The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
hey Chloe and everyone else who'se real names i've yet to learn.
my name's Hume, i'll be going to wadham.

i haven't done dim. analysis in years haha.
oh well never to late to pick up on it again.
Reply 141
Mr. Howe
hey Chloe and everyone else who'se real names i've yet to learn.
my name's Hume, i'll be going to wadham.

i haven't done dim. analysis in years haha.
oh well never to late to pick up on it again.

Oooo there's some Wadhamites on here I believe! I know Lucy (2nd year) who's screenname is ventricles on here goes to Wadham, and I think another wadham fresher introduced themselves earlier on in this thread, but I may be mistaken!
Reply 142
does anyone know if we're allowed minifridges in residence?
Mr. Howe
does anyone know if we're allowed minifridges in residence?

I'm starting at Wadham this year too! My name is Rachael. Hello.

There's loads of rules about electrical stuff in the wadham handbook (I ws bored, OK :redface: ), you need to request permission individually for each appliance, and for things more than 2 years old they are supposed to be tested for safety and certified by an electrician. Also there is quite a list of things that are completely banned, like sandwich toasters :frown: . I think I read somewhere that you can hire fridges though. On a similar note, does anyone know if Wadham has any shared kitchen type areas with microwave etc?
Reply 144
hey rachael,
wow i didn't know ppl actually read those things :tongue:.
k, i don't know for sure but when i took the tour it looked like the older buildings (the one with shared rooms) don't have any cooking facilities. (i don't think conventional ovens weren't invented the time it was built haha)
the newer buildings with the single rooms have little kitchenetts (can't spell).
do you know if you're in a single or shared room yet?
Mr. Howe
hey rachael,
k, i don't know for sure but when i took the tour it looked like the older buildings (the one with shared rooms) don't have any cooking facilities. (i don't think conventional ovens weren't invented the time it was built haha)
the newer buildings with the single rooms have little kitchenetts (can't spell).

I've got no idea, but probably shared as I put on the form that I didn't mind. Looks like I might have to buy myself a microwave.
Reply 146
Mr. Howe
hey rachael,

Hey guys

Sorry none of us can really help on the Wadham specific questions - hopefully Lucy will be around again soon and she can help you. I think there are probably other Wadham freshers on TSR so you might find it useful to search for a "Wadham Freshers" thread and if there isn't one then start your own up. Any more Physics questions though and we can hopefully help though :smile:
Reply 147
sweet, yeah i wanted a big single room so on my form i put all sorts of crap like i often snore and most of the time i don't sleep and make lots of noise instead or something along those lines.
anyway point of the story is i got my single room :smile:
Reply 148
ok, i've got a physics question... well a building question.
it looks from the timetable that all of our lectures are in martin wood.
how close is that to wadham?

p.s. even i it's close say it's far so i can convince my parents to get me a bike.
Mr. Howe
ok, i've got a physics question... well a building question.
it looks from the timetable that all of our lectures are in martin wood.
how close is that to wadham?

p.s. even i it's close say it's far so i can convince my parents to get me a bike.

I do believe it is just down the road, opposite Keble. I have a bike but I'm not taking it first term as I don't think I'll need it (and it won't fit in the car).
Reply 150
Physics is about a 5min walk from Wadham. But a bike makes everything so much easier in Oxford.
Worzo
Physics is about a 5min walk from Wadham. But a bike makes everything so much easier in Oxford.

Maybe if I tell my mum that she'll let me take it :biggrin:.
Ok, I have started a wadham freshers thread :smile: .
Reply 153
Worzo

You're obsessed with bikes and you and Fonz are quite dangerous on them, having almost knocked me off when overtaking me on both sides at the traffic lights on south parks road :p: I'm bringing my bike although will now walk to lectures as by the time I've unlocked my bike, cycled across the road and locked it again I could have walked there (huge advantage of living next to Keble this year!).
Reply 154
Hoofbeat
You're obsessed with bikes and you and Fonz are quite dangerous on them, having almost knocked me off when overtaking me on both sides at the traffic lights on south parks road :p: I'm bringing my bike although will now walk to lectures as by the time I've unlocked my bike, cycled across the road and locked it again I could have walked there (huge advantage of living next to Keble this year!).

Hahaha. Sorry, but if it was clear, you should have been moving! It's all about the extreme cycling! What would Oxford days be like without those little kicks of adrenaline in the morning? Breaking the 20mph speed limit on Parks Road, undertaking the cars, dodging the unpredictable traffic at the KA crossroads, barreling out of Blue Boar St, slipstreaming buses up St Aldates, running the red lights outside the police station....ahhh....I can't wait to get back :smile: (Oh, and who can forget caning it down Cornmarket at 9:59am - "IT'S BEFORE 10 YOU STUPID WOMAN GET OUT OF THE ROAD!") etc...BRILLIANT

You know the Fonz then do you? He's quite docile on his bike really. Well, he was all last term at least since he actually had no brakes. No, I'm serious, at 10mph he had a stopping distance of about 100m, no joke, so no wonder he flew past you at the S.Parks Road junction!

Eddie, Pete and I, however, are the most extreme cyclists I know. We've all had many accidents, a couple pretty spectacular, but never had lasting injuries. Although I would say that two of my accidents were due to riding a piece of crap last term that was like riding a bull - kept trying to throw me off, the little bastard.

Cycling in Oxford is the best!

EDIT: You better watch out at the Museum Road pelican crossing...don't trust the green man!
Yay I seem to have persuaded my parents to get a tying bike to car device, so I shall soon be sampling the joys of Oxford cycling. It's quite flat, is it not? I can deal with psychopaths in 4x4s but uphill cycling beore 9am just saps the will to live.
Reply 156
Yeah, don't worry. There are no "hills" in the centre of Oxford. Only if you live down the Abingdon Road will you have to go up any kind of incline (St Aldates) in the morning. Hills I know in Oxford of are Headington Hill (on the way to Brookes) and Rose Hill. These are harder on a bike, but not that challenging, and both are well out of the centre and you'd have to have a good reason to need to go up them.
Reply 157
Hey I'm Hannah and I start at Teddy Hall next week- do you know any physicists there?? Also I got sent a massive thing of maths work on satursday with no covering letter, am i supposed to do it all? It is very daunting..
Reply 158
HannahE87
Hey I'm Hannah and I start at Teddy Hall next week- do you know any physicists there?? Also I got sent a massive thing of maths work on satursday with no covering letter, am i supposed to do it all? It is very daunting..

As I keep saying to all you Freshers, one of the most important things about physics is that you should chill out. Generally, the more chilled you are, the better you do - this is evidenced by all the best physicists being chilled dudes :smile:

EDIT: Oh, but on the more practical side, this means that you should do as much of the vacation work as you want. Only do the questions you can't do, if you get me - there's no point writing out pages of maths you find really simple.
Reply 159
Worzo
Hahaha. Sorry, but if it was clear, you should have been moving!

Excuse me Andy but I do actually move pretty quickly (at least since I got my tyres fixed...I was bit slower a while ago when I didn't realise I'd got a puncture and needed not only a new tube but new tyres too!

You know the Fonz then do you?

I know all of you - mwhahahahahaha! I remember chattint to the two of you before we had our assessed practicals.

However, it might actually have been Pete that nearly knocked me off my bike now that I think about it clearly.

EDIT: You better watch out at the Museum Road pelican crossing...don't trust the green man!

You'd better watch out too - I'm having driving lessons while in Oxford (don't worry already had lots and been driving regularly with parents so I'm pretty good), but I may accidently hit silly cyclists that jump lights :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending