams, it sounds nice but it wouldnt really work in reality.

In a borderless world, in my opinion, you would basically have the entire third world enter western countries. No priviledged westerner is going to want to swap somewhere like Norway for Somalia.

No but they are going to places like Australia, India, Brazil. Theres a lot of movement between China and Africa now too - all evidence of a highly interdependent world.
Reply 4
Sure, but making it legitamatley borderless is an extreme move.
Already happening. Globalised capitalism increasingly means individual nation-states have little power to control much. Those who cling to nation-states are just delaying and obstructing the inevitable, while at the same time letting the structures of power go relatively unchallenged.
people will still find ways to fight or be tribal...

I think there will be a one world government one day, but not soon (say next 30-50 years).
No, we should have more borders. Electric borders with soldiers that shoot illegal immigrants on sight.
Original post by BS HouseScene
All of us at some time find the need or the desire to travel, whether its 3rd worlders washing up plates in Coventry, the English trying to get a bit of sun, oil workers, sportsmen and the like. Shall we just end all this territorial/nationalistic nonsense and get rid of the borders? Surely thats the direction everything is moving towards anyway?

Local cultures will still survive and people will still identify with their particular region, but that is all it should be a region rather than a territory which restricts, alienates and creates false 'blood' allegiances between peoples.

No but they are going to places like Australia, India, Brazil. Theres a lot of movement between China and Africa now too - all evidence of a highly interdependent world.

Original post by anarchism101
Already happening. Globalised capitalism increasingly means individual nation-states have little power to control much. Those who cling to nation-states are just delaying and obstructing the inevitable, while at the same time letting the structures of power go relatively unchallenged.

:rolleyes:

Population of Africa- 1.1 billion
Population of India- 1.23 billion
Population of China-1.35 billion
Population of Arab League-369 million
Population of Pakistan-179 million
Population of Japan-127 million
Population of Mexico-120 million
White Non Hispanic population of USA-197 million
White population of Australia-15 million (tricky estimate as they try to hide ethnicity in stats)
White population of Canada-24 million (again tricky to estimate as they try to hide ethnicity in stats)
Population of Europe-742 million (this includes what has to be now at least 10% non Whites so it's more like 668 million Whites)

How do you think "opening borders" is going to work out for White people buddy? How do you think it's going to work out for White countries when we are told all the time that non Whites must flood here for "a better life"

Explain to me how that isn't a genocidal policy for White people then buddy?!

What you are doing is advocating for White genocide.

You are:

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part (Genocide Convention Article 2)
(edited 9 years ago)
But then how would the World Cup work
Original post by sallyjimjam

White population of Australia-15 million (tricky estimate as they try to hide ethnicity in stats)
White population of Canada-24 million (again tricky to estimate as they try to hide ethnicity in stats)
Population of Europe-742 million (this includes what has to be now at least 10% non Whites so it's more like 668 million Whites)

How do you think "opening borders" is going to work out for White people buddy? How do you think it's going to work out for White countries when we are told all the time that non Whites must flood here for "a better life"

You are:

(c) Deliberately inflicting on the group conditions of life calculated to bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part (Genocide Convention Article 2)

Interesting that even with your deliberately incredibly narrowed and in some places made up statistics, there are still more than 900 million whites. Where is it that you think they're going to go in this supposed 'genocide'? Does the presence of non-whites just cause them to magically vanish?

For the stats, Europe's actual non-white population is less than 5%, not 10%, and I see you're using the one drop fallacy to exclude White Hispanics and the sizeable number of white people in Latin America as a whole.
Original post by sallyjimjam

You are:

Fundamentally, I dont really believe in 'White People', I believe in People. Most people would be better off under such freer conditions. The world is becoming more asian dominated anyway (hardly anyone here gives a **** about accountancy or engineering) so I foresee not only a greater number of international migrants across the world but also a significant increase in westerners seeking opportunities in the emerging BRIC nations. Our cold rainy island is not as attractive as it once was.
Reply 12
I had to waste £72 on a new passport, no borders please.
Reply 13
This would only be feasible if there was no economic system and the population was halved globally (i.e so that we'd be where we were during the middle ages, even though borders still existed then).

Have you been attending Bilderberg meetings?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending