Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Have seen a couple of physics freshers who've just received their results and was wondering how many are coming in October? If any of you have any questions or anything, then I'm sure either myself or one of the other many physicists on here (there are a couple who's just finished their 1st year and a lot who've just finished their 2nd year) would be willing to help!

Anyone want to introduce themself?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm Adam - just got into Corpus for physics. After a whole year of nothing from them, a huge wad of forms and booklets arrived yesterday; it's taken me a whole hour just to read through it all.

The only problem I have is that I'll have so little time to do all the recommended questions and reading - I'll just have to work like a physicist possessed the week before going up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hoofbeat)
    Anyone want to introduce themself?
    Me Starting physics at Merton this October. What college are you at Hoofbeat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aihad)
    The only problem I have is that I'll have so little time to do all the recommended questions and reading - I'll just have to work like a physicist possessed the week before going up...
    Ahhh...is it that big wadge of questions mainly on maths and a bit of mechanics? I threw away the answers to my set only last week...oh well they've probably changed since then anyways! Other people at my college did them during fresher's week (we had to hand them in beginning of 1st wk) so I wouldn't worry about them too much. If I remember, there's quite a lot of them but they don't all take too long.

What recommended reading have you been given? We weren't really advised to read anything before hand (I did as I'd come from only single maths background so i taught myself complex numbers, ODEs, matrices etc very briefly).

(Original post by hermajesty)
    Me Starting physics at Merton this October. What college are you at Hoofbeat?
    I've just finished my 2nd year at Lincoln college. Afraid I don't know any Merton physicists I'm sure they're all lovely though!

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Univ. I got a big envelope full of stuff this morning, so if I have any questions when I've read through it all then I'll ask them!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh...is it that big wadge of questions mainly on maths and a bit of mechanics? I threw away the answers to my set only last week...oh well they've probably changed since then anyways! Other people at my college did them during fresher's week (we had to hand them in beginning of 1st wk) so I wouldn't worry about them too much. If I remember, there's quite a lot of them but they don't all take too long.

What recommended reading have you been given? We weren't really advised to read anything before hand (I did as I'd come from only single maths background so i taught myself complex numbers, ODEs, matrices etc very briefly).

I've just finished my 2nd year at Lincoln college. Afraid I don't know any Merton physicists I'm sure they're all lovely though!
    I still have my maths sheet answers somewhere. But I doubt you'd need them - they're all quite straightforward. I recommend you buying a copy of Boas' "Mathematical methods for the physical sciences", as a lot of the maths you use can be found in that.

And I know a few mertonians. Some are really nice, some are prats. You'll find that's the case with any group of people, to be honest.

Oh, and I'm Phil, just finished my second year also. Yeah! Go team physics! Woo!

ReputationRep:
    Lmao, I love drunken messages from Andy!

Regarding Boas, I agree that it's not the bestest maths book ever - I've hardly used it since my first year. However, coming from a single maths background I did find it a godsend in the first year, so I do thoroughly recommend it for the first year. I did buy my copy, but most of the others at my college just used the copy from the college library. I suppose it depends how many of you are at your college - there's only 4 of us, and we had quite a few copies in the library, so there were plenty to go around.

ReputationRep:
    I'll go ahead and introduce myself

my name's alex, i'm gonna do physics at exeter. i think at the moment i have far too many questions to ask. i'm still waiting for that freshers pack because i live in greece and the post is a piece of crap, so it could be a while. I'm sure though that once it comes i'll have plenty of questions and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    If any of you guys do have Physics questions, then you may find they're not answered in the fresher's pack you get - my fresher's pack did not include any material from the department! All I got in my fresher's pack was information relevant to my college. The Physics information was handed out during freshers week at the induction afternoon (Fri afternoon).

ReputationRep:
    Do all the physicists in the year attend each lecture, or are we split into groups to attend them? I'm just wondering because I don't know how many physicists are in each year or how big the theatres are!

Does everyone go to lectures? Ha! Certainly not. You'll find in the first lecture or so of every core course, the theatre's packed out. This is because everyone wants to know two things: 1) Is the lecturer any good? 2) Does he publish his notes on the web?

Do not underestimate the importance of the latter! If a lecturer is good and publishes his notes, he will get lots of people attending. If a lecturer is good and does not publish his notes, he will get most people attending. If a lecturer is crap and does not publish his notes, he will get some people attending. If a lecturer is crap and does publish his notes, he will get very few people attending!

We have two main lectures theatres, the Martin Wood (230 people) and the Lindemann (160 people). All first year lectures are in the Martin Wood, and each year is about 170 strong, and loses 1 or 2 people after the first year.

You might be split up for induction lectures, in 0th week, I can't remember, but this is only for administrative purposes.

Tips about lectures:

1) Do go to them - they are useful. Even if you think it's washing over you, you'll be amazed how often when you're doing a problem, something a lecturer has said will pop into your head to help you out.

2) Most first year lecturers, I seem to remember, provide you with comprehensive notes anyway, some of which are printed and some of which you will just copy off the board.

Some lectures, however, need you to get good at making notes. This is a hard skill to develop. It requires realising at the time of the lecture what bits of it you will not have a clue about later, even though they might make sense at the time. If nothing is making sense, then just make a few notes (of the "what the hell is ___?" form!), and looking in a book/asking a tutor later.

3) Don't frantically scribble down things that don't make sense when you haven't got time to think because you're too busy writing!

4) Try not to be too hungover, even though it will be your 1st week at uni! All the artists will not give a damn because they never have to be up until lunchtime, but the first time you've been very drunk until 3 and then been up for a "9am", as they are known, (which makes you hardcore, by the way, and tells you you're doing a real subject), you'll learn to start caning in the water for a couple of hours at the end of the night before! Either that or just feel ill. Or don't go to the lecture (this is not hardcore though - you will get no physics respect)

Yeah, I'm talking crap. Good night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Yeah, I'm talking crap. Good night!
    Not true, your words are wise. I've had enough late nights drinking to learn that water is my best friend.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding first year lectures, most of the lecturers are actually pretty reasonable (if you're having same ones as we had) but there are some that don't give out notes and require you to write a lot down very fast! Like Andy said, if you don't get something you've written down then it's a good idea to mark this - I usually write "wtf?" in pencil! lol. I went to most of my lectures in first year. The only ones I didn't were EM (my tutor was teaching us different topics at different times and I found his way a lot easier...most ppl went to EM tho) and Vectores/Matrics (the guy is a legend and you must attend first few just so you can experience him, but after that you realise you could learn more just lookin at Boas!

Regarding induction lecture, this isn't actually split into groups depending on colleges, but after the lecture the tours around the department are split by college - they explain it all in lecture.

Btw, Andy, this year we get to have half of our lectures in MW rather than the Lindemann! Yay Much more comfortable in there, even if it does make it easier to fall asleep!

ReputationRep:
    He y u guys. Im anna and i just got into Mansfield for physics -obviously. still havent received any freshers pack - and yeah mail is **** here- in cyprus as well.. so hopefully it will arrive.
    its probably premature but im wondering when does practical work begin?
    so yeah..

you start pracs right away! with almost no introduction! it's brilliant. first prac we had, we went into a small room with crazy Dr Hodby, who showed us a 5000V supply and some equipment, then said "be careful", and that was it. we had to work out what to do from the infamously incomprehensible scripts that accompany our practicals. it really is an experience.

And Chloe, word on the 'vine is that Dieter no longer lectures Vectors and Matrices! Last year's first year put in sufficient complaint to have him removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    you start pracs right away! with almost no introduction! it's brilliant. first prac we had, we went into a small room with crazy Dr Hodby, who showed us a 5000V supply and some equipment, then said "be careful", and that was it. we had to work out what to do from the infamously incomprehensible scripts that accompany our practicals. it really is an experience.
    Yeah depending on your college you'll either have them on the Thurs or Friday of 1st week. I had general labs first, which are awful as they have lots of bloody error analysis!!! We had this one to do with momentum change and had 2 discs spining in opposite directions and then dropped them on them and measured change in speed. Like Andy said...it's an experience!

Andy, do you know if we have labs the same weeks as we did last year (I know we have them Mon/Tues again)? Just wondering if you've been told anything as I want to book some driving lessons in Oxford for the weeks that I don't have labs!

And Chloe, word on the 'vine is that Dieter no longer lectures Vectors and Matrices! Last year's first year put in sufficient complaint to have him removed.
    Really? Oh you guys are going to be soooo lucky then! I learnt NOTHING from his lectures and just taught myself vectors/matrices from Boas during the xmas vac!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    Surely you mean "if? My experience of the Greek postal service is this. I sent four postcards from Greece back home last year. One of them arrived a month late. The other three have disappeared into oblivion...
    don't even get me started trying to get stuff out of greece!!!! i did get a very short congradulatory letter from exeter this morning (posted 17th of august, only 4 days late).

but yeah, fingers crossed for my freshers pack. here's to hoping it will get here in one piece!

I had general labs first, which are awful as they have lots of bloody error analysis!!!
    Shush, you! Labs are awesome and you know it.,

Andy, do you know if we have labs the same weeks as we did last year (I know we have them Mon/Tues again)? Just wondering if you've been told anything as I want to book some driving lessons in Oxford for the weeks that I don't have labs!
    I believe that they are Mon/Tues, yes. And learning to drive in Oxford?! That's brilliant - it must be the easiest place in the world. OK, you have to deal with loads of cyclists and the stupid one-way system, but there's no massive hills or crazy junctions...I don't think. Genius.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, this advice is great .

Which textbooks are worth buying for first year and what's the cheapest way to get them? I'd like to own copies of the main ones because I like underlining bits and writing thousands of notes in the margins. (Even if the notes do only say 'Huh? What?')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worzo)
    And learning to drive in Oxford?! That's brilliant - it must be the easiest place in the world. OK, you have to deal with loads of cyclists and the stupid one-way system, but there's no massive hills or crazy junctions...I don't think. Genius.
    Well I've been learning to drive at home, but can't take my test here til Xmas (despite being pretty much nearly ready), so I'm just going to have a couple of lessons to keep me ticking over.

And whatever you say - Labs suck!!!! :p:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.