The Student Room Group

A Level Subjects - Law

I am currently awaiting my GCSE results, and am strongly considering taking a degree in Law after completing my A Levels, however i am now faced with the decision as to which A Levels i should take. I have been viewing various university prospectuses and they talk of 'preferred subjects' however i am a little confused as to what these are?

If i want to go to a good university to study Law, which would be the best combination of A Levels to take? And what are the considered the 'strong' or 'preferred academic' subjects?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Polkadotprincess.xx

Scroll to see replies

history, maths, scienes, english, politics, economics, the list goes on ... just say what you fancy... basically stuff like art which is hard but not really academic is not appreciated.
Reply 2
Basically just avoid the subjects on LSE's black list and you should be perfectly fine for any uni for law.

LSE
Applicants normally offer three A levels (A2s) in our generally preferred subjects, or two generally preferred subjects and one from the following list (this list is regularly reviewed by Admissions Tutors and is comprehensive at the time of going to press):

Accounting
Art and Design
Business Studies
Communication Studies
Dance
Design and Technology
Drama/Theatre Studies
Home Economics
Information and Communication Technology
Law
Media Studies
Sports Studies

http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/undergraduateProspectus2007/howToApply.htm#generated-subheading5

Although out of that list...A level Law is brilliant and I have no regrets in taking it (I did get rejected from LSE btw) , and im sure it will help me loads when I start my LLB next month.
A level law is a dubious one

some unis dont really like it (i know nottm dont) cos ppl think they know it all when they go in and arent open to the fact that they need far more detail at uni... i know ppl who did a level law and do other subjects and say "oh, ive done that" then im like "oh really, its wrong ... have you done these cases?" then i slap them down and send them home for pretending to know anything.
Reply 4
Sure. But as long you dont go into uni thinking you know it all, then I think its a definite advantage having that little bit of background knowledge. I mean of course the LLB is going to be in far greater detail, but surely what we were taught in the A level were not lies and knowing that little bit about about the ciminial/civil law will help at the beggining when trying to get to grips with it. Whilst for those who havent done A level Law, it wil all be new terminology and new concepts. I think it will help me when settling in at the start of the course.
Thanks for the advice guys, i'm definately thinking of taking History, English Literature and French, its just the fourth one that i can't decide on.

I am considering either maths or business studies, i know maths would be the best option, but i'm not sure if i am capable of an A, whereas i'm fairly positive that i would be capable of an A in Business studies, however Business studies is on the 'black list' as you called it.

Another option open to me is psycology, however is this considered as a mickey mouse subject?

What would you suggest?
Good top 3. Personally I consider psychology to be a bit of a doss, as I have looked at ppls work at uni and been horrified by it lol. Maths is the best option imo.
Reply 7
MATHS. if not maths...consider economics?
Would a university consider

AAAB in englit, history, french, maths

better than

AAAA in englit, history, french, business studies

And do universities consider a mixture of arts and science subjects better than all arts or all science subjects?

Sorry about all the questions, your replies are greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 9
Originally Posted by polkadotprincess
And do universities consider a mixture of arts and science subjects better than all arts or all science subjects?

erm..tbh im not really sure..depends on the uni and the combination of subjects. i know many ppl who got into top unis wit 3 sciences and maths. i had a relatively art-sy combination: englit, music, economics, maths, general studies, and still got accepted into top unis.

i think your englit, history, french combination is already very strong..so mayb the fourth subject wont matter as much..and i do think maths is more valuable then business studies.
i had chem, phys, maths and hist,,, all strong As and got rejected by durham, warwick and cambridge (but thats just alottery).
thanks for your advice. sounds like law is going to be pretty tough, as it sounds like it is very competitive, but i'm determined. I'm going to wait for my GCSE results, and if i do well in maths, i'm going to take it at AS, and i may even possibly start business studies as well, then i always have the option of dropping maths if i am finding it too difficult.

Feel free to add any more comments.

Polkadotpricness :smile: :suith: :suith: xxx
AS maths is not much harder than GCSE, all of maths imo was fairly easy for a-level.
Reply 13
hehehe good luck wit your GCSE results :wink:
having said that my AS clas was 17 ppl and only 4 failed, and the 13 who failed all had A at GCSE, but my school was shoddy for A-levels despite being awesome for GCSEs. the sixth form was just a gash dept.
Reply 15
Dont do maths if you think you wont get the A. I did Law, Govt and Politics, Sociology & Critical Thinking and got As in all four. I say just play smart and go for the ones which you think you will get the As in. Dont, however, do business studies...thats a true micky mouse subject. But like I said, anything thats not on LSE black list should be perfectly fine. Something like Psychology or Sociology could be your ideal choice as your very likely to get an A in them.

Lewis...you consider all A levels to a doss!! Not suprised the slightest you got rejected from those uni's even with your grades. Just shows...grades arent everything..its also about how you appear to others
Lewis-HuStuJCR
AS maths is not much harder than GCSE, all of maths imo was fairly easy for a-level.

Yes it is. AS Maths is a whole different ball game to GCSE Maths (which even at 'higher' level is very straightforward).

I got an A* in Maths GCSE and despite that I wouldn't recommend doing AS Maths if you think 'oh well I did jolly well at GCSE so that must mean I can do just as good at AS'. Not true. However, if you think you have a good mathematical ability and like the subject then by all means you should go for it.

A lot of students at top Law universities have studied Maths A-level and it is something that all universities regard highly. That is another reason to do it.
Ur just thick :P. AS maths is pish. Having said that it was my best subject at school and I did a-level at 15 :redface:.
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Ur just thick :P. AS maths is pish. Having said that it was my best subject at school and I did a-level at 15 :redface:.

Now now Lewisy-boy, just remember your real reason for doing A-level subjects at the age of 15......you were crap at getting girls :p:
Actually its because I was a year ahead at school my birthday is late and i did it all in one year because my initial intention was to do further maths and apply for medicine, but then i decided against it and applied for law instead!!

I only just turned 19 and I have finished 2nd year, if i wasnt abroad i could graduate aged 20 ... scary huh.

Latest

Trending

Trending