Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone get an offer through clearing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, sorry if this has already been asked (didnt find a thread asking this) just wondering if anyone was lucky enough to get a place for medicine through clearing this year?
    I was rejected from all four of my choices so am planning on reapplying next year (got AAAAa) but did try ringing round places on the off chance they had a spare place this year - no luck surprise surprise!:bawling:
    Let me know if your in the same position or did manage to get in through clearing!
    oh and well done all of you who met your offers and got in this year!

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage to get rejected with AAAAa?! ^o)

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage to get rejected with AAAAa?!
    Didnt have any offers, was predicted all As but then so are most people, guess my ps wasnt as good as others. Everywhere I rang said they didnt have any places free so regardless of my results still have no offer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decota)
    How did you manage to get rejected with AAAAa?! ^o)
    Unfortunatly many strong applicants get regected every year. It is unfortunate Croff good luck with your applications. Have you booked your UKcat?

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your results! I got AAABB and I'm in the same situation as you. It's really annoying thinking some of my mates got in med school with lower grades than me! I got in Sussex for the pre med year which might be worth you checking out at www.readmedicine.com The tution fees are pretty high but if you can afford it they're still accepting applications for this October. I'm oging in a few weeks and haven't found anyone on the course!!! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Most unis medical school explicitly state that they "do not participate in clearing". So really your chances in clearing are zero. How come you didn't try UCAS Extra?

ReputationRep:
    I thought the sussex pre-med thing was meant to be a bit dodgy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catherine0004)
    It's really annoying thinking some of my mates got in med school with lower grades than me!
    Its not just about the grades. Keep that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambi)
    I thought the sussex pre-med thing was meant to be a bit dodgy?
    If it is the Sussex Downs course, it's not dodgy. If it is another one, it is...

ReputationRep:
    Just checked the website - it's the dodgy one!!! Even the website at Sussex Uni (note sussex uni, not BSMS), states it's primary purpose is to get people in to the off shore school of St MAthews int he Caymans...

Testimonails such as :
    Kiran Rahim, Pre-Med student 2004/5, now at Barts and the London Queen Mary's School of Medicine and Dentistry

"I would highly recommend this Pre-Med Programme to anyone who has been unsuccessful in getting a medical school place. The course really prepares and increases your chances of securing a place. All involved are really helpful and provide all kinds of useful training and advice about different opportunities that you would have otherwise not known about. You are offered a medical place at SMU on the Cayman Islands before you start anyway, that's what appealed to me. Very highly recommended."
    scare me, as BL do not take any foundation course for access, unless the person has the A2 grades or a degree regardless...

This is the one supported by BSMS: http://www.sussexdowns.ac.uk/adults/dbpage.asp?pid=155
    (Original post by Sussex Downs Webstie)
    The Access to Medicine course has been developed by Sussex Downs College with the Brighton and Sussex Medical School. There are only a few other colleges offering this innovative course throughout the country.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, I'm going to report them [read medicine and Sussex Uni] to the Barts and The London. Just looked up Kiran Rahim on our students email look up. Not registered. There is only one Rahim in the whole med school, and they are 5th year...

ReputationRep:
    Oo fishy!

ReputationRep:
    Hope is one thing, but I hate false hope. Especially when it is so expensive.

The reason why BL do not accept access qualifications is that they are not certified in the same way as a degree is (with the exception of the Kings Lyn course - which is why so many med schools take it). They are internal awards and there is no scrutiny of the qualification.

Neither do we take tansfers from non-UK schools. You have to start again. Just because the 'readmedicine' course is administered by Sussex Uni, doesn't mean that it is a UK course. It is not.

Which is why this smells like Captain Birdseye in a bath full of fish guts!

Edit: Outta interest, I am still in contact with our old head of admissions, who would have delt with this persons application. Something like this course would have stood out. Have just emailed her to see if she remembers the applicant and whether I should go ahead and alert the med school as to their name being used to valiadate the kind of course (i.e. buying your way to med school) it usually venomously opposes...

ReputationRep:
    I feel Fluffy is going to be fighting the big guy....

ReputationRep:
    Lightbulb goes on in head... I am also in contact with a senior lecturer at BSMS. I need to contact them today or tomorrow, will ask them their stance on this course - as the other two testimonials are from people who are stated as going on to BSMS.

If they are there, I rather suspect they had the A2 grades anyway, and did the course because they could afford to, it would give them a shot at St Matthews and they wanted to do something to help them in their reapplication year...

ReputationRep:
    BL answer (relevant to 2005 entry): we would look at this course, but only in conjuntion with A2 results. i.e. as I suspected, you would need a minimum of AAB regardless of having done the course, and the course doesn't really play a part.

ReputationRep:
    nice one fluffy, i also hate false hope. and so those that try to con innocent hard working students into thinking they definitely have a place in med school should be subsequently dealt with harshly.

im with u on this, and anyone else taht supports this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Lightbulb goes on in head... I am also in contact with a senior lecturer at BSMS. I need to contact them today or tomorrow, will ask them their stance on this course - as the other two testimonials are from people who are stated as going on to BSMS.

If they are there, I rather suspect they had the A2 grades anyway, and did the course because they could afford to, it would give them a shot at St Matthews and they wanted to do something to help them in their reapplication year...
    You want me to e mail John Kay (admissions tutor) about it? Do you have a link where you got the testimonials from as I can't find it

ReputationRep:
    The person I was thinking of works with John Kay

Here's the link:
    http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Internationa...DPre-med.shtml

What our students say
    "I'd recommend this course to anyone serious about Medicine. It's very useful and the support given to us to secure a place at medical school is great! The programme opens up many opportunities, both in the UK and abroad and sets you well on your way to a successful career in medicine whatever your academic background may be!"

Kiran Rahim, Pre-Med student 2004/5, now at Barts and the London Queen Mary's School of Medicine and Dentistry

"I would highly recommend this Pre-Med Programme to anyone who has been unsuccessful in getting a medical school place. The course really prepares and increases your chances of securing a place. All involved are really helpful and provide all kinds of useful training and advice about different opportunities that you would have otherwise not known about. You are offered a medical place at SMU on the Cayman Islands before you start anyway, that's what appealed to me. Very highly recommended."

Deepa Bangaru Raju, Pre-Med student, 2004/5, now at Brighton and Sussex Medical School

"The Pre-med program at University of Sussex has proven a lifeline to many applicants previously unsuccessful in gaining a place at medical schools in the UK, and indeed around the world. A truly in-depth coverage of the biological, chemical and physical sciences, as well as the unique seminar course in the third term titled 'Health, A matter of National Concern', have helped to confirm my desire to study medicine. In addition to providing provisional acceptance to SMU, the course is increasingly being viewed positively by a UK medical schools for undergraduate applicants. Backed by excellent student support and an easy-going atmosphere, the multi-lingual, multicultural international scene on campus is remarkable, and homesickness goes right out the window from day one! In a nutshell, the University of Sussex on the south coast gets the best weather in England, has a superb nightlife, and is simply THE place to meet new people and forge life-long friendships. Oh and while you're at it, don't forget to do well in class to qualify for the next year at medical school."

Sameer Patel, Pre-Med student 2004/5, now at Brighton and Sussex Medical School

ReputationRep:
    Have just checked the student lists from the year bellow and both names are on it. So the two quotes for BSMS students appear genuine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2006

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.