Why do the BBC/ITV/Sky get second rate players as pundits?

Watch
neeson.storls
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Robbie Savage does IMO say sense, but then he never played for a big club, or in top tournaments, and seldom in European football. Same/similar with Jason Roberts, Barry Horne, etc. they get sometimes.

is it just to appease lower division fans? Surely an expert must have played at the highest level to have more credence, so Gary Neville, Carragher, Ian Wright, Shearer, Hansen (pre-retirement), Lawrenson, Thompson/Nicholas/Neal on Sky Soccer Saturday, etc. qualify.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by neeson.storls)
Robbie Savage does IMO say sense, but then he never played for a big club, or in top tournaments, and seldom in European football. Same/similar with Jason Roberts, Barry Horne, etc. they get sometimes.

is it just to appease lower division fans? Surely an expert must have played at the highest level to have more credence, so Gary Neville, Carragher, Ian Wright, Shearer, Hansen (pre-retirement), Lawrenson, Thompson/Nicholas/Neal on Sky Soccer Saturday, etc. qualify.
Just look at the playing records of Bill Shankley, Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson
DorianGrayism
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Just look at the playing records of Bill Shankley, Brian Clough and Alex Ferguson
Or the most accomplished football player of them all…… Mourinho.
neeson.storls
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
I never mentioned managers, did I? What is your point?
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Their point is that you don't need to be an experienced top level player to know what you're talking about, and conversely the top players can be tactically inept (see: shearer, Roy Keane, John Barnes...)
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

is it just to appease lower division fans? Surely an expert must have played at the highest level to have more credence,
You said this that is why. Being good at football doesn't make you an intelligent footballer...
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Their point is that you don't need to be an experienced top level player to know what you're talking about, and conversely the top players can be tactically inept (see: shearer, Roy Keane, John Barnes...)
Don't forget maradona
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The likes of Rodgers and AVB weren't even footballers and their tactical knowledge puts most ex-professionals to shame.
tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Surely an expert must have played at the highest level to have more credence
Not necessarily. Lots of footballing experts never played at the highest level, perhaps because they didn't have the physical prowess etc. to do so. It doesn't mean their analysis is invalid.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cant find the quote but Johan Cruijff once said that he wouldnt listen to anyone about football, who whadnt played it to a high level himself. And he included football managers in that.

Maybe it wasnt so black and white, but he mugged off a few pundits at some stage anyway.
Bound 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Souness is the first name on this list
llys
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
TBH I think they try to pick pundits based on attitude. They don't want everyone to agree with each other - if they had three real experts who all came to the same conclusion most of the time, it would be boring. If this is your premise then you need at most one pundit who actually knows what he's talking about, and one who doesn't, so that he can be corrected and the spectators learn something (via the socratic method, see?). And then one who is either funny or a moron, to add a bit of comic relief.
manchesterunited15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sr90)
The likes of Rodgers and AVB weren't even footballers and their tactical knowledge puts most ex-professionals to shame.
Not through lack of ability though, he was forced to retire through injury
River85
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Footballers have got to do something when their playing careers end. It can be hard for them. Playing football is all they've known, they're then thrust into retirement at the young age of 35(ish), if not before.

Even second rate players are still reasonably well known among the football following public, and I'm sure channels would prefer to get people the public are already familiar with. Plus many of the top footballers end up in management or elsewhere and have no desire to enter media. Those who can do, those who can't spout cliched rubbish on TV...
mrlally
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
On the whole most are remarkably crap at being pundits, especially Alan Shearer.

But so far i have liked Viera on ITV and Rio on the BBC
Sanctimonious
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They know most footballers have a low IQ and people with low IQ's are good for television as they argue, say silly things and make fools of themselves.

Its the same reason they had Joey Barton on Question Time although he is probably at the top end of the spectrum when it comes to the IQ's of professional players.
little_tom
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
BBC commentary is usually much better than ITV. I like Guy Mowbray even though he tends to turn into a pundit whenever he feels like, but I absolutely hate Lawrenson. He needs to go. Especially after the last world cup.

cambio wechsel
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by manchesterunited15)
Not through lack of ability though, he was forced to retire through injury
I think the first point is moot. The best club team for which Rodgers ever turned out was Ballymena United. By the time of his retirement he was 20 and had never gotten onto the bench at Reading.

And there is no suggestion that he retired through injury. Rather it was owing to "a genetic knee condition", whatever that is. Something wrong with his "knee genes" possibly. Whatever it is it didn't stop him from continuing to pay for play in several years of non-league football. I think it can sensibly be concluded that he didn't make the grade and that this was subsequently spun because of the kind of credibility concerns adverted to in the OP.
limetang
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
A high level professional footballer is good at playing football, that says absolutely nothing with respect to how good they are at discussing it.
RD208
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can I just say, and I'm sure its been said plenty times already on this thread, the quality of footballer does not determine the level of one's tactical knowledge or articulation. Thiery Henry may have been a great footballer, but does not contribute well to a discussion with the same charisma as someone like Robbie Savage. That's why Robbie Savage is on TV and radio more than Henry - he is more animated, more entertaining.

I actually think that these channels would be better off getting pundits that have not necessarily played football. But the problem is that there seems to be some sort of prehistoric stigma with football fans that if the person is not well known as a 'football personality' then their comments are immediately invalid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (216)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (58)
14.04%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (139)
33.66%

Watched Threads