whats Oxbridge take on retakers? Watch

Spar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
I have BBCb grades after my a-levels, i changed my mind about what i wanted to study at uni so declined all my offers and was going through clearing with my predicted A grades. I would have gone to university this year but BBC was only giving me unis out of the top 10.

Now what makes me want to retake is the fact that i was 4, 6 and 10 marks away from As in my B subjects. So, potentially i would only have to take 6 exams to get AAAa - 3 exams for AACa.but likely do more to safely get the A grades.

I would like to do an Economics or an Economics related degree, my a-levels were maths, physics, economics and english lit. i was thinking of maybe taking further maths AS just to boost my application and account for the extra year.

I know LSE is out of the window, but how is oxbridge or even ucl, bristol and warwick likely see me? I am certain my refrences will be strong.
Ahmed2526
Report 12 years ago
wi is LSE out the window?
Nutter
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Honestly (and please take this in your stride), I think the chances of you getting an offer at Oxbridge with BBC at A Level and no AEAs are very close to 0, especially for Economics-related courses like E&M/EEM/PPE at Oxford an straight Economics at Cambridge. Competition is just way too stiff that even the most impressive of personal statements and references would have a hard time swaying the admissions tutors in your favour. That said though, it's just 1 of 6 choices you have, and you'll never know till you try, so go ahead.

Same thing goes with LSE - Economics is their most competitive course/their pride and gaining admission with BBC has been unheard of in recent years.

Good luck.
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd be interested in this actually. I have AAAC. One A's an AVCE which is why Edinburgh wouldn't let me in (long story). Were I to resit the dodgy module and get that C up to an A/B (since I'm going to have to do it for Edinburgh anyway) what would they think? Do they accept AVCEs anyway so I wouldn't have to worry? It's not exactly a full retake. I just had a bad oral exam which pulled my Spanish grade right down.

I'm not just sitting on my arse this year either. I'm off to Salamanca University, going to come back and do that one resit in January and then I'm off to do some volunteering and conservation in South America.

Maybe I can make the best out of a bad thing and get into Oxbridge this time around. This would be for English or English and Spanish.
WokSz
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Brotherhood)
I'd be interested in this actually. I have AAAC. One A's an AVCE which is why Edinburgh wouldn't let me in (long story). Were I to resit the dodgy module and get that C up to an A/B (since I'm going to have to do it for Edinburgh anyway) what would they think? Do they accept AVCEs anyway so I wouldn't have to worry? It's not exactly a full retake. I just had a bad oral exam which pulled my Spanish grade right down.

I'm not just sitting on my arse this year either. I'm off to Salamanca University, going to come back and do that one resit in January and then I'm off to do some volunteering and conservation in South America.

Maybe I can make the best out of a bad thing and get into Oxbridge this time around. This would be for English or English and Spanish.
Give it a go! You have nothing to lose do you !

I actually have a question regarding retakes: If we have already sat an A-Level but didn't get the grade we wanted and are retaking, should we mention the old grade into UCAS, or just put pending?
Reading Room
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm sure I read somewhere in Cambridge's material (or it could just have been from one particular college) that they "don't usually" consider people who have retaken year 13 to resit.

But I'm not sure, so don't quote me!

Probably the most straightforward and trustworthy way of finding out is to find a comfortable chair and telephone every college at the university to find out their exact position on resits. It may take a while, but at least you will know for sure.

Good luck!
Brotherhood
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's not exactly that though is it? I mean I already have AAA and wanting to boost my other grade for the sake of it, even when I don't need to shows commitment (I hope). That's what's got me confused. I'm only resitting one module, not the whole year. :/
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I just received an e-mail from the Oxford admissions office regarding this issue and their answer was that they accept people who have redone 13th Grade, but on condition that they are able to show commitment and ability to do well at Oxford.
guccilittlepiggy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
theres someone on this board who did retakes and is now at oxford doing something economics related.
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Easy as ABC)
I'm sure I read somewhere in Cambridge's material (or it could just have been from one particular college) that they "don't usually" consider people who have retaken year 13 to resit.

But I'm not sure, so don't quote me!
Retaking a few units doesn't mean retaking year 13, you can retake without formal teaching..... but I wonder what's oxbridges' rule is on this
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
There is no particular rule. I'm not sure about Cambridge, but Oxford doesn't really seem to 'mind' students who remain active academically during their Gap Year by redoing A-Levels. However, like I said previously, you need to show potential at interview.
lil_sweetie
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got ABBb in my AS', was predicted all As though - am doing one or two retakes - do you think I have a chance? (sorry to hijack lol)
Nutter
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by lil_sweetie)
I got ABBb in my AS', was predicted all As though - am doing one or two retakes - do you think I have a chance? (sorry to hijack lol)
Yes, everyone has a chance, though yours is admittedly lesser than those with AAA+ at AS.

Mention in your application that you are taking some retakes. Also be prepared to answer why you want to retake those subjects/why you think you got such grades etc. Wouldn't be very impressive to stammer at such questions or spit out a ridiculous answer.
Barney2
Report 12 years ago
Have just left Yr13 and I am having a serious re think on what I want to read at uni and where I want to go (due to lower than predicted grades) so have opted for a Gap year and then apply for 2007 entry.
My question is, I was predicted 3A's at A2 and want to proceed with applications to unis in the top 10 including Oxbridge.
How would Oxbridge (and others) view my application if I re-took my Physics to get the predicted A-grade or maybe self-studied another A-level in my gap year to make my application more acceptable?

A levels: Economics (A), History(A), Physics(B), General Studies (A)
AS levels: Maths (A)
GCSEs: 10A*s, 2As

Thanks
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Barney2)
Have just left Yr13 and I am having a serious re think on what I want to read at uni and where I want to go (due to lower than predicted grades) so have opted for a Gap year and then apply for 2007 entry.
My question is, I was predicted 3A's at A2 and want to proceed with applications to unis in the top 10 including Oxbridge.
How would Oxbridge (and others) view my application if I re-took my Physics to get the predicted A-grade or maybe self-studied another A-level in my gap year to make my application more acceptable?

A levels: Economics (A), History(A), Physics(B), General Studies (A)
AS levels: Maths (A)
GCSEs: 10A*s, 2As

Thanks
May I start off by saying your academic record is very good. To see that you're doing a gap year is good, as you seem determined to get into a good university. I would retake the Physics exam and give it a go. Do you have any other plans for your gap year or do you just want to redo a few modules? I would say do another A-Level if you feel you aren't doing anything else.
Mustard-man
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by WokSz)
I would say do another A-Level if you feel you aren't doing anything else.
Another A-level in one year??
Alternativly the person could finish the Maths A-level by doing A2.
WokSz
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Mustard-man)
Another A-level in one year??
Alternativly the person could finish the Maths A-level by doing A2.
Ah yes, forgot one had to also do the AS. My Apologies. I agree with you on this point Mustard-Man. Maybe the person should do an A2 in Maths, and maybe even do Further Maths? I don't know. It's really up to you as to whether you can cope with it.
Barney2
Report 12 years ago
thanks

what is Oxbridge view on this though?? is it a waste of time or would I be considered equally along with other applications?
Barney2
Report 12 years ago
thanks will - good advice
Dr Pip
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I am in a similar situation. Missed my 5 As by around 5 marks. Ended up with AAaBB. my little A is a self-taught philosophy AS in 4 months.

I've got a scholarship to travel around europe and write an academic paper. I still want to apply for cambridge SPS and will be re-taking politics and english modules and my philosophy A2 in the summer.

i'm hoping my gap year will speak well for me. it's only one place on a UCAS and i've not got any alternative courses i'd be interested in. are chances slim now that I ****ed up a few modules?

And LSE do accept re-take students, they just stress it's harder.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?

Yes (151)
18.04%
No (510)
60.93%
Not really bothered about them (176)
21.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise