Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Applying for LSE, 2015 entry

Anyone applying in 2014/15 or 2016 ?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The entry requirements are A*AA for a reason, and hundreds of applicants will be predicted/have achieved at least that or higher. I can't see you having much success with ABB, even with a good personal statement.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by TeenReem
I would really like to study at LSE once Im finished with sixth form to study law. However the requirements are A*AA, Do I have a realistic chance getting in with ABB with a strong personal statement ? Ive heard some people have been accepted with grades such as AAB, I have a big passion to study there but the only aspect holding me back is my grades and everything seems to be out of my hand. Can someone give me some advice for my situation and what I could do please ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You said it yourself- 'the requirements are A*AA' So you will need A*AA in your A-levels in order to go there :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by joeymr
You said it yourself- 'the requirements are A*AA' So you will need A*AA in your A-levels in order to go there :smile:

Your ignoring the fact that others did so even with lower grades than what was required. Everyone seems to be looking down on me because they feel its unrealistic ? I have even read certain people got into oxford with AAB too and yet no one acknowledges this ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would really like to study at LSE once Im finished with sixth form to study law. However the requirements are A*AA, Do I have a realistic chance getting in with ABB with a strong personal statement ? Ive heard some people have been accepted with grades such as AAB, I have a big passion to study there but the only aspect holding me back is my grades and everything seems to be out of my hand. Can someone give me some advice for my situation and what I could do please ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume you're in year 12, doing AS levels at the moment.

Well, I'm not sure about the admissions policy of LSE, but in general, Unis would give a conditional offer that you have to meet, in which your specific case is usually A*AA. They could also give different offers for different people due to varying circumstances, so some may get A*AA condition while others may get AAA.

Then there is an issue of meeting the conditions. So for example, if your offer is AAA, and you get AAB, they may still give you a place depending on whether they really want you in their uni.

So, in theory, you could get in with an AAB, if you are made an offer of AAA, but get AAB due to circumstances beyond your control. However, the chances are unlikely. It requires the uni to deviate from their usual conditional offer of A*AA to AAA, and the uni also has to want to give leeway for missing a grade.

Having said that, by all means, apply to LSE if you really want to. The reason being is that if you apply, you have a chance of being accepted(although it seems quite slim), but if you don't apply, your chances are zero. But, LSE doesn't have to be the end all be all. There are lots of good unis out there that have fantastic law programmes that may suit you.

EDIT: Before anyone quotes this post, please look at my response given to the OP a few posts down.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Your ignoring the fact that others did so even with lower grades than what was required. Everyone seems to be looking down on me because they feel its unrealistic ? I have even read certain people got into oxford with AAB too and yet no one acknowledges this ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

But it is unrealistic. There is no point sugarcoating a strict admissions policy. LSE receive over 20,000 applications each year to fill about 1,000 spaces. Unless you have extenuating circumstances, I don't really see it being plausible to get onto an A*AA course with ABB. I have literally heard of no one at my time here who got onto the law course with less than A*AA. I don't know anyone at all at LSE who got onto a degree program with less than the required grades, to be perfectly honest.
Reply 6
Original post by 1drowssap
I assume you're in year 12, doing AS levels at the moment.

Well, I'm not sure about the admissions policy of LSE, but in general, Unis would give a conditional offer that you have to meet, in which your specific case is usually A*AA. They could also give different offers for different people due to varying circumstances, so some may get A*AA condition while others may get AAA.

Then there is an issue of meeting the conditions. So for example, if your offer is AAA, and you get AAB, they may still give you a place depending on whether they really want you in their uni.

So, in theory, you could get in with an AAB, if you are made an offer of AAA, but get AAB due to circumstances beyond your control. However, the chances are unlikely. It requires the uni to deviate from their usual conditional offer of A*AA to AAA, and the uni also has to want to give leeway for missing a grade.

Having said that, by all means, apply to LSE if you really want to. The reason being is that if you apply, you have a chance of being accepted(although it seems quite slim), but if you don't apply, your chances are zero. But, LSE doesn't have to be the end all be all. There are lots of good unis out there that have fantastic law programmes that may suit you.

This is what I was looking for cheers.

Its honestly depressing the fact I'm going to be discriminated against those with A* and A's but I've never stopped aiming high. With predicted ABB, its not going to stop me from applying to LSE or oxford. I still believe theres so much to it then just grades. Ive been determined to go to at least a top 10 uni its going to disappoint me intensively if I cant accomplish this long term objective Ive had.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
This is what I was looking for cheers.

Its honestly depressing the fact I'm going to be discriminated against those with A* and A's but I've never stopped aiming high. With predicted ABB, its not going to stop me from applying to LSE or oxford. I still believe theres so much to it then just grades. Ive been determined to go to at least a top 10 uni its going to disappoint me intensively if I cant accomplish this long term objective Ive had.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't realise that you were predicted ABB. Are you still doing AS levels? Or have you already finished A levels? Predicted grades are very important for unis, so even if you get A*AA in the end, because you were predicted ABB, your chances are severely reduced.
Have you ever thought of resitting your modules to achieve grades closer to their requirement? That's the only way to boost your chances.
Reply 8
I didn't realise that you were predicted ABB. Are you still doing AS levels? Or have you already finished A levels? Predicted grades are very important for unis, so even if you get A*AA in the end, because you were predicted ABB, your chances are severely reduced.
Have you ever thought of resitting your modules to achieve grades closer to their requirement? That's the only way to boost your chances.

My last exam is today and after that I would have done all my As for this year, but I feel confident that all the ones that I have done are above B's, presumably it will turn out to be like ABB due to the amount of effort I put in, If I get all all above B's then my school teachers said they will be predicting me AAA for next years A2's. This is great because it means I could still apply to LSE and perhaps get an unconditional offer. Im aware that you need to meet the grades to get in but I'm sure I could skim it. Im very determined to get there, I've been so passionate to do everything I can, I will get sample personal statements from students that have been accepted there and do my best to get mine as good as theirs if not better. I would really like to show the uni that Besides grades I can offer them so much. I have already planned on doing extra curriculum outside school which may increase my chances and have spoken to various teachers about it. Like my old teacher once youse to say "Its better to aim high and fail, than to aim low and achieve". At the end of the day even if I end up with CCC its not the end of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My last exam is today and after that I would have done all my As for this year, but I feel confident that all the ones that I have done are above B's, presumably it will turn out to be like ABB due to the amount of effort I put in, If I get all all above B's then my school teachers said they will be predicting me AAA for next years A2's. This is great because it means I could still apply to LSE and perhaps get an unconditional offer. Im aware that you need to meet the grades to get in but I'm sure I could skim it. Im very determined to get there, I've been so passionate to do everything I can, I will get sample personal statements from students that have been accepted there and do my best to get mine as good as theirs if not better. I would really like to show the uni that Besides grades I can offer them so much. I have already planned on doing extra curriculum outside school which may increase my chances and have spoken to various teachers about it. Like my old teacher once youse to say "Its better to aim high and fail, than to aim low and achieve". At the end of the day even if I end up with CCC its not the end of the world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's great to hear. Is there any chance that you could convince your teacher to give you an A*AA prediction? That will put your application in good stead.
Reply 10
That's great to hear. Is there any chance that you could convince your teacher to give you an A*AA prediction? That will put your application in good stead.

I believe it could be done. As long as I get BBB and above I'm sure my teachers will see my determination to increase these grades. However, I just hope that none are below C's otherwise that is likely to end my hopes. But fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anybody applying for the new PPE course?
Original post by the1akshay

I am! The course looks interesting, but I think the Oxford one looks better as a course. I am going to the open day, and we will see if it looks good. I don't know how competitive this course is going to be, Oxford has 15% acceptance rate, so if LSE is anything like that, as it doesn't have interview or exams, the grade requirements are going to be very high :/
I believe it could be done.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just going to add a little dose of reality as I'm starting Law at LSE in September and I've been through the process. In 2012 (the only statistic that's available), there were 2338 applicants and 186 first year students. So it's around 7% of applicants that end up at LSE. LSE give around 2.2-2.5 offers per place, so let's call it a 15% true acceptance rate. This was in 2012 and LSE becomes more competitive every year, so bear that in mind too.

In my application pool, a very large majority of students who were predicted A*AA were rejected because their grades weren't strong enough. LSE Law is competitive enough such that they could fill the entire student body with people predicted A*A*A or above - people with strong GCSEs too.

LSE does not use the lnat, so they're placing a lot more attention on grades - if you don't have 4 As at AS level, you're already at a significant disadvantage. You need to remember that LSE is probably the most competitive undergraduate institution in the UK - not necessarily the hardest to get into, but simply in terms of plain numbers.

If you have decent GCSEs and 4 As at AS, then by all means apply, but it's almost a lottery - it's a crazy number of applicants from all around the world.

I understand that this may not be exactly what you want to hear, but I think it's beneficial for you to understand the situation you're in now rather than later.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP - no chance. Don't waste one of your five choices.
Reply 15

Original post by Technicus
I am! The course looks interesting, but I think the Oxford one looks better as a course. I am going to the open day, and we will see if it looks good. I don't know how competitive this course is going to be, Oxford has 15% acceptance rate, so if LSE is anything like that, as it doesn't have interview or exams, the grade requirements are going to be very high :/

So am I but I agree the Oxford one seems better. Have you been to the open day yet? I figured that since its a new course not only will the applicants be less but its possible that the admissions policy will be less strict (wishful thinking, I know)
Original post by fzehra1
So am I but I agree the Oxford one seems better. Have you been to the open day yet? I figured that since its a new course not only will the applicants be less but its possible that the admissions policy will be less strict (wishful thinking, I know)

I'm going to the open day at the start of July. Hope to see you guys there. The one thing which does bother me a little is that the course is run by LSE's Philosophy faculty, so the emphasis will definitely be more on Philosophy than on the other disciplines. Which worries me, seeing as I'm least interested in Phil.
Reply 17
I'm going to the open day at the start of July. Hope to see you guys there. The one thing which does bother me a little is that the course is run by LSE's Philosophy faculty, so the emphasis will definitely be more on Philosophy than on the other disciplines. Which worries me, seeing as I'm least interested in Phil.

It doesnt seem like the course will be at par with Warwick and Durham. Oxford is a long shot

Original post by fzehra1

I am going to the open day on July 2nd, and i'll see what it is like then, but I certainly hope it doesn't focuss too much on the philosophy aspect. It shouldn't, looking at the course outline on the LSE website, but if you compare it to at Oxford- where it is run out of the Social Sciences department, not the philosophy department- it is annoying: I think loads of people will be more interested in the politics and the economics bits than the philosophy. Not sure if I am
Reply 19

You really shouldn't worry, LSE's philosophy department is very good. It's not your standard philosophy department; there is a large emphasis on philosophy of the sciences and the social sciences. If you look at modules it's very evenly spread across the 3 subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest