salihahmehmood
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Could somebody please explain to me these two topics:
- Standard Solutions
- Making Esters
No matter how hard I try, the information just doesn't go in.
Thank you!
Puddles the Monkey
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by salihahmehmood)
Could somebody please explain to me these two topics:
- Standard Solutions
- Making Esters
No matter how hard I try, the information just doesn't go in.
Thank you!
Heya, I'm going to put this in the chemistry forum for you as you should get more responses there.

You should also check out the forum to see if there's any other threads there which might be helpful to you! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=130
Jamie Diep
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Standard solutions are easy enough. You make a standard solution from a stock solution. The stock solution is highly concentrated compared to the standard solution, which is diluted down.

E.G. A bottle of Ribena has the concentration of 50g/dm³ and you want to drink this, but it is too concentrated for your tastes, so you take out a tenth (10%) of the Ribena and dilute it into some distilled water. You then transfer this solution into a volumetric flask and fill it up to the mark on the flask, giving you 5g/dm³ of Ribena that is more attuned to your tastes to drink.
Please go over this because I've missed steps out on making a standard solution on purpose.

Esters are made from carboxylic acids and alcohols with a strong acid acting as a catalyst.
E.G. Ethanoic acid + Ethanol -> Ethyl Ethanoate.
The strong acid is usually something like sulfuric acid.

Then you should revise on the process of making an ester, going into detail about how each step is done:
Reflux -> Distillation -> Purification -> Drying.
Again, please go over this by yourself.
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jamie Diep)
Standard solutions are easy enough. You make a standard solution from a stock solution. The stock solution is highly concentrated compared to the standard solution, which is diluted down​
Are you trying to say that solution prepared by dissolving a solid is never a standard solution?
Jamie Diep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Borek)
Are you trying to say that solution prepared by dissolving a solid is never a standard solution?
Oh it's you again, trying to criticise every one of my comments; how in the Solar System did you get that inference?
Borek
  • Study Helper
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't follow your comments specifically, but you can be sure I will comment on any answer that I see and that is wrong. Your statement

You make a standard solution from a stock solution.
is false. Standard solution is the one is precisely known concentration, regardless of how it is prepared. Actually best method is to prepare it dissolving exact amount of one of the [url=http://www.titrations.info/titration-standard-substances]standard substances[/ulr], not by diluting a stock solution. Stock solutions have in most cases concentration known only approximately, so after diluting them you have to standardize the solution.
Jamie Diep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Borek)
I don't follow your comments specifically, but you can be sure I will comment on any answer that I see and that is wrong. Your statement

is false. Standard solution is the one is precisely known concentration, regardless of how it is prepared. Actually best method is to prepare it dissolving exact amount of one of the [url=http://www.titrations.info/titration-standard-substances]standard substances[/ulr], not by diluting a stock solution. Stock solutions have in most cases concentration known only approximately, so after diluting them you have to standardize the solution.
You're supposed to be a helper but instead you only try and criticise people's comments that are trying to HELP others. I am correct in terms of this course as the specification specifically says this. Why go into that much detail if it is definitely not needed? Go take your troll elsewhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed