Maths proof Watch

This discussion is closed.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Prove that the triangle of greatest area that fits completely inside a circle is an equilateral triangle.

I just randomly thought up this question. I had a go but got confused. I'll try later as well, but I'll put it up here if anyone else wants to try.
Ralfskini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Prove that the triangle of greatest area that fits completely inside a circle is an equilateral triangle.

I just randomly thought up this question. I had a go but got confused. I'll try later as well, but I'll put it up here if anyone else wants to try.

If you thought the question up randomly then how do you know that the triangle of greatest area that can fit inside a circle IS an equilateral triangle.
[email protected]
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Ralfskini)
If you thought the question up randomly then how do you know that the triangle of greatest area that can fit inside a circle IS an equilateral triangle.
It is! I don't know why.
Would you have to get into some calculus? Maximising area etc. I've done a q similar to this before. I'll try and dig it out.
john !!
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Good point. I added "or provide a counterexample", but decided to remove it because 'it obviously is an equilateral triangle'. That was my thought process I just quoted. :cool:

Maximum implies calculus. You need to set a limit of the traingle's dimensions so that it is bound by a circle, substitute something, and then differentiate and put the gradient to zero. But the problem is, unlike with a rectangle/square, there aren't two lengths, but three. So the part before the substitution seems like it'll be quite complicated.
Ralfskini
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)
Good point. I added "or provide a counterexample", but decided to remove it because 'it obviously is an equilateral triangle'. That was my thought process I just quoted. :cool:

Maximum implies calculus. You need to set a limit of the traingle's dimensions so that it is bound by a circle, substitute something, and then differentiate and put the gradient to zero. But the problem is, unlike with a rectangle/square, there aren't two lengths, but three. So the part before the substitution seems like it'll be quite complicated.
The two limits to use would be perpendicular height and the length of the side from which the perpendicular is dropped.
theone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)

Well one way I've thought of amounts to showing the expression f(x,y) = sin(x+y) + sin(x) + sin(y), with x and y < 180, is maximised when x = y = 120. I'll think about proving this later, but I'm busy now.
4Ed
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i haven't really got time to think of a proof, as I'm at work atm, but I reckon you could break down the proof into two parts.

First, prove that for a given chord on a circle, the maximum area generated by a triangle using that chord as a base occurs when the other two lines are of equal length (an isoceles traingle).

Then, look at an isoceles triangle from a given point, where the base of the triangle varies in length. and prove that the maximum area will occur when the base length is equal to the other two sides.

Do people reckon that's a good way to think about it?
mikesgt2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by theone)
Well one way I've thought of amounts to showing the expression f(x,y) = sin(x+y) + sin(x) + sin(y), with x and y < 180, is maximised when x = y = 120. I'll think about proving this later, but I'm busy now.
Isn't it f(x,y) = sin(x) + sin(y) - sin(x+y) ?
Fermat
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
A simple geometrical proof will show that for any triangle within a circle, its max area is given when it is isosceles.

Continuing from there.

Looking at Fig 1. and taking similar triangles.

AD/DB = DC/AB

AD²=DB.DC

Also.

DC=D-DB, where D is the diameter of the circle

Area of triangle CEA,

A=½base x height
A=½.AE.DC
A=¼.AD.DC

Substituting for AD,

4A=√DB.√DC.DC
4A=√DB.(D-DB)^(3/2)

Now differentiate and equate to zero to find the maximum.

d(4A)/d(DB)=½.DB^(-½)(D-DB)^(3/2) -(3/2).DB^(½).(D-DB)^(½)

Since d(4A)/d(DB)=0, we get,

1/(2√DB).(D-DB)^(3/2) = (3DB)/(2√DB).(D-DB)^(1/2)
(D-DB) = 3DB
D=4DB
DB=D/4
======

DB=D/4
=> DC=3D/4
==========

AD²=(D/4).(3D/4)=3D²/16
AD=√3D/4
========

tan CAD = DC/AD = (3D/4)/(√3D/4)
tan CAD = (3/4).(4/√3) = √3

=> CAD = 60°
Attached files
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fermat)
A simple geometrical proof will show that for any triangle within a circle, its max area is given when it is isoceles.

Continuing from there.

AD/DB = DC/AB

AD²=DB.DC

Also.

Area of triangle CEA,

A=½base x height
A=½.AE.DC
A=¼.AD.DC

Substituting for AD,

4A=√DB.√DC.DC
4A=√DB.(D-DB)^(3/2)

(D-DB) = 3DB
D=4DB
DB=D/4
======

DB=D/4
=> DC=3D/4
==========

AD²=(D/4).(3D/4)=3D²/16
AD=√3D/4
========

tan CDA = DC/AD = (3D/4)/(√3D/4)
tan CDA = (3/4).(4/√3) = √3

=> CDA = 60°
Wow, superb.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Fermat)
A simple geometrical proof will show that for any triangle within a circle, its max area is given when it is isosceles.

Continuing from there.

AD/DB = DC/AB

AD²=DB.DC

Also.

Area of triangle CEA,

A=½base x height
A=½.AE.DC
A=¼.AD.DC

Substituting for AD,

4A=√DB.√DC.DC
4A=√DB.(D-DB)^(3/2)

(D-DB) = 3DB
D=4DB
DB=D/4
======

DB=D/4
=> DC=3D/4
==========

AD²=(D/4).(3D/4)=3D²/16
AD=√3D/4
========

tan CAD = DC/AD = (3D/4)/(√3D/4)
tan CAD = (3/4).(4/√3) = √3

=> CAD = 60°
so following my idea worked then! woohoo

glad to see my maths brain cells havent died off completely (tho i probably wouldn't know how to do the above )
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mikesgt2)
Isn't it f(x,y) = sin(x) + sin(y) - sin(x+y) ?
I don't think so, since sin(360-x-y) = sin(x+y)?
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Does this involve partial differentials and Lagrange multipliers?
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Nylex)
Does this involve partial differentials and Lagrange multipliers?
I hope there's a way to avoid it
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
theone, what do you think of fermat's proof?
Nylex
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You seem to know your stuff though.
theone
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
In all honesty, I think it's fine, but don't particularly like it because it uses calculus.
4Ed
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
In all honesty, I think it's fine, but don't particularly like it because it uses calculus.
can you think of a non calculus way to solve it? i probably would have ended up using calculus myself...
makesomenoise
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bono)
The margin ain't big enough :rolleyes:
davey_boy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mik1a)

If you want to go further - prove that for any polygon with a given number of sides, the polygon of greatest area that fits completely inside a circle is a regular polygon (i.e. equilateral triangle for a polygon with 3 sides, square for a polygon with 4 sides, regular pentagon etc.....).
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (636)
91.12%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (62)
8.88%

Watched Threads