HELP: Lymphatic system question Watch

NStar95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How does the lymphatic system function differently when the body gets infected?
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NStar95)
How does the lymphatic system function differently when the body gets infected?
Think of the normal function of the lymphatic system--to carry lymph or tissue fluid from the interstitial or tissue spaces and dump it back in the blood.
Now think what are the components of this system. This system contains special structures called lymph nodes and lymphoid organs. The lymph nodes have clusters of B and T cells-which have an immunological function. These are the cells that carry out the body's defense during infection and inflammation.
Now think about the lymphoid organs like spleen and thymus. These are present in your central body cavity, and they play a role in making the B and T cells that function in immune response. Also they function to mature these cells so that they do not attack the body itself.
So based on this knowledge, you can tell how the lymphatic system can function differently when body is infected.
NStar95
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Dynamo123)
Think of the normal function of the lymphatic system--to carry lymph or tissue fluid from the interstitial or tissue spaces and dump it back in the blood.
Now think what are the components of this system. This system contains special structures called lymph nodes and lymphoid organs. The lymph nodes have clusters of B and T cells-which have an immunological function. These are the cells that carry out the body's defense during infection and inflammation.
Now think about the lymphoid organs like spleen and thymus. These are present in your central body cavity, and they play a role in making the B and T cells that function in immune response. Also they function to mature these cells so that they do not attack the body itself.
So based on this knowledge, you can tell how the lymphatic system can function differently when body is infected.
Thanks for your response.
Does it mean that the lymphatic system cannot carry out its normal functions when there is an infection?
Dynamo123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NStar95)
Thanks for your response.
Does it mean that the lymphatic system cannot carry out its normal functions when there is an infection?
Well, this can be a complicated discussion at your level. The lymphatic system will carry out its primary function of transporting tissue fluid as well as the secondary function of immune response. However, sometimes, it may not perform its primary function due to more focus on the secondary function. As a result, fluid will start to accumulate in the tissue spaces, leading to a condition known as edema. Edema is nothing but excess fluid in the tissue spaces, and in the cavities of the body.
There are different conditions that may lead to edema. Also edema may not only be due to lymphatic impairment, This will enter a complicated discussion, which you won't really need. Just remember that it might or might not perform both functions.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
9.25%
I used to but I don't now (15)
2.62%
No, but I want to start (205)
35.78%
No, I am unable to (132)
23.04%
No, I chose not to (168)
29.32%