A2 Choices Help! Watch

Lykabelle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hi guys,

Well I've got my AS level results and I'm very pleased with them however I'm really unsure about which subjects to take to A2. I am definately taking Maths and Economics since I want to study Economics at university (I'm aiming for top unis such as Cambridge, LSE, Warwick...). So now I have to choose between Chemistry and French. I like French as a subject and I always have but my teachers are not very good and perhaps I might struggle in A2 because of my teachers and I know French (Edexcel) is quite a demanding subject at A2. Chemistry is also quite demanding as there is a high coursework element (exam board- OCR Salters) however if I take it to A2, I'll get really good teachers and perhaps I'll enjoy it more. I'm guessing that there'll only be about 4 people in my French class. As to which one I think I'm better in, I think I'm stronger in Chemistry overall but the difference is quite small.

There is also the option of taking 4A2s which some people may feel that I would be able to do but I don't want to overload myself and I think it may be better to concentrate on 3A2s. Moreover I'm also considering taking AEA Economics and perhaps AEA Critical Thinking since I did well in those subjects at AS level but that's only a thought and I don't know whether I should. Do you recommend it, especially if you've taken any of these AEAs?

Thanks in advance.
Greenmile
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It may be worth starting off with 4, see how you go because you can always drop one later in the year. It will also give you an idea of which subject you are more likely to cope with and do better in. You may even decide to continue with all 4 subjects and get fab grades in all of them.
PaddyK
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yeh, it's best to try 4A2s for a while and see how it goes, french might be better at A2 due to the small class size you should get more attention and better teaching.
Purple
Badges: 15
Report 12 years ago
I would drop French and do the AEAs.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Cool, thanks for the input so far. I also forgot to mention that my 6th form doesn't do A2 Critical Thinking and I don't want to necessarily do it anyway.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If the difference is very small, I think you should just go with the subject you enjoy more. A2s are quite a bit harder than ASs and you'll need to be very motivated to do well, which will be a lot easier if you're enjoying what you're studying. Have a look at the A2 specifications for both French and chemistry and see which you think interests you more. Try not to dwell too much on class sizes and teaching because I know you're very bright and you work very hard, so I'm sure you could do well regardless As for the AEAs, doing economics would show commitment and a willingness to be challenged since it's what you want to do at uni, but I don't see the point in doing Critical Thinking, especially as you said you don't really want to. By the way, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have on A2 French- I did Edexcel too.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
If the difference is very small, I think you should just go with the subject you enjoy more. A2s are quite a bit harder than ASs and you'll need to be very motivated to do well, which will be a lot easier if you're enjoying what you're studying. Have a look at the A2 specifications for both French and chemistry and see which you think interests you more. Try not to dwell too much on class sizes and teaching because I know you're very bright and you work very hard, so I'm sure you could do well regardless As for the AEAs, doing economics would show commitment and a willingness to be challenged since it's what you want to do at uni, but I don't see the point in doing Critical Thinking, especially as you said you don't really want to. By the way, I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have on A2 French- I did Edexcel too.
Thanks. Btw I was talking about not taking A2 Critical Thinking not AEA-which I am considering doing.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
any more opinions?
Fuzzy_Hamster
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would say to go with French over Chemistry..French would be more helpfull for your career, in the sence that if you do a job with Economics you would be able to use French to talk to a wider range of people!Giving you an advantage, where as Chemistry (being respected) has no real advantage..
Thats what I think anyway.
brown
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I would say to go with French over Chemistry..French would be more helpfull for your career, in the sence that if you do a job with Economics you would be able to use French to talk to a wider range of people!Giving you an advantage, where as Chemistry (being respected) has no real advantage..
Thats what I think anyway.
I agree. In an ever-changing world, a language is a real asset. Flexibility is an important quality to possess! You do mention that you think you are slightly better at Chemistry - however do want you think you will enjoy more.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Thanks for the replies. I do recognise how important it is to have a language these days.

I'm now considering taking 4 Alevels and seeing how it goes. However I'm going to send off my UCAS form early because of the Cambridge deadline. Do you think the unis I'm thinking of applying to (Cam, LSE, Warwick, Bristol, Bath, Royal Holloway) will make a 4 a level offer e.g. AAAA making life harder for myself or will it be more AAAB/AABB or are they likely to stick to their usually 3 a levels offer?
Elusive Moose
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
They can make 4 A Level offers, but I'd've thought that most of the time they'd stick to 3 ones. But it is a possibility (though if you dropped one I can't imagine they'd take the offer away, but phoning them up and explaining the situation might be an added hassle that you don't want)
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
yeah that's the thing, i don't want it to be a hassle in case i decide to drop a subject.
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm pretty sure only Cambridge ever make 4 grade offers out of those unis, and even then it's quite rare.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
Thanks everybody for the replies. I decided to take French to A level and drop Chemistry because I enjoy French as a subject more even though my teachers may not be that good.
anon53
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm glad you've managed to make a decision. I'm sure you'll succeed.

Good luck for next year.
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by shauncouldstone)
I'm glad you've managed to make a decision. I'm sure you'll succeed.

Good luck for next year.
Thank you
kellywood_5
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lykabelle)
Thanks everybody for the replies. I decided to take French to A level and drop Chemistry because I enjoy French as a subject more even though my teachers may not be that good.
Excellent choice, not that I'm biased in any way :p:
Lykabelle
Rep:
?
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Excellent choice, not that I'm biased in any way :p:
lol, course you're not
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.95%
No (513)
72.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed