The Student Room Group

why does everyone think bodybuilders are dumbasses?

Ronnie Coleman: 1st Pass Accounting degree w/honours (highest grade in his class) at Grambling Sate University ( a well respected one in the USA). He was also the newspaper editor for his university and the quarterback for his high school football team.

Frank Zane: High School Maths teacher for 13 years, has a chemistry degree AND a masters in experimental psychology.

Nasser el Sonbaty: Masters in History, Political Science and Sociology

Zack Khan: Computing degree
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I bet they made all the clever people do their coursework
Reply 2
Original post by GodAtum
I bet they made all the clever people do their coursework

yeah, because uni is all about coursework right?
Have you seen the body building forums? They hardly come across as geniuses.

Besides, for those of us who are less well-built, it's a way of putting them down.
Reply 4
Original post by tengentoppa
Have you seen the body building forums? They hardly come across as geniuses.

Besides, for those of us who are less well-built, it's a way of putting them down.

there are quite a few doctors and pHd's that use BB.com , Alan Aragan is a pHd holder and is a mod there
Reply 5
Man their bodies make me heave. Utterly disgusting sight...
Because some people like to believe you can only be strong or smart, they don't realise you can be a combination of two.

Or they like to think that they're stupid to make themselves feel better about their own crappy bodies :P
Because smart people know you don't need that much muscle in contemporary society.

It's a waste of time.

Most girls have opined that don't like the look so you're limiting your dating options.

You could be developing your brain instead of your body.

Most if they want to get really big and ripped need to use things like steroids or growth hormones which are bad for you in many ways.

You'll sustain injuries along the way, some could impact your life in a big way.

I could go on...
Reply 8
Original post by i_eatProstitutes
Because smart people know you don't need that much muscle in contemporary society.

It's a waste of time.

Most girls have opined that don't like the look so you're limiting your dating options.

You could be developing your brain instead of your body.

Most if they want to get really big and ripped need to use things like steroids or growth hormones which are bad for you in many ways.

You'll sustain injuries along the way, some could impact your life in a big way.

I could go on...

Ever realised that some people dont give a **** about what others think and do things to make themselves happy? To assume that all people who take part in bodybuilding do it because of external motivation is downright stupid. As shown, you can develop your brain AND body, since when was the mind and body mutually exclusive? If anything, those who have developed both are much more admirable than same savant that spends weeks on end in his room studying, and ONLY exercises his mind.

"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

Socrates
They are though. Walk into a gym and ask them the 5 time tables and I'm sure many would stumble. :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by Mother Teresa
They are though. Walk into a gym and ask them the 5 time tables and I'm sure many would stumble. :lol:

take a look around TSR and you will be amazed at the amount of socially retarded people here
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doob
take a look around TSR and you will be amazed at the amount of social retarded people here

You're right but does social intelligence really matter in the grand scheme of things? And you can't deny that social intelligence can be feigned quite easily.
Original post by Doob
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training...what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable."

Socrates

"contemporary society"

"contemporary society"

"contemporary society"

"contemporary society"
Original post by i_eatProstitutes
1. Because smart people know you don't need that much muscle in contemporary society.

2. It's a waste of time.

3. Most girls have opined that don't like the look so you're limiting your dating options.

4. You could be developing your brain instead of your body.

5. Most if they want to get really big and ripped need to use things like steroids or growth hormones which are bad for you in many ways.

6. You'll sustain injuries along the way, some could impact your life in a big way.

I could go on...

1. I don't think bodybuilders do it because they think they 'need' the muscles. It's more to do with self-improvement, competing against yourself, acheiving your goals, seeing your body change etc.

2. Time spent doing something you enjoy isn't time wasted.

3. Depends on the extent. The dudes in OP's photos won't look like that all year round. They're super cut, dehydrated and are tanned. Also, most body builders won't look like that, or want to look that extreme.

4. You can do both, which is kind of the point OP is trying to make. They're not mutually exclusive.

5. Fair enough.

6. Weightlifting isn't all that risky if you look at the statistics. Like anything, it depends on how sensible you are, knowing your limits and being safe.
Reply 14
Original post by Mother Teresa
You're right but does social intelligence really matter in the grand scheme of things? And you can't deny that social intelligence can be feigned quite easily.

clearly not, as a large proportion of members here show, for all their acedemic acheivements, they come across incredibly conceited, and incredibly sheltered to the outside world.
Throwing out a few examples bucking the trend doesn't refute the stereotype.

There's a reason the stereotype exists. All you have to do is look at many of the bodybuilding forums to see why it exists. The problem is you're talking about a pursuit that revolves around vanity. Of course you're going to attract all the dumbasses to something like that. Nobody said all bodybuilders are idiots, but it's true a lot of them are.
Reply 16
Original post by Chocothunder
"contemporary society"

"contemporary society"

"contemporary society"

"contemporary society"

You have failed to assimilate. You are quick to dismiss one of the great philosphers, simply because his quote is 'out-dated'? The more things change, the more they stay the same. The fact that that poster assumed 'smart people' will only build enough muscle to pertain to other peoples opinions of a well built body is the fallacy of his point; that people dont necessarily take part on bodybuilding for outside value, rather the sense of accomplishment in creating a physique that THEY want.
Reply 17
Original post by Genocidal
Throwing out a few examples bucking the trend doesn't refute the stereotype.

There's a reason the stereotype exists. All you have to do is look at many of the bodybuilding forums to see why it exists. The problem is you're talking about a pursuit that revolves around vanity. Of course you're going to attract all the dumbasses to something like that. Nobody said all bodybuilders are idiots, but it's true a lot of them are.

everything humans do revolves around altruism, helping people may seem like it is a selfless act, but is it really? You help others because of the satisfaction YOU recieve from giving help, if there was no benefit to giving help, you wouldnt bother.
So gross
Original post by Doob
everything humans do revolves around altruism, helping people may seem like it is a selfless act, but is it really? You help others because of the satisfaction YOU recieve from giving help, if there was no benefit to giving help, you wouldnt bother.

are you going to respond to everyone's rebuttals with tenuously linked statements? :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest