The Student Room Group

How much do I need to save before uni? I'm going this September already saved some

I am going to uni in about 3 months in sept and wondered how much people have saved up ?
I've been lucky enough to get an internship this summer, the money isn't amazing, but it means I'll be able to have about £30 a week extra spending money for every week in my first year - which could be really useful for freshers' week.
Original post by ShannonMillar95
I am going to uni in about 3 months in sept and wondered how much people have saved up ?

How long is a piece of string? Depends how much loan you're getting, how much your parents are giving you, whether you intend to work at uni and the lifestyle you plan to live.
Original post by Pro Crastination
I've been lucky enough to get an internship this summer, the money isn't amazing, but it means I'll be able to have about £30 a week extra spending money for every week in my first year - which could be really useful for freshers' week.

This ^

Same applies for me.
It depends on basically everything. How much is your accom? How much are your parents contributing? How much loan/grsnt do you get? Are you getting a bursary from the uni? What do you want to live like - ie do you want to go drinking a couple of times a week or are you happy living off pasta and being frugal all the time? Is there anything special you need for your course?

Basically: figure out how much you need and figure it out from there. Groceries seem to fall between £20-£35 for most people per week (at least for the people I know). You should be able to work things out from there.
(edited 9 years ago)
I am getting a grant and a loan from uni and I am not getting anything from my mum but she is helping me but things for uni. Thanks guys I just wanted to see if I could get the rough amount of money before uni:-)
Save as much as you can. Im getting only the maintenence grant (the lowest too, like 3500). Thats it. Didly squat after that.

But i also reccommend not getting a student bank account. Youre likely to end up in debt that way. Whereas with a normal account you only use what there is in the account. You wont eventually have to pay back even more because you went onto OD.. etcetc. Js.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice and I won't get a uni bank account :smile:
You may as well sort a student account out before you go as you will get one at some point! The overdraft isn't a huge issue, pay it nice and quickly when you find a job- at some point you will need an extra few hundred.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending