The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yes it is! Even the Inner Party, IIRC, live in what we would regard as extremely spartan conditions. If I were to be reincarnated in Oceania (or either of the other two) I would pray that I would wake up a prole.
Matrix or Brave New World.
Reply 22
Equilibrium was a satisfactory dystopian film. Has anyone watched it?
Reply 23
Yup, I enjoyed that film, it got me started on the dystopian novels. Currently I am reading 1984 (I've read BNW and Fahrenheit 451, and seen the Matrix), so will wait before voting.

For me its between BNW and the Matrix. BNW has more enjoyment, since the whole thing is dedicated to keeping people happy (save electrocuting the babies), yet the Matrix gives a mental freedom not experienced in BNW. For example, there is no brainwashing in the Matrix, except for the imposed laws of physics etc, no one is made to think in a certain way. Perhaps its a little to do with me being used to living as portrayed in the Matrix that I find it less unappealing
Reply 24
Agent Smith
BNW, by a mile. Universal happiness and contentment with one's lot - without the exploitation of the Matrix? Priceless. Althought I see your point.

Totally agree.
Ignorance is bliss. The matrix, although 1984 is clearly the best of those novels.
Reply 26
Harrison Bergeron

I have my reasons...
Reply 27
Mattmoy_2000
Ignorance is bliss. The matrix, although 1984 is clearly the best of those novels.

Ignorance is bliss? That doesn't make sense here. If you were raised in the world of BNW, you would think it was completely normal. And you would be drugged up and sexed up. Hell yeah!

And I disagree, I prefer BNW to 1984 by a long way.. Huxley's writing is fantastic while Orwell can be cumbersome.
Agent Smith
BNW, by a mile. Universal happiness and contentment with one's lot - without the exploitation of the Matrix? Priceless. Althought I see your point.

Agreed.
Although you do run the risk of ending up as one of the unhappy Alpha males.
Agent Smith
Yes it is! Even the Inner Party, IIRC, live in what we would regard as extremely spartan conditions. If I were to be reincarnated in Oceania (or either of the other two) I would pray that I would wake up a prole.

Maybe if you were right at the top of the Inner Party it would be quite a good life.
Reply 31
As BB himself, you mean? But it's fairly strongly implied that he doesn't exist. There is only the Inner and Outer Party; the very top level of the pyramid is missing. I think. And anyway, the whole point of IngSoc is that it's not corrupt. Those higher up do not gain much from their position, in the way of privileges and luxuries. "Power as an end in itself", remember? Not as the means to personal opulence.
Reply 32
Can one of the three (so far) who picked A Clockwork Orange offer a reason for the choice? I'm intrigued.
Reply 33
gaijin
Harrison Bergeron

I have my reasons...
I hadn't come across that one before. Looks interesting.
Reply 34
The Clockwork Orange, in the movie sense surely cannot be categorised as a dystopia, can it?

I watched the movie a few years back, and I don't think it ought to be classified as a dystopia, and certainly not among the likes of Nineteen Eighty-Four, and Brave New World.
Reply 35
I agree. Clockwork Orange isn't fundamentally different from now.
Reply 36
The movie doesn't do the book justice
Reply 37
No, it does not. Isn't the ending completely altered?

Perhaps it's not strictly a dystopian novel. It's not about the society in general; just one aspect of it.
Reply 38
I never understood the Clockwork Orange. I tried reading it once and gave up pretty quickly.
Reply 39
Yep, apparently the slight optimism at the end of the book wasn't approved, so they made it as depressing as possible.

Latest

Trending

Trending