no,iamspartacus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Do you think this is wise? I got A in lit and A in lang at GCSE. I want to take English and History at uni next year. Do you think it is a good idea to do A2 Biology, A2 History, A2 English and AS English all in one year?
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by no,iamspartacus)
Do you think this is wise? I got A in lit and A in lang at GCSE. I want to take English and History at uni next year. Do you think it is a good idea to do A2 Biology, A2 History, A2 English and AS English all in one year?
I did A-level English Language and A-level English Literature at the same time, and the amount of content you will have to learn in both years are really immense, like honestly. HUGE amount of time for exam AND coursework.

Which English A-level are you going to take?
Imrankhan987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Cool_JordH)
I did A-level English Language and A-level English Literature at the same time, and the amount of content you will have to learn in both years are really immense, like honestly. HUGE amount of time for exam AND coursework.

Hey, how did you do in A level English Lang ? Did my first year and just waiting for results. Question: would i lose serious marks if i dont group 2 out of the 8 texts they give us for section A? I talked about the others just didnt do 2 of em due to time
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Imrankhan987)
Hey, how did you do in A level English Lang ? Did my first year and just waiting for results. Question: would i lose serious marks if i dont group 2 out of the 8 texts they give us for section A? I talked about the others just didnt do 2 of em due to time
I did alright. I prefered AS to A2. I A2 coursework was really annoying as we could only do Spoken Language.

I was on AQA A, so I do believe from your response you must be on a different exam board. However, is there any minimum texts that the examiners say you should go for? For example, in English Lit they advise us to use at least one Wider Reading reference in each genres.

What exam board are you with?
Imrankhan987
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did alright. I prefered AS to A2. I A2 coursework was really annoying as we could only do Spoken Language.

I was on AQA A, so I do believe from your response you must be on a different exam board. However, is there any minimum texts that the examiners say you should go for? For example, in English Lit they advise us to use at least one Wider Reading reference in each genres.

What exam board are you with?
Ahhh i'm with AQA B not A lol damn , need to find out if my marks will drop if i didnt categorise all texts given
no,iamspartacus
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

Literature...I'm having second thoughts, i don't want to mess up my other alevels
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by no,iamspartacus)
Literature...I'm having second thoughts, i don't want to mess up my other alevels
Well, the question is: do you need an extra A-level? If you do then perhaps pick something that's less demanding? however, the only good thing about English and other humanities subjects, are; they provide a good fall back for coursework, even though it's only worth 30% of your A-level, it's still significant.

If you enjoy reading that's fine, but you must be willing to not just read literature, but to study it also. If you don't think you are capable of doing this, I wouldn't recommend it.

I personally would say go for it if you were going for the AS, but English Literature is a traditional subject, so it will be difficult. Also, it's the sort of subject, you develop your skills over the two years. A2 you learn HOW to go into better depths and your (my) essay writing sophistically changed at A2, I'm just worried you won't have the time to develop this and when it comes to writing for an A2 paper, you will still be used to writing at an AS standard because marks get rewarded for your written expression and examiners expect you to write like everyone else - in an A2 manner. The examiners won't know whether you are studying all modules in one year, if you haven't got that form right when you write, it won't do you good. Unfortunately, this is how English exams go.

However, if you do feel confident and you will have a good teacher/good texts then go for it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (257)
33.86%
No (502)
66.14%

Watched Threads